1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Why Does this not work?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Alexthom, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Alexthom

Alexthom Member

I just want to have a program where it simply starts at a title, then lets the player look down to the options, and look back up.There's two rooms.
    Here's the programming:

if(keyboard_check_pressed(vk_down)){
    room_goto_next()
    }
    if(keyboard_check_pressed(vk_up)){
    room_goto_previous()
    }

When I run it, I can go down, but then not back up.

And yes, I am aware that there will be an error when pressing up on the first room. I know how to fix that already.

2. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

Does this instance exist in the second room?

3. Alexthom

Alexthom Member

So I’m a beginner so don’t judge me if this is kinda a newbie thing to say-how do you program a separate room?

4. samspade

samspade Member

You don't really program a room, so much as add it (which it seems like you've already figured out).

The important things to know is that when you switch rooms, through whatever method, all non persistent objects are destroyed. So, if the object with that code is in the first room, but is not persistent, then when you switch to the second room, it is destroyed. There are two solutions to this. First, make the object persistent. You do this in the object window that opens up when double clicking an object in the resource window. Second, add it to the second room as well.

There isn't a right answer as to which one to use. Which one you choose (new object or single persistent object) is up to you and somewhat dependent on code. If that is all the code there is, either method would work fine.

5. Alexthom

Alexthom Member

Thanks!