Alpha WildLike [New Video 2/27]

N

nicktheslayer95

WildLike
A System of Systems

Current Version:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/t6dcvpyfxv54d8w/WildLike A0.01.zip

Overview:
Spawned from my frustration with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, this game is intended to be a top-down action adventure game that exists as an answer to my complaint about many open-world adventure games. Games like Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3, etc, often offer a variety of systems that control the games world to instill a sense of realism, regardless of how well these systems are integrated into the game. For example, Dynamic Weather as a system in The Witcher and Skyrim does very little to alter the gameplay, serving mostly the aesthetic purpose of realism. BotW does fair a bit better with Dynamic Weather, however, does not fair as well as something like Oblivion did when accounting for the time of day, and how it affects the game.​
This leads the games' systems to feel disjointed from one another, causing the game to feel like a collection of systems, rather than a group of systems. Another issue I have are these games' complicated interfaces. For newcomers to the genre, the large complicated maps and intricate menus can act as a barrier, keeping the players from fully enjoying the game without feeling that they have to learn the in's and out's of the game very well. In short, this becomes an issue when players are given a complex method of interacting with simple systems, rather than a simple method of interacting with complex systems.​

Main Goals:
  • The game will act not as a group of systems, but as a system of systems.​
  • The game will offer not a complex way to deal with simple systems, but a simple way to interact with complex systems.​
  • to blow up, and act like i don't know nobody
Systems List: (will be updated with more systems, and explanations of each eventually)
  • 24 Hour Clock w/ Day/Night Cycle​
  • Biomes​
  • Weather, Including Wind Direction, Wind Speed, Temperature and Precipitation​
  • Weapon/Object Attributes​
  • Enemy Attributes​
  • AI Node-Based Pathfinding (don't even ask about this one. am i sick in the head? i hope)
Known Issues:
  • This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
Short Term Goals:
  • Replace all unoriginal assets, (sprites, sounds), with original ones. (No matter how poor)
Long Term Goals:
  • My first long term goal is to create a proof of concept showing how these systems can be brought together. This is a bit long, so I'll hide it in a spoiler.
  • [*]The Systems I intend to focus on are Weapon/Object Attributes, Enemy Attributes, Biomes and Weather. I will focus on the Slime enemy. Here's a quick run down of how I plan these systems to interact. The Slime enemy will have certain attributes altered based on it's temperature, which varies with biome/weather changes. When the slime is in neutral weather, it acts as normal, hopping towards the player in an attempt to damage them. If the Slime is large enough, being attacked by the player will split it into two smaller Slimes. If it's raining, or there is high humidity, the slime will slowly grow over time, as if absorbing the moisture. This makes them more dangerous during thunderstorms, or in swamps, perhaps, giving them the ability to multiply if you aren't careful. If the Slimes are in a dry or hot environment, they may evaporate, becoming smaller, and eventually very dense. At this point, blunt weapons, (as dictated by the Weapons Attribute system), will no longer harm the Slimes, but bounce them away upon impact, and must be pierced by a sharp weapon. In contrast, Slimes that have such low temperatures that they freeze can no longer be killed with a sword, they must be shattered with a blunt object. It is important to note, these are not variations of the Slime enemy, but in fact the same Slime object. They can be led to different areas of the game to change their attributes, which can be used to solve puzzles. As an example, consider the Frozen Slimes. They can be pushed around like big blocks, and used to weigh down pressure plates, assuming they're heavy enough. Small Slimes may be sufficient for small pressure plates, but if you need a heavier object, you can either push multiple Slimes onto the plate, or lead one to a hot spring to allow it to absorb the moisture, growing in size, before bringing it back to re-freeze it.

These features will all be present, though more may be added by then. This is my first milestone, so I plan to have a much higher quality showing by then. The idea is to be indistinguishable from a viable final product.
  • Once this first goal is reached, the second is to create a Patreon page. I don't want to start this page before showing the quality of work I can produce, (the proof of concept), unless I hear any demand for it.
Videos:

Controls:
Keyboard:
  • Arrow Keys for Movement
  • Z Locks the direction in which you're facing
  • X Sprint
  • C Attack
  • D Switches items between Sword and Hammer

XBOX Controller:
  • Left Stick for Movement
  • Right Stick for Camera Movement
  • Left Trigger Locks the direction in which you're facing
  • (A) Attacks
  • (X) Sprints
  • D-Pad Switches Weapons

Previous Versions:

Version History:
V A0.01

[new additions]
text boxes have been added, including signs that can be read
game prompts user with correct button to read sign, whether using a gamepad or keyboard
very early prototype of an armored enemy

[bug fixes]
camera no longer vibrates when coming to a rest
night-time filter should now completely cover screen
depth perception, playing drawing over objects he's behind is fixed

[improvements]
HUD updated lightly, improving pixel resolution and removing woodgrain design
second hand on clock no longer visible
stamina and life meters now match graphically
new hammer sprite, with overhead swinging in 4 directions
new swim sprites, in 4 directions. sprite changes to drowning when player's stamina is depleted
new frozen slime sprites
frozen slimes are now easier to push around
rock particle effects look much better

V A0.00 Initial Upload

Want to Help?
You can PM me directly, or talk to me in the i-want-to-help section of the Discord server below!

External Links:
Be among the first to join the new Discord!
https://discord.gg/2JyF3VZ

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty good start. The fighting feels pretty solid. I like the small touches like the leaves of the bush you cut floating away and slimes freezing.
A few things I've noticed while playing:
  • I think it was supposed to be night time but only 3/4 of my screen was covered in darkness the rest was normal (my resolution is 1920x1080 if that helps)
  • The camera occasionally shakes, this is especially noticeable when the game first started
  • The wood grain texture on top doesn't really match the aesthetic of the game
  • Having the clock on the bottom right count down seconds is distracting since the hand is moving so fast
Took some screens, I'll pm you the link since I can't post it.

For screenshots, in Windows, press print screen keyboard button while in game - switch to Paint, press Ctrl + V to paste and then save file. Then upload to imgur, copy direct link and post here with the image button.

N

nicktheslayer95

• I think it was supposed to be night time but only 3/4 of my screen was covered in darkness the rest was normal (my resolution is 1920x1080 if that helps)
  • The camera occasionally shakes, this is especially noticeable when the game first started
  • The wood grain texture on top doesn't really match the aesthetic of the game
  • Having the clock on the bottom right count down seconds is distracting since the hand is moving so fast
Thanks for the feedback! I'll check the night time filter, and see what I can do.

The camera shaking was introduced very recently, not sure what causes it, but I'm looking.

For screenshots, in Windows, press print screen keyboard button while in game - switch to Paint, press Ctrl + V to paste and then save file. Then upload to imgur, copy direct link and post here with the image button.
I'm not sure what it is, my home PC handles this fine. PrintScreen, screencapture, etc only produces blank images while GM is up.

RangerX

That sounds like a good start. I cannot try it right now as I am at work but still, I like how you seem to have a set goal and a clear idea of what you want to make this time.
Now keep on with this "organised" approach and make this baby happen someday. Stick to it! :)

I'm not sure what it is, my home PC handles this fine. PrintScreen, screencapture, etc only produces blank images while GM is up.
Strange... Not sure what to tell you, but it should typically work. But, Windows is a peculiar beast sometimes. I will try to find some time to take some screens later today or tomorrow and post.

Another recommendation, use something besides Media Fire for hosting your files. It always has very misleading ads that look like download buttons. I know better, but other users could get tricked into clicking wrong link. Personally, I have been using my Patreon account to host my downloads. Basically create a post in Patreon, upload a file to it - then I take that direct link to that file and post where ever I want people to download.

N

nicktheslayer95

That sounds like a good start. I cannot try it right now as I am at work but still, I like how you seem to have a set goal and a clear idea of what you want to make this time.
Now keep on with this "organised" approach and make this baby happen someday. Stick to it! :)
Oh man, I'm much more organised than before. Part of my previous project's hiatus is the fact that I want to come back to it with more experience, so I'm doing this instead!

Strange... Not sure what to tell you, but it should typically work. But, Windows is a peculiar beast sometimes. I will try to find some time to take some screens later today or tomorrow and post.

Another recommendation, use something besides Media Fire for hosting your files. It always has very misleading ads that look like download buttons. I know better, but other users could get tricked into clicking wrong link. Personally, I have been using my Patreon account to host my downloads. Basically create a post in Patreon, upload a file to it - then I take that direct link to that file and post where ever I want people to download.
Well, I have a couple screenshots now. When I'm home again, I'll be able to make my own from my PC, the issue seems to be specific to my laptop.

I do plan to create a Patreon here soon, and I will promptly switch to that for hosting all sorts of things. Before then, though I'd like to complete the First Pass of my game's engine, being my Long Term Goal as described in the OP

F

FROGANUS

Hey Nick! I remember Ikhör was a pretty outstanding project. Glad to see more work from you.
Lemme see if I can give this one a try soon..

edit- i tried it out for a quick bit- dig what you've got going on with the weather and biomes. the dynamic slime ideas sound really cool. maybe there could be items or power that eventually make it easier to attract/repel or even toss around the slimes?.. just an idea.

i've also been tinkering with tile collisions lately, and random generated top-down maps.. its been tricky.. lol.

keep it up- i'd like to see where this heads!

Geoff Jones

I had a quick play. The game feels quite nice. I like the camera feel. A couple of things I noticed though:
The player moves frustratingly slow in the diagonals.
The mismatch of different pixel resolutions is quite off putting.

N

nicktheslayer95

Hey Nick! I remember Ikhör was a pretty outstanding project. Glad to see more work from you.
Lemme see if I can give this one a try soon..

edit- i tried it out for a quick bit- dig what you've got going on with the weather and biomes. the dynamic slime ideas sound really cool. maybe there could be items or power that eventually make it easier to attract/repel or even toss around the slimes?.. just an idea.

i've also been tinkering with tile collisions lately, and random generated top-down maps.. its been tricky.. lol.

keep it up- i'd like to see where this heads!
I'm glad you remember me! I'll be keeping this up for a while!

I may attempt to insert the ability to pick up and toss objects, though there are a few other things I'd like to work on before doing so! This would include the frozen Slime enemies as well, of course. I might find a different way to handle the water, as well. We'll see about that.

I had a quick play. The game feels quite nice. I like the camera feel. A couple of things I noticed though:
The player moves frustratingly slow in the diagonals.
The mismatch of different pixel resolutions is quite off putting.
Thanks for giving it a look! I tested both Keyboard and Gamepad diagonal movement, and it doesn't seem to affect the speed at all. Seems to me that he moves the correct distance in all directions, could you elaborate?

The pixel resolution problem will be resolved as I move to more refined assets, at the moment it's the result of rapidly produced placeholders. :)

EDIT -
Also updated the OP with a second long-term goal, being a Patreon page, to be created after the demo is completed.

EDIT x2 -
All known issues in the OP have been resolved!

N

nicktheslayer95

New Version!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/t6dcvpyfxv54d8w/WildLike A0.01.zip

V A0.01

[new additions]
text boxes have been added, including signs that can be read
game prompts user with correct button to read sign, whether using a gamepad or keyboard
very early prototype of an armored enemy

[bug fixes]
camera no longer vibrates when coming to a rest
night-time filter should now completely cover screen
depth perception, playing drawing over objects he's behind is fixed

[improvements]
HUD updated lightly, improving pixel resolution and removing woodgrain design
second hand on clock no longer visible
stamina and life meters now match graphically
new hammer sprite, with overhead swinging in 4 directions
new swim sprites, in 4 directions. sprite changes to drowning when player's stamina is depleted
new frozen slime sprites
frozen slimes are now easier to push around
rock particle effects look much better

N

nicktheslayer95

It's been a bit over a month, but with both my job and finals, I haven't worked on this since the last update. Now that I've passed my classes, (barely!), and taken a bit of a break from thinking, I'm starting back up. While I continue work, I do want to ask here as well, are there any particular features or additions you guys would like to see sooner, rather than later? Especially things that might keep the demo's a bit more.. lively?

....Have you surpassed Breath of the Wild yet? :p

Just kidding. I played it, so I know where you're at, hahah. Not much to do you, so not much to say. Combat right now is slow and very basic. Player moves extremely slowly in diagonals for me too, using Switch Pro controller. Player sprite doesn't match the background tiles, though that feels like something you're probably planning on addressing. I like your snow tiles. =)

I had fun following IKHOR before, so I'll look forward to seeing where this game goes, too. Good luck! =D

Last edited:

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Man I just have to say that this thing you are doing makes me shiver because it could become a pseudo-real life sim, and if you ever think about upgrading this to a 3D engine with physics or etc, man, tell me as soon as you do! Because this idea is really cool (although also really tedious, but if you do it alone, you would be a living legend)

N

nicktheslayer95

Combat right now is slow and very basic. Player moves extremely slowly in diagonals for me too, using Switch Pro controller. Player sprite doesn't match the background tiles, though that feels like something you're probably planning on addressing.=D
The graphics will likely be everywhere for a while, since my focus is the engine, but hopefully I'll have something a bit better overall, soon!

Man I just have to say that this thing you are doing makes me shiver because it could become a pseudo-real life sim, and if you ever think about upgrading this to a 3D engine with physics or etc, man, tell me as soon as you do! Because this idea is really cool (although also really tedious, but if you do it alone, you would be a living legend)
It makes me shiver too, mostly because it's a terrifying project to undertake! As far as moving into 3D goes, part of the reason I'm making this is because there isn't quite a 2D equivalent of a Skyrim-type RPG in my eyes, so I want to see what I can do in these two dimensions. While I'm working on this alone at the moment, I better not finish it alone! I'll never get anything else done!

Love the idea of this; gave it a try and it looks interesting! Will the world be generated, or will be you handcrafting the entire thing, and then let the biome system take over?

N

nicktheslayer95

Love the idea of this; gave it a try and it looks interesting! Will the world be generated, or will be you handcrafting the entire thing, and then let the biome system take over?
That's a great question! This is definitely to be used in a hand-crafted game. While I'd like it to be versatile enough to allow randomly generated worlds to appear in the far future, the vision I have at this time includes puzzles crafted to use the different systems in interesting ways.

N

nicktheslayer95

The diagonal movement is still painfully slow. There must be something wrong with the movement code for diagonals.
I have no idea what it could be, I can't seem to replicate the issue. I have redone the movement for other reasons, so hopefully this is fixed.

And like I said....same for me on a Switch controller...

I'll test again when the next one is up, though.
Edit: routing the Switch controller through a 360 controller emulator though, so that could be why the result is the same.

N

nicktheslayer95

The controls SHOULD be fixed, but since I can't replicate the problem myself, I guess I have no way of knowing for sure. We'll see in the next update. Until then, check out this new hud! It all works, as well. No mock-up here!

N

nicktheslayer95

It's been a full month since the last update, and I hope everyone's new year has been going well!

As a quick update, there isn't much happening on the engine at the moment, unfortunately. I've been making some big life changes, including a move to a new house! I haven't had my PC for a couple weeks, but that will change this coming weekend, and development will return to normal throughout February.

N

nicktheslayer95

New update!

Here's a video showing off a couple new items, the Bombs, and the Bellows! In addition to this, you can find me on Twitter @taggartDev, and on YouTube. Twitter will have smaller updates, all YouTube videos will be
posted here as well.

N

nicktheslayer95

I haven't added the freezing mechanics quite yet to this version of the
Slimes, buuut these new ones are kinda cute! After this video, all vids will be 60fps. Didn't figure out how to use Gamebar for 60fps until I recorded this one.

This looks like a very interesting concept. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

Also, thanks for...even just mentioning the word "Gamebar." I had no idea it existed until I read third post above mine, but I'm certainly glad that I did, because Fraps just kinda decided a few weeks back that it didn't want to record my game at a stable framerate and I was afraid that was it for my preview videos.