• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Why is the website login timeout so short?

quattj

Just curious, why is the website (non-forums) login timeout is so short?

I have to log in nearly every single time I go to the site, and when you do, it does not take you back to the page you were on before logging in, so every time I have to go back in my history to reload the page I was on.

Every bug report I submit, I have to re-log in. Every time I need to go to the marketplace, I have to re-log in. I understand that it should auto-logout after a certain amount of time, but make it 24 hours or user-customizable. Please? :D

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I dont think the community can do anything about YoYo's decision but I recommend sending them a message about it

Karlstens

Yah, it's a real pain. Time-out, sure thing, but perhaps a week, or even a month? I visit more or less daily and re-entering my details is a pain.

codebunny

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I did review this, though I am still unsure why a longer timeout is needed. You should have an unlimited session as long as you interact with the site once per hour. It seems to be such an edge case that anyone would need to be logged in for much longer, as there isn't very much you can do on the site just now. Our expectations are you'll interact with the site for a half-hour or so to upload an asset or file a bug at the extreme end.

gnysek

Another issue with this is that sometimes, when you checks marketplace link from forum/discord/reddit, it redirects you to login page, and then instead of redirecting back, it shows main marketplace page...

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Another issue with this is that sometimes, when you checks marketplace link from forum/discord/reddit, it redirects you to login page, and then instead of redirecting back, it shows main marketplace page...
I can confirm this, it is a pain.

quattj

I did review this, though I am still unsure why a longer timeout is needed. You should have an unlimited session as long as you interact with the site once per hour. It seems to be such an edge case that anyone would need to be logged in for much longer, as there isn't very much you can do on the site just now. Our expectations are you'll interact with the site for a half-hour or so to upload an asset or file a bug at the extreme end.
It comes down to annoyance factor. For example, literally any time I need to submit a bug report, I click on the link in Game Maker, then get redirected to the website. then I instinctively go to the drop down list, then see that bug report is not there because I've been auto-logged out, then have to log in, then get re-directed to the dashboard, then have to manually go back to the bug report section, then do the bug report. Then I find another issue after programming for a bit (usually more than an hour), then need to submit another bug, then have to go through the whole process all over again. Sure it's doable, but it's annoying. Does it cause any additional server overhead to keep a session logged in for, say 24 hours instead of 1?

codebunny

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Does it cause any additional server overhead to keep a session logged in for, say 24 hours instead of 1?
We use stateless sessions; there is no additional load on the servers if your session is an hour or a month. I'll discuss the timeout with my team when we are next working on that system.

Slyddar

I'll discuss the timeout with my team when we are next working on that system.
Please please please yes. Both @quattj and @gnysek summed up the exact problems that make it frustrating to use. Sometimes during the day I'll go back to the website 3-4 times (bug reports, marketplace updates, marketplace browsing, etc. but not within an hour). Having to log back in, especially when the login does not redirect you back to the page your were attempting to go to, is just another frustration that seems to be avoidable. Anything you can do to alleviate that would be very much appreciated.

codebunny

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Having to log back in, especially when the login does not redirect you back to the page your were attempting to go to, is just another frustration that seems to be avoidable.
Redirecting you back to the correct URL is something we are frequently discussing in the web team. It is something that'll get simpler as we move more of the site over to newer code with fewer duplicated systems.