Why is the education licence so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appsurd

Hi all,

I've been talking to people that consider giving a series of lectures / classes about Game development. Unfortunately, they were hesitant to use GameMaker because the Education licences are too expensive for them (price is $30 per child per year). I really think Yoyo is making the wrong choice here, because all these young people are the clients of the future.
What do you think about this?

EvanSki

Raccoon Jam Host
$30 per child per year
seems pretty cheap to me, I mean for just a class room of kids?
That's a couple hundred, around the same price as a class fee for 1 student of a good school

Appsurd

Alright, maybe I wasn't too clear. So this is just for kids to have a few short lessons as an introduction to GameMaker. It's not part of their school, but just extra. And then it's a little expensive, especially in non-Western countries, don't you think?

Alright, maybe I wasn't too clear. So this is just for kids to have a few short lessons as an introduction to GameMaker. It's not part of their school, but just extra. And then it's a little expensive, especially in non-Western countries, don't you think?
Yes. You could try contact YYG https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us and ask them for a discount.

There are many countries where I wouldn't even *consider* GMS for the students. It's heavy, needs decent hardware, and expensive. It's also not a very transferable skill (both the scripting language is unique to GM, and not very transferrable to other life-skills). I'd consider using one of the growing number of free, open-source and light-weight javascript based game engines that are available;

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please note that speculation about YYG policies is against the forum rules... we wouldn't want this to become a breeding ground for conspiracy theories of why educational licenses are priced the way they are, so I'll be locking this topic.

Educational licenses are priced the way they are because that's what made sense from YYG's point of view. Why that is is something only YYG can answer, so you'd have to contact support for an official response. You might want to contact them anyway to ask them for a quote for the specific institution you brought up in the opening post to see if the price is negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.