Why I use GM8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJCoder

It's about that time .. people just don't get it .. I'm not the type of person to keep explaining myself, so I guess I better make this topic by now xD ..
(I don't care move it/lock it if you have to @Nocturne .. you seem to always be doing that to my posts ..)

So .. first reason incoming .. back in the day they release GM 8.1 .. GREAT ! however, there's one little feature that annoyed me, and since I haven't used GM 8.1 in a long time and I'm pretty sure I was a noob at the time you can still blame me, but basically, they made all scripts have mandatory arguments .. that really annoyed me, and it had I think one time when it stopped working for me (GM 8.1 itself) and that just made me close it down for good.

GM:HTML5 was coming around, that one really intrigued me .. was super into it .. but then it was cancelled, later to be replaced by GM:Studio .. great, but I didn't like it ..
and also from my tests it wasn't stable enough for my taste .

They added a bunch of stuff like exports and whatnot, and at this time I was getting into HTML5. now .. HTML5 is basically what I need, and it's what I'm into .. knowing by now how Studio is actually quite limited in HTML5, and the fact that there is a price point to Studio but HTML5 is free .. I kinda figured that's my strategic move that I need to make .. so .. I basically ditched GM altogether for HTML5 .. I also am pretty sure I learned C++ sometime here (in this time when I was ditching GM) ..

C++ didn't interest me, and about 3 years ago I started working on/researching programming languages, I've made probably over 10 versions of my language by now .. whether it converts into assembly .. GML .. JS ..

So, by now I have a few versions that work (yay!), and that combined with my access to HTML5 gives me basically all I need .. I also have that copy of GM8 that I keep close to myself since it's the last version that I use, which yoyo released ..

In order for me to "move on to studio" as people say all the time, there has to be enough reasons to do so .

First and foremost, the fact that you need an internet connection is a no go for me, my machines run basically 100 % offline, and all my code is deliberately kept under a special USB pen drive for security reasons and protection of my intellectual property ..

For me to open Game Maker, the version that I use, GM8, all I do is click it once, and wait 1-2 seconds .. no login .. no wait .. no slowness .. no internet ..

Now .. that's great, but let's move on to #2 .. THE MANUAL .

How slow is the new manual? and it keeps changing? and bugs are everywhere where you can't even see them/undocumented behaviour?
you people are used to dealing with GM's bugs .. but in my world, I basically know GM8 inside and out .. meaning basically 100 % of the time I know I did something in my code and it's not just GM trolling me ..

I mean I tried studio (trial) how many times .. and basically every. single. time. it took over 5 seconds to open the manual ..
to me this is totally unprofessional and nowhere near as effective as GM8's INSTANT manual.

Manual is a big hit for me especially if there were a lot of changes in the software .. (which of course there were ..)

#3, kinda already mentioned .. STABILITY ..

GM8 is so stable it's crazy, I know it has bugs, but I know all of the bugs in it (basically) by now .. that means I never have to worry about it ..

#4, NO CRAZY INSTALLATION/REINSTALLATION

You install it once. you're done. no need for 1,000,000 SDKs, 1,000,000 whatever the hell else you need to install just to run the damn thing .. yes, I am that type of person, that if I have to install x y z before actually installing anything .. I am OUT !

#5, light-weight-ed-ness

Sure, GM8 might have performance issues in the games you run with it .. but the IDE itself is crazy lightweight .. amazing if you ask me ..

Now people, I grew up with GM8 .. y'all just don't get the GM8 .. go .. use it for a few yrs and master it, then come back to me talking about studio .. but then at the same time the fact that I have my own lang into GM8 is the main reason I still use it .. GM8 GML is basically trash ..

Anyways .. of course it has problems .. of course it's not perfect .. of course Studio has things it doesn't ..
but to me what matters is that it works, it can make games, I know how to use it, and it really suits my current needs .. then again, when it does not I can simply switch over to HTML5 .. and HTML5 happens to be incredibly powerful when not limited by one of studio's exports (which for some reason tends to give very slow/broken apps)

I don't know what else to add, but yea, GM8 is GM8, and you can't stop the GM8 !! (if I think of more reasons I might add them here later ..)

NOTES:
* I don't use GM8's default audio system, I use Caster extension .. (yes, it works great on more modern PCs!)

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Nocturne only does its job here on the forum, if it closed some of its topics, it is because there was some relevant reason. I personally think he's the friendliest admin I've ever met. (I'm not saying this just because he is an admin and has power, but I'm talking as an individual person that he is).

they made all scripts have mandatory arguments
Even if you don't like it, I think that basically most or all programming languages require you to provide the argument, unless you find a way to skip that argument, perhaps using argument_count in GML.

GM:HTML5 was coming around, that one really intrigued me .. was super into it .. but then it was cancelled, later to be replaced by GM:Studio .. great, but I didn't like it ..
I don't think it was bad, Game Maker Studio 1.4 came at the time and was much more optimized (although it takes a while to save and load the project), with a lot more resources and besides, his workflow is excellent (power open multiple windows just like GM 8 too).
And they saw that it would be a waste of time to keep HTML 5 on GM 8.1, as they were about to launch a new Game Maker, and as there are compatibility issues, keeping HTML 5 running on an old version of the software would be a waste of time, which is why the Marketplace no longer allows you to upload GMS 1.4 projects (in addition to the fact that it is no longer possible to buy it legally).

In order for me to "move on to studio" as people say all the time, there has to be enough reason to do so .
What reasons do you consider sufficient? Isn't the amount of updates and new things he received enough? Just adding cameras and functions like clamp(), JSON, arrays (extra functions), point_in_rectangle(), shaders and many others already makes it much better. Besides, it is now possible to use functions globally, and that was an incredible leap for GML.

First and foremost, the fact that you need an internet connection is a no go for me, my machines run basically 100 % offline, and all my code is deliberately kept under a special USB pen drive for security reasons and protection of my intellectual property ..
You definitely don't need an internet connection once your license is verified, just log in once and don't log out when you leave, simple as that. I've used GMS offline many, many times.

For me to open Game Maker, the version that I use, GM8, all I do is click it once, and wait 1-2 seconds .. no login .. no wait .. no slowness .. no internet ..
I admit it is a good thing, but if you have an SSD, GMS 2 is literally faster than GM 8, I can prove it. And that speed doesn't pay off.

How slow is the new manual? and it keeps changing? and bugs are everywhere where you can't even see them/undocumented behaviour?
you people are used to dealing with GM's bugs .. but in my world, I basically know GM8 inside and out .. meaning basically 100 % of the time I know I did something in my code and it's not just GM trolling me ..

I mean I tried studio (trial) how many times .. and basically every. single. time. it took over 5 seconds to open the manual ..
to me this is totally unprofessional and nowhere near as effective as GM8's INSTANT manual.

Manual is a big hit for me especially if there were a lot of changes in the software .. (which of course there were ..)
Yes, in fact the manual takes a while to load, however, the offline manual loads much faster, almost the same as the GM 8, plus it is definitely more complete than the GM 8.

GM8 is so stable it's crazy, I know it has bugs, but I know all of the bugs in it (basically) by now .. that means I never have to worry about it ..
Any program is subject to bugs, but the YYG team is always working on it, and most bugs can be worked around, I've never been unable to do something on a project because of a bug, there's always a way to resolve it, if it's not within our reach, YYG solves for us.

* I don't use GM8's default audio system, I use Caster extension .. (yes, it works great on more modern PCs!)
I've used this, but I personally don't like using a DLL to do something basic which is playing an audio file.

Should I remind you that any game you make on Game Maker 8 can be easily decompiled? I already did several tests and it was really possible to do this with almost all old projects, because there was no YYC (There were extensions that actually obfuscated the code, but I was never able to get it to work), I managed to decompile my game, which was already huge at the time and I was scared!

In GM8 it is definitely more difficult to program interfaces and cut scenes, in GMS 2 it is possible to have it all easier.
A problem with GM 8 is that it starts to get slow, very slow if I write a script or any long code, for example 500 lines or even 1000 lines.

Although I still use GM 8 to do some simple tests and tests, I would never use it for production.
In addition to the fact that it produces poorly optimized games (and executables), and is not widely supported in current versions of Windows (10), there are some intabilities. I have been accused of viruses for running a game made on GM 8 sometimes.
There is also something good that I like about GMS 2 is that it’s easier to organize the code (indentation)

You don't have to be afraid to use the GM 8 after all, if you like it, keep using it, no one will stop you, that's your choice, don't worry about what people will think. Now wanting a legacy, old, deprecated, archaic program from the time of the dinosaurs to be remastered, for sure this is unnecessary and will never happen, in fact it has already happened, we have the incredible, magnificent and powerful Game Maker Studio 2 (obviously there are engines better and more complete, but anyone who loves GMS 2 knows that you can do almost anything in it).

Note: I'm just exposing my vision, it doesn't have to be yours, you don't need to follow, and I didn't mean to be rude, don't get me wrong. I wish you luck and success! Thanks.

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Question: Are there many people trying to steal your intellectual property straight off the physical machine?

Last edited:

SSJCoder

Even if you don't like it, I think that basically most or all programming languages require you to provide the argument, unless you find a way to skip that argument, perhaps using argument_count in GML.
JS exists.

What reasons do you consider sufficient? Isn't the amount of updates and new things he received enough? Just adding cameras and functions like clamp(), JSON, arrays (extra functions), point_in_rectangle() and many others already makes it much better. Besides, it is now possible to use functions globally, and that was an incredible leap for GML.
points of friction are cause for not doing so .. meaning .. if there is too much that prevents me (as the points I have listed) then obviously I will not "move on to studio"

clamp is easy to add anyone can add it in any project .. just make your own script ..
point_in_rectangle probably too .. not sure exactly what that one is ..

You definitely don't need an internet connection once your license is verified, just log in once and don't log out when you leave, simple as that. I've used GMS offline many, many times.
It asked for logins at the time, and there was a "30 day offline thing" .. which would be fine but I can use GM8 without this extra problem .. idk if they changed it by now I suppose ..

I admit it is a good thing, but if you have an SSD, GMS 2 is literally faster than GM 8, I can prove it. And that speed doesn't pay off.
Not everyone has SSDs lying around ..

Yes, in fact the manual takes a while to load, however, the offline manual loads much faster, almost the same as the GM 8, plus it is definitely more complete than the GM 8.
"more complete" without reasoning is not a point. if you're debating give proper reasoning/explanation ..

Any program is subject to bugs, but the YYG team is always working on it, and most bugs can be worked around, I've never been unable to do something on a project because of a bug, there's always a way to resolve it, if it's not within our reach, YYG solves for us.
I've used GM8, I've used Studio .. I can tell the difference ..
sure there might be a studio 1.xxxx or whatever which might be stable and I have not tried .. but I'm not gonna keep trying all these versions, I have better things to do, thanks though ..

Should I remind you that any game you make on Game Maker 8 can be easily decompiled? I already did several tests and it was really possible to do this with almost all old projects, because there was no YYC, I managed to decompile my game, which was already huge at the time and I was scared!
I know, but I have plans to get around this through my language ..

EvanSki

Raccoon Jam Host
Cool! download GMS 2 login in once, kill your internet TADA! The whole usb unlock thing seems like paranoia to me but hey you do you.

Cool beans! double click your gms2 project wait a few secs and code boi!

This is petty, the definition of petty. GMS 2's manual is now opened locally! its not apart of gms2! it takes about 3 seconds to open but I guess thats not good enough for you, as for the manual changing, gms 2 is always chaning with new features and bug fixes. Getting bugs happen and if you show me a game/app/project, all made with out a single bug ever, I will quit programming forever because not even god can program with no bugs ever.

#3, kinda already mentioned .. STABILITY ..

This I sort of agree with, sorta dont. yoyo are being very careless with there updates. But personally I've not had half the problems others have had and I use the stable channels, works fine for me.

#4, NO CRAZY INSTALLATION/REINSTALLATION

You install it once. you're done. no need for 1,000,000 SDKs, 1,000,000 whatever the hell else you need to install just to run the damn thing .. yes, I am that type of person, that if I have to install x y z before actually installing anything .. I am OUT !
Maybe this is more petty? This all depends on what you are going to do with the project you are making, Want to port to switch, of f**king course you need nintendo's SDK, Most people will never need to add more to game maker to use what they want to do.

#4, light-weight-ed-ness

Sure, GM8 might have performance issues in the games you run with it .. but the IDE itself is crazy lightweight .. amazing if you ask me ..
This is #5 but okay, I dont see your point here, I have GMS2 on a usb, and it runs as if it was on desktop and is 291 MB, I dont know what your looking for in "light weight" but that seems light to me.

I dont mean any of this as derogatory or as taking stabs at you, I mean it because I do not understand what you do and im slightly concerned.

GM8 is dead. lets get that out of the way, Yoyo is no supporting it, its already falling apart, and it will be totally useless in a few years.
You come onto this site talking about GM8, that's fine, but you act like its the gospel and your a messenger of god to spread the word of gode!
I can never tell if you're a troll or being serious. You prize GM8 as being the best thing ever and now as you quote
GM8 GML is basically trash ..
Then why use it and preach about it? You're so enthralled with GM8 to say its okay to pirate it because its amazing and yoyo set themselves up to pirate it by stopping support for it, and not only that, you turn around and and go on some spree of saying you'll "report" any one that says the word piracy. If your a troll your doing a hell of a better job then Cantavanda does.
You talk about not wanting people to steal your property and then use an outdated easy to hack ide to make your project.
you talk about pirating software is fine then report the use of the word pirate.
you talk about not liking using extensions in gms then use extensions.
Do you not see the confusing backwards nature of this?

You like GM8 great, but make sense dude, stop talking in circles about it, that's why Nocturne closes your posts, Nocturne is probably the best person I've met on the internet, He's not doing that out of spite for you.
No one here is out to get you or attack you for using GM8, but you sound like a lunatic talking about it the way that you do.

Im sorry if this seems like im attacking you or making fun of you, its not, I dont know how better to word my thoughts about it, I just dont get your logic or reasoning, you seem very backwards.

I wish you all the best on your project in GM8, And if you want to use GM8, you do you, I'm not saying not to or trying to give you reasons not to.

SSJCoder

@EvanSki fair, I suppose we have some differing opinions but should be fine ..

not answering the second part though .. you are clearly breaking the forum's rules ..

Samuel Venable

Time Killer
Studio is very broken. A lot of this I agree with. YoYo preferred more platforms and "I gotta have more platforms! I gotta have it NOW! Not when it's stable, when it is just buggy enough that it's broken but stable enough people will find workarounds and will still pay a large premium. As long as they pay for the platforms I'm adding quickly a large premium and paying me a lot for it and they stop complaining about platforms they want; the rest doesn't matter, f*** stability altogether.

But a lot of this is the community's fault for being so ungrateful and pressuring YoYo with their own collection of "I gotta have it, and I gott have it NOW!" whining. We want mobile! We want console we want switch! We want ARM! [Self plug] we want more ARM types and we want FreeBSD! Before you know it people will convince YoYo to make a TempleOS export. lel

Last edited:
I'll agree that it's nice to be able to immediately open GM8 (7 in my case), especially if you want to quickly test something small. I definitely miss that, as I now need a dedicated empty project running in another instance of the IDE which will take time to load from my HDD. Otherwise, with improvements in game performance, audio, and 3D, as well as the addition of shaders and the ability to port to consoles, I would never return to a pre-Studio era.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
clamp is easy to add anyone can add it in any project .. just make your own script ..
point_in_rectangle probably too .. not sure exactly what that one is ..
Yes, of course, but you need to do this for every new project you are going to create.
Besides that we know that most built in functions are better because they are made to work the way they should be (I'm not generalizing, the function of acquiring pixels is slow and we know that, it is possible to have alternatives).

I just installed GMS 2 on the SSD, but I put all my projects on a slave HD for security reasons, it only has 5900 RPM and it still manages to be faster than GM 8 when executing the project, because GMS 2 creates a cache folder that reuses modified files, GM 8 compiles everything from scratch. I'm sure that if you have a large project and will run on GM 8, it will take much longer than on GMS 2, I prove it because I have a project file of over 120 MB.

"more complete" without reasoning is not a point. if you're debating give proper reasoning/explanation ..
The point is that in the GMS 1.4 and GMS 2.0 Manual there are more detailed explanations of all the functions, in addition to there are functional examples of how to use them, through pieces of code, while in GM 8 there is only a brief description of what the function does.

Bearman_18

Ok, I've been lurking this whole discussion since the beginning. I wasn't going to get involved, but I thought I might as well share my take now that it's here and I don't have to worry about the god-forsaken character limit.

As far as I can tell, the only reason anyone cares about this is because SSJCoder overreacted to his post being moved from community to legacy. That's ok. Sh*t happens. And you're young, so I can forgive some misguided brashness. Lord knows I've said some stupid stuff here and in other places.

Looking at this from a largely disinterested (and, I think, healthier) perspective, I don't really care what version of GM you use, whether you start your own community, etc. That's all well within your rights and prerogative. Hell, I'll join the community if it seems good. And I've seen cool stuff made in legacy GM versions before, like that old sub-OS project. Personally, I think your project sounds pretty cool.

I don't even care if you "pirate" GM8. It's piracy on a legal level, yeah. But Yoyo, from what I can tell, doesn't make money on it anymore, so you wouldn't be harming their revenue, which is a big part of why piracy is a bad thing. If the company isn't going to lose anything, I'll put the preservation of old software and games over the law any day. But that's just me, everyone has different takes (and ROMs, so it's not like any of us are ones to talk anyway).

The only thing I'll say is that I would learn to get used to mandatory arguments, or learn to use argument arrays. I'm not saying this to be an elitist, it's just that the firm majority of languages require you to include all of the arguments, so it's a good habit to get into. Maybe one day you'll want to use something other than GML, JS, or HTML. That transition will be harder to make if you go out of your way to ingrain bad habits. I highly highly discourage anyone from using any of GML's weird-4ss "conveniences." For the love of God, use parentheses, use == for comparison, use semicolons, use decent indentation, etc. It's for the better if you get used to that sort of thing now.

That's all. Thanks for hearing me out. Do what you will, and may the consequences, good or bad, fall upon ye.

SSJCoder

Yes, of course, but you need to do this for every new project you are going to create.
Besides that we know that most built in functions are better because they are made to work the way they should be (I'm not generalizing, the function of acquiring pixels is slow and we know that, it is possible to have alternatives).
no because my language can include files outside of the current project .. so while yes, this limitation applies to vanilla GM8, I have my environment setup ..

I just installed GMS 2 on the SSD, but I put all my projects on a slave HD for security reasons, it only has 5900 RPM and it still manages to be faster than GM 8 when executing the project, because GMS 2 creates a cache folder that reuses modified files, GM 8 compiles everything from scratch. I'm sure that if you have a large project and will run on GM 8, it will take much longer than on GMS 2, I prove it because I have a project file of over 120 MB.
large projects of said scale are beyond the scope of GM8 .. definitely wouldn't recommend such projects on it . (I'd probably use HTML5 instead)

The point is that in the GMS 1.4 and GMS 2.0 Manual there are more detailed explanations of all the functions, in addition to there are functional examples of how to use them, through pieces of code, while in GM 8 there is only a brief description of what the function does.
alright

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
no because my language can include files outside of the current project .. so while yes, this limitation applies to vanilla GM8, I have my environment setup ..
I agree that the fact that the GM8 is not a sandbox made it possible to do many things, that was really cool. In addition to being able to modify the files in the executable folder.

large projects of said scale are beyond the scope of GM8 .. definitely wouldn't recommend such projects on it . (I'd probably use HTML5 instead)
I agree.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I mean .. not yet .. lol
As someone who's been doing this for a long time and now is a professional software developer I can tell you until you make something remotely popular people really don't care about your IP, or about most things you do incidentally: and the people who do care probably aren't going to head for your physical machine so the USB approach is a bit overkill. People who want to rip off your IP will just do it straight from the executable and marketing material you've released. The company I work for has a multi-line comment at the top of the HTML and minified Javascript files stating among other things "Stop being dicks, make your own game!". I'm not sure that this particular approach has changed anyone's mind, but the other methods we use to lock the games to our website have made it more hassle than it's worth (albeit we still see a few cases pop up every so often).

The rest of the discussionþ
Look, I don't fault you for preferring GM8. When I started I got to get used to GM7 of all things, missing GM6 by maybe six months, and it was the only option I would have for a good year or two. Granted, I was a kid, so any faults of GM7 were happily overlooked because I was busy making "games", but it was a rough engine none the less. I was quite happy when I got my hands on GM8 even if I had to learn a few new tricks.

Being the pennyless kid that I was it took me a while to get over to game maker studio because I disliked Studio's more obvious approach to the free version, and I've still haven't moved on to Studio 2 since I don't use Game Maker as much as I used to when in my teenage years. However once I started working at 16 and actually could buy the darned thing I never missed GM8 after that mainly because the differences weren't *that* big.

That being said it wasn't a perfect transition. I agree with you on many things. My already ancient laptop at the time had no proper wireless internet so I had to use an Ethernet cable or the offline login option, I too was happy being able to easily put the smaller, less fussy GM8 on a 4GB memory stick so I could develop games wherever I happened to be. While I'd not call GM8 better than Studio 1 I can very easily see some of the benefits of using it.

You seem to have a setup that works for you, and that's great. You do yo. However for the most part you are using the ancient, obsolete, unsupported version of a software that's seen a lot of improvements since 2012. You're probably going to be alone for a long time in using it when most people have moved on, and not everyone is going to be willing to patch up GM8's weaknesses by the customized extensions you're applying to circumvent them. GM8 is a good piece of software, but not many agree it's the best version of itself.

At this point, yes, it's barely an exaggeration to say everyone has at least one SSD lying around. SSDs are not prohibitively expensive anymore. A 256GB SSD—more than enough to fit GM and even a couple of games—can be had for well under $30. If you honestly cannot afford an SSD, you have other problems going on and shouldn't even be wasting time with Game Maker.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The one thing I think of first with this discussion, that GM8 is bad for, that newer versions handle much better, is version control(and by extension project file corruption prevention). When I speak of version control, I mean in general, not the internal stuff that people have said is quite buggy.

GM8 had the project as one massive file. If it got corrupt, it was done. Backups are good, but there is nothing but full backups, no differential or incremental ones, as it was just one big file.(OK, technically, you can still do other backup types with a single binary file but it isn't as easy or sane). And proper version control, with usage of branches etc... simply cannot be done well with that single file. Newer versions of this software made those problems go away. I can now do version control and have ZERO issues with it.

That said, considering you are 100% offline, my point applies less to you. It is possible to do repos locally as well though.

The gist of most points here, it feels to me like using that old a version of the software simply adds workarounds, hassle, and lack of modern convenience. You do whatever you feel like, just don't expect people to agree and we are good, just like we don't get to expect you to agree with us either :)

At this point, yes, it's barely an exaggeration to say everyone has at least one SSD lying around. SSDs are not prohibitively expensive anymore. A 256GB SSD—more than enough to fit GM and even a couple of games—can be had for well under $30. If you honestly cannot afford an SSD, you have other problems going on and shouldn't even be wasting time with Game Maker.
I almost 100% agree with this...but there are still(sadly) systems being sold with no SSD. The money may not be the bigger issue for some, rather the lack of knowledge that they aren't really having to invest much more to get a better drive. If a system like a laptop comes with a single drive and it doesn't have expansion room, it takes more than just buying a new drive to migrate over, and not everybody has the knowledge to do that(these are the same people who didn't have the knowledge to know to get an SSD in the first place). But yes, an SSD is quite essential and is something I've had for years now.

SSJCoder

my bigger problem is the fact that I use a HDD. and yes, I was going to buy an SSD, but just haven't gotten to it yet ..

You seem to have a setup that works for you, and that's great. You do yo. However for the most part you are using the ancient, obsolete, unsupported version of a software that's seen a lot of improvements since 2012. You're probably going to be alone for a long time in using it when most people have moved on, and not everyone is going to be willing to patch up GM8's weaknesses by the customized extensions you're applying to circumvent them. GM8 is a good piece of software, but not many agree it's the best version of itself.
sure, fair point

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I started using Gamemaker Studio just before Version 2.3 Beta came out, and I came from over a decade of making Flash Games with Actionscript 3. I know the true power of Sequences, inline functions, and structs. The Gamemaker Studio toolset is improved presumably to make your gamemaking experience easier, and take less time. If you want to paint with a smaller pallette, paint with a smaller pallette. Just be careful not to paint yourself into a box.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, look, I'm going to close this... Please don't get mad, it's REALLY NOTHING PERSONAL, it's just not an appropriate topic for the Community forum, or really for anywhere on this forum. I mean this is for issues that affect the GM community as a whole, yet this thread is pretty much a "PROVE ME WRONG" thread and a rant about a very specific personal opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact you're so happy with GM8, as it was a great piece of software for it's time (although personally I think 8.1 was better), and I don't think that anyone on this forum is going to argue that GMS 2 (and Studio before it) hasn't got issues.

However... no amount of discussion of GM8's merits and GMS2's pitfalls is going to change any of the facts. GM8 is obsolete software and GMS2 is current, and we (the forum) have an obligation to focus on the current, legal, valid, and supported version(s) of GameMaker. Someone in this thread said "you do you", and I 100% agree with that sentiment. You keep using GM8 if you're happy with it! It's like people who use VIM instead of VSCode... If they're happy then great, but don't ask me to agree! To each their own...

So, noone is telling you not to use GM8, but it's NOT a hot issue with 99.9999999% of the rest of the forum, especially as most people don't have access to the software in question anyway... and as such this topic has little merit other than to make you feel better now you've got this rant out of your system (and I hope you DO feel better, honestly).

Status
Not open for further replies.