• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Why do some certain mobile features not come as built in GMS2?

sercan

Hi,
I am using GMS2 only for creating mobile games. I have android and IOS export, no any other.

You know, almost all of mobile games, has basic icons as share, iap, leaderboards, achievements, etc. Looking at the purposes, many of them works in a same way I mean you tap share and a screenshot comes up with a message in the text box saying like " this game is great try it now in store!! " and store link goes on. great way to share the game with whatsapp of something like that.

There are extensions for the functions above. Yet, wouldn't be better if Yoyo team presents their own extensions doing the tasks at least for commonly used basic functions ? Isn' that possible?

the reason i came and post this is, I am not that good at detailed programming stuff, so i don't know how to code share function in a way i mentioned. and ı can't find the extension which does. So I am just thinking why the software ı use does not provide a simple solution for such a simple need, i mean for mobile environment.

If there is already such thing, sorry i never seen, then please let me know where to look for.

Thanks,
Sercan

Roldy

You can always make a feature suggestion: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

First I would say nothing you listed is a 'mobile' feature. Apps on every platform have similar features.

Second:

Looking at the purposes, many of them works in a same way
Those features may have similar purposes but what you are overlooking is that the do not work the same way, depending on specific platform, social network, game etc...

But you can always make the suggestion.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Things were built in originally, but it was a nightmare to maintain due to the fact that the stores are constantly changing their APIs and there is no "one size fits all" solution. Having this functionality as an extension means it can be updated as and when required without waiting for a full IDE or Runtime update, and also means that the IDE isn't clogged up with millions of functions specific to the different stores.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
It's possible, but not feasible. YoYo simply doesn't have time to support them all and still keep the rest of the engine up. And as much as you think they're all the same inside, they're not. Every one of them requires individual attention, work differently, and in many cases make frequent backward-incompatible changes to their APIs and policies.

If you want things like ads, analytics and scoreboards built into GMS 2, that only means you have not witnessed the mess that was GMS 1.1 when that was actually the case. There were constant update releases (almost once every 1-2 weeks) just because one of many vendors decided to change the API, update the policies or close up shop. Mingling that with other attempts at fixing engine-level bugs meant the engine as a whole was never stable. That was why from GMS 1.3 on, these kinds of third-party functionality were all moved off into extensions on the Marketplace. I don't have a very good opinion of how YoYo maintains the extensions, but at least it beats the constant version shuffling of yore.

Toque

It sounds good but in reality things will always be broken. You will be waiting for updates that will be months in coming.

What if they add features but not the add company you want or analytics you want?

hey I hear you. I would love mobile to get some love but I don’t see very much interest in mobile in the forum.

sercan

Things were built in originally, but it was a nightmare to maintain due to the fact that the stores are constantly changing their APIs and there is no "one size fits all" solution. Having this functionality as an extension means it can be updated as and when required without waiting for a full IDE or Runtime update, and also means that the IDE isn't clogged up with millions of functions specific to the different stores.
ok i see the reason now. thanks.