GameMaker Why does one keypress persist through multiple if statement layers?

P

Paymon005

To exemplify, I have written the code below with an object and placed it within a room.

Create:
state = 0;

Step:
if (state == 0){
if(keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter)){
state = 1;
if(state == 1){
if(keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter)){
state = 2;
}
}
}
}

Draw:
if(state == 2){
draw_text(room_width/2,room_height/2,"HELLO WORLD")
}

You should have to press ENTER twice in order for hello world to appear on screen, however one press changes state to 2. If i place a breakpoint within the first if layer and debug, this does not occur. Thanks for any help.

Slyddar

keyboard_check_pressed will last through 1 whole step. Otherwise you could have multiple objects with keyboard_check_pressed calls that would fail if it only worked on the first one.

P

Paymon005

keyboard_check_pressed will last through 1 whole step. Otherwise you could have multiple objects with keyboard_check_pressed calls that would fail if it only worked on the first one.
I see, that makes perfect sense. Is there a way to force the code to complete the step or maybe a just a better way to perform what I am trying to do?

CloseRange

I see, that makes perfect sense. Is there a way to force the code to complete the step or maybe a just a better way to perform what I am trying to do?
when there is a will there is a way.
Code:
switch(state) {
     case 0:
          state = 1;
          break;
     case 1:
          state = 2;
          break;
}
that should work like you want.

break; is used to end a for statement, while statement, switch statement, and with statement early.

you could also use else if statments if you wanted:

Code:
if(state == 0) {
     state = 1;
} else if(state == 1) {
     state = 2;
} else if(state == 2) {
    // ...
}

R

Robzoid

You used separate if statements (if, if, if) rather than (if, else if, else if). Each "if" will be evaluated.

NightFrost

Also note that you can use io_clear() to clean the state of all keyboard and mouse buttons for the check commands. You'd usually need this when you need to prevent a keypress bubbling up through checks in multiple objects, or when you have several mouse-clickables on top of each other and want only one of them to process a click.

P

Paymon005

Thank you all very much for the responses. I decided that switch statements are the best way to format the structure of my code. I’m am not unfamiliar with coding, but I am still trying to understand how GM compiles and executes the code. The fact that one key press persists through a step event was not intuitive to me at all.