Question - IDE Will GMS 2 Mobile get me desktop licence?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Andy McAdam, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Andy McAdam

Andy McAdam Member

Hi all,
    quick question on purchasing GMS 2 for mobile. Will this only let me publish to mobile (android+iOS) or will I also be able to publish to desktop? Would I use desktop for testing or be forced to use emulators or real devices?

Right now I'm using basic4android which compiles and runs my game on my phone in a few seconds, is GMS 2 similar?

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Hello! Okay, so the Mobile licence will only compile to Android and iOS, but you can test on your Windows/Mac without issues and you can also test on your own device(s) as well as the emulators provided by Android Studio and Xcode. As for build times, it'll depend on your game, ut in general the VM is very fast to compile for testing, while the YYC generally takes somewhat longer. A lot will depend on the scale of the game though... my latest "Ninja Leap" game compiles using the VM in about 8 seconds, and takes about 50 using the YYC. I would note that if you want to build for iOS you MUST have a Mac as Apple require their apps to be built on their hardware as well as a valid App Store developer licence, but for Android no such restriction exists (and it can be built on Mac or PC as long as you have Android Studio installed).