• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Will GMS2 support delta updates?

gnysek

I've noticed that every GMS2 update is heavy (150+MB), and requires full uninstall and install again.
I understand why this is done (previously in case of GMS1.x sometimes a bugs in IDE required uninstalling and installing again, cause update system was just unpacking files and wasn't able to delete/fix some issues), but I wonder do GMS2 will ever support smaller delta/patch updates (for hotfixes for example), so sometimes only a 5-10MB will be required to download and only breaking/bigger changes will require to download whole installer again?

codemouse

I don't know what's going on internally with YYG but I'm pretty sure that GMS2 currently requires a full reinstall simply because it's in beta. I'm sure they are focused on getting GMS2 up to launch quality first and making sure everyone is on the full install minimizes the number of things that could go wrong.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have no plans to introduce deltas or any other update mechanism... frankly the update mechanism on GMS1 has just caused problem after problem and Windows keeps getting in the way, MS really really only wants you to uninstall and then reinstall - so that is what we are doing...

They (MS) also make it hard to update the current running program and all the extra anti virus and other search tools that users install just make it a nightmare of file locks and unable to delete directories or files for random reasons (none of which are in our control), the safest mechanism is to do the update as we currently are.

I am looking at reducing the number of small files, as that really adds to the burden on top of everything and should speed the whole process up a lot (as on NTFS small files take a long time to write/delete in the installer/uninstaller), but that will only come over the next few months

Russell

Ednei

I know it's heavy to download 150 mb with each update. However I still prefer to completely reinstall the GM2. Unfortunately I have had bad experiences with the GM1.4 update.

gnysek

I know it's heavy to download 150 mb with each update. However I still prefer to completely reinstall the GM2. Unfortunately I have had bad experiences with the GM1.4 update.
Yeah, that's why I was only thinking about "partial" update. But if it's to have no problems anymore, and new versions won't come every day because of "forgot to merge" and "hotfixes", then that's not a problem, especially if new features are introduced with update ;)