• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Why does GMS2 keep making an execute.sh for Linux?

G

GhostlyImprints

I recall there should just be an executable file named runner but instead recently GMS2 has been creating an execute.sh file when I'm testing/press the play button.

What's the difference and why is it doing this in particular vs the runner when I'm testing?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

execute.sh is a shell script, not an actual executable. If you don't see an executable in the same directory than it must be launching from elsewhere. I am not using the latest update so I wouldn't know whether they made changes like this as quickly as other users might notice.

If you want to build the game simply export it for Ubuntu with the build/create executable button instead of the run or debug buttons. You wont be able to distribute that shell script in place of an actual executable.

G

GhostlyImprints

execute.sh is a shell script, not an actual executable. If you don't see an executable in the same directory than it must be launching from elsewhere. I am not using the latest update so I wouldn't know whether they made changes like this as quickly as other users might notice.

If you want to build the game simply export it for Ubuntu with the build/create executable button instead of the run or debug buttons. You wont be able to distribute that shell script in place of an actual executable.
Let me try to explain further.

Usually when I press the play button and it sends the data over to my Linux machine, there's usually just a "runner" file. I'm not sure why it's all of a sudden creating this execute.sh file. What happened to the runner file?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I already understood the first time, and I already explained that, the shell script must be running it from a new location, I'm guessing some sort of temp directory. If you really want to know what the shell script is doing, open it in a text editor...

I'm not going to reiterate myself. Use the build button if you want the executable. It's apparent YoYo changed how this works.

G

GhostlyImprints

I already understood the first time, and I already explained that, the shell script must be running it from a new location, I'm guessing some sort of temp directory. If you really want to know what the shell script is doing, open it in a text editor...

I'm not going to reiterate myself. Use the build button if you want the executable. It's apparent YoYo changed how this works.
I'm not asking what the shell script is doing. I'm asking why it's creating it this way vs the way it usually did it via the runner file and assets folder.

I'm asking why it's doing this because I haven't updated GMS2, nor was I ever exporting the exe, simply running it via the IDE. This occurred within the span of a few hours.

I'm just wondering why all of a sudden it's creating an "execute.sh" file despite the fact I did nothing to change my environment/IDE and it wasn't doing this previous. I'm unable to replicate it creating the runner separately.

I was simply looking for an explanation for why it's sending the executable in two different manners and what conditions might cause it.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Well, considering you haven't updated anything, that's really odd. I've never had this happen myself. Perhaps adding a ticket to http://help.yoyogames.com and they could answer your question better than anyone here could.