• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Why does an empty GMS project load the GPU by 8-13%?

A

artenius

Hi.
I have a question about the performance of GMS projects. Why does even an empty project (which ONLY have a room and a camera) load the GPU by 8-13%?
My graphics card is very weak, but it seems strange to me that an empty project loads the GPU at all. I assumed the GPU is loading because of debugging and / or using the VM. However, it is not. I compiled the project using YYC and closed GMS. The result is the same.
Question: what is it that loads the graphics card? Maybe I am doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.

Additional Information:
OS - Windows 10 LTSC
GMS version - 2.3.0.529 (Runtime 2.3.0.401)
Graphics card - AMD R7 250

P.s. I apologize if I made mistakes in the text.

curato

If you aren't using any of the new data structures, try turning off the garbage collection and see if that helps. Even a blank project is sending data every frame to the video card and if you have an older card you are going to take a hit.

Ricardo

There is definitely something off with 2.3.0.529 performance since several users has pointed out similar behavior. YoYo is aware of the problem as far as I know (they must've received a good number of tickets by now).
Even so, submit a bug with your project and your machine data. The more info they have the better.