• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Extension Wi-Fi Forced On

O

Opticrow

Isn't this a bit unethical? Does it ask the end user for permission first?

Yeah... If there was a game that forced me to keep my wifi on, I'd probably uninstall it.

For the "ADS revenue", if it's that important, just make it so your game saves to the internet or something so you can only play it with wifi on. That has the benefit as well that the game takes up less space on the device.

(I don't play games that don't work offline either, but that has more to do with the fact that I don't have cellular data, so I can only play offline games most of the time anyways).

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The premise behind this extension is wrong-headed on a lot of levels.

The assumption that keeping Wi-Fi on would enable a connection is just dead stupid. Airplane mode shuts this down. Forcing the Wi-Fi manager to forget all passwords shuts this down. Enabling tethering shuts this down. Being somewhere without a stable hotspot shuts this down.

You also forgot about power consumption issues. As someone who spends at least 3 hours commuting every workday, my mobile gaming is done mostly in a Wi-Fi dead zone. My phone won't last more than 45 minutes with a game running and the Wi-Fi radio scanning at full power for a hotspot.

But here's the big one: Forcing the Wi-Fi radio on is not the stated purpose of a game. If this behaviour is discovered during screening or gets flagged by users, a game with this extension on would be thrown out of app stores in no time flat. What ad revenue is there if it keeps bouncing back to the workshop?

You should have limited the extension to just connection status detection, but no, you decided to stick your fingers where they shouldn't be. Advertisement revenue has its place, but forcing the Wi-Fi radio on is an intrusive, battery-draining, ineffective and undeniably black-hat way to do it.

This will be good for Online or mostly for local multiplier games in which you have to create a Host.a Hotspot and others has to join. With this you can automatically get connected (as don't have to do wifi on and connect to Hotspot). so nice :) but about Ads naaaa.. Cuz It will such the battery and what if user don't have wifi connection? It will be useless.