Windows Why my game size is so big? (~90% of it is audio)

Edit:
The game consists of ~500 audio files in MP3 format. Their size are ~45 MB. The project size is ~75 MB. The main problem actually is that the game size is ~370 MB, I don't know it's because of the audio or something else.

Regarding reducing the size of the audio files:
I prefer to shrink them and make their file type OGG, but MP3 or any other format is fine, if it's going to reduce their size considerably.
I converted them to low-quality OGG files using a software called Format Factory (I'm wondering if there's a better way), not all of them shrank, actually some of them got bigger.
I tried the same thing, but this time their type was MP3. Most of them went down to half their size, and I don't hear much difference in the quality. But it would take me many hours adding them to GM, that's because the function audio_create_stream works only with OGG files.
I'm thinking of letting the user download them separately or be able to customize them, as they are taking most of the size of the game.
I don't know why the game size is so big (~345 MB) when the GMX project folder is only ~75 MB :confused:
I have never read about textures before. Maybe they play a role in the size of the game.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
How about just sorting the files by size and see which ones are the biggest?

In bash, just do
Code:
mkdir ../tempgamestuff
cp ./*/* ../tempgamestuff
Now you have a copy of all your project files in the folder "tempgamestuff", open that and sort by size by clicking on the size column.

D

Deleted member 13992

45MB for what sort of MP3 exactly? Is it a single song? Or a bunch of songs? Or ambient background noise? How long is the audio most importantly for a file that size?

You really don't want to transcode one compressed file format to another if you can avoid it. Encoder have a lot more trouble with compressed audio and you'll be left with more artifacts than is expected for the level of compression you'll choose. I would use the source wav/aiff's to encode to OGG.

Which audio editor do you use? A lot of them support OGG.

They are many small audio files, maximum 10 seconds long.
I converted them to low-quality OGG files using a software called Format Factory (I'm wondering if there's a better way), not all of them shrank, actually some of them got bigger.

I don't know why the game size is so big (~345 MB) when the GMX project folder is only ~75 MB :confused:

I

icuurd12b42

when you add a sound you have to specify the settings in the properties dialog

upload_2018-11-23_15-45-22.png

if you had a sound that you setup with very low quality using another tool, reducing the size, then added it to the project and did not match the target options, the sound resource will be compiled and converted upwards...

BTW, I'm pretty sure if the target options match the source sound (and the sound source is .ogg), the audio part of the compile will be faster because no conversion will happen.

Reactions: Yal

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
OGG audio with average quality (Q3, 44kHz, stereo) are like 1MB per minute. If you use higher quality, you might wanna ask yourself if you really need it. Also OGG better than MP3 for a variety of reasons including better compression, being a free format (so more programs support it) and not having noticeable compression artefacts at the beginning and end of a song.

Thanks for your responses so far! I will try some of your suggestions and see what happens.
I figured I'd change the thread and thread title to describe the actual problem.

Last edited: