Why don’t Japan release certain games outside of their country?

Japan didn’t release Digimon Story: Evolution, Draglade 2, Super Bonk 2, Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2 Remakes for GBA, and for the Nintendo 3DS, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3, Luminous Arc 3, Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 3, Soma Bringer, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest I-III Remakes for the Nintendo 3DS, etc.
It seems that Japan doesn’t like to release video game sequels, and certain games outside of Japan.

EvanSki

Raccoon Jam Host
licensing, localization, international agreement on the price of gold and what each others currency is worth and there for what the game should be priced at over seas

TL;DC

Like it or not, 99% of games exist first and foremost to make money. Any enjoyment from them is entirely secondary. If a game is predicted to not make much money—from the previous game in the series selling very few copies, from reviewing poorly in Japan, from being released years after the next generation console, or whatever reason management comes up with—it won't get released.

It doesn't mean the games are bad or that Japan wants to horde all the good games to themselves. It's just an unfortunate consequence of money making the world go 'round. The same system that can encourage developers to create the best games possible also encourages publishers to drop poor performers like a hot potato.

...slightly off-topic, there were never any remakes of Dragon Quest Monsters for GBA. You may be thinking of Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, which has a fan translation available. Or, you might be thinking of the 3DS remakes of DQM1/2, of which the first has had a fan translation for a while and the 2nd just released. Or the PS1 remake, DQM1+2 which... is notorious for having so many dropped fan translation projects.

FrostyCat

It seems that Japan doesn’t like to release video game sequels, and certain games outside of Japan.
It seems that you don't have any clue how much effort goes into localizing a Japanese game for foreign audiences.

Hint: It's WAY more complicated than just putting the text through Google Translate.

Edit: I have reworded the statement to point specifically at the original poster, which was my intended target. Sorry.

Last edited:

Samuel Venable

Time Killer
It seems that most non-Asians outside of Japan have no clue how much effort goes into localizing a Japanese game for foreign audiences.

Hint: It's WAY more complicated than just putting the text through Google Translate.
I got banned from a discord for making a generalization like this and was accused of being racist. I just want to warn you, people get butthurt for dumb reasons and will inflict their strange idea of pain on you.

<runs away>

Posh Indie

That Guy
Edit: I have reworded the statement to point specifically at the original poster, which was my intended target. Sorry.
The fact that you had to do that exposes how sensitive our world has become... No apology needed for me (Even for the original text) as I was not offended by it, nor do I think it warrants any offense...

In any case, it should have been fine considering the final statement of the original post implies that the entirety of Japan is intentionally withholding games from the rest of the world (Which, when I picture it in my head, is hilarious no matter who is being assumed to do such a thing. Imagine a room full of Game Development Suits discussing how they will not release their games to the rest of the world... just "because".)

Monster Hunter went on a Western World hiatus for a bit (Unfortunately), but not because they did not want us to enjoy it. We did not vote well enough with our wallets over here to make it seem like a worthwhile investment. Interest is a huge driving factor, and if the interest does not seem to be there, why go through all the trouble of localization?

Last edited: