• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Why is my character blurry?

• Thread starter SilentProtagonist
  • Start date
S

SilentProtagonist

Whenever I start my game my player character's pixels look distorted and ugly. Everything else on screen (platforms, collectables, background) looks just fine, even sprites the exact same size as my character. For some reason it's just him.

My window, camera and room are all 1280x720, and my character is actual comprised of two parts: the body (32x32) and the head (32x16).

Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 13992

is the blurriness apparent in a screenshot?

S

SilentProtagonist

Wow, I feel like such a dummy right now.

So I double checked and the body of my character is just fine. It's his head that's the problem. It rotates to follow the player's mouse, and it looks fine when the position of his head matches the original sprite, but in most other directions it looks distorted.

So, yeah, I think I see the problem now. I don't suppose there's anyway to fix that, is there? Or is it something I'm just gonna have to live with given the way I designed it?

rIKmAN

Wow, I feel like such a dummy right now.

So I double checked and the body of my character is just fine. It's his head that's the problem. It rotates to follow the player's mouse, and it looks fine when the position of his head matches the original sprite, but in most other directions it looks distorted.

So, yeah, I think I see the problem now. I don't suppose there's anyway to fix that, is there? Or is it something I'm just gonna have to live with given the way I designed it?
Try turning on "Interpolate between colours" in Game Options > Windows > Graphics, this will help smooth distortion when the sprite rotates, although might not be what you want if you are going for the crisp clean pixel art look.