Why Do People Love GameMaker So Much?

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by OliverSB, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Misty

Misty Member

I love Game Maker because it does exactly what you code. There is no middle man between the code and you. If the code doesn't work only you are to blame. Only you are the limit to how good your games can be.

Kezarus and RichHopefulComposer like this.
  2. bunny

bunny Member

I guess my take on this might not be taken as serious since I'm entirely new to the medium but I'll throw it in anyways.

I think the accessibility of it is huge. It's beginner friendly in that it doesn't require programming experience to make something. At the same time, GML gives more experienced developers the tools needed to take things even farther. It has a sizable community that beginners and more experienced individuals can turn to when they hit a wall. It's extremely affordable. When you look at professional grade tools of the trade in other industries, they either have large price tags or monthly subscription fees (DAWs for music production, Adobe software for visual arts). That trifecta is a really good one to get people to come and keep people around.

tsm likes this.
  3. Rattlejaw

Rattlejaw Member

Perhaps you're in the minority though. You sound like you're very knowledgeable on things like C++ and more complex coding languages. I think it's a safe bet the most who use GM aren't. They, as well as myself, view it as a powerful tool that can help their game ideas come to fruition, without having to be coding experts. I mean, I understand that you like the GM engine, but you sound like someone who could actually code their own engine.

4. dadio

dadio Potato Overlord Forum Staff Moderator

It's the easiest thing *for non-programmers* to pick up and make good use of to bring their ideas to life.
    I feel that about sums it up for most.
    There are a few game creation apps that are even easier - but they are far more restrictive/ much less flexible/ powerful.

It's easy to sit back and criticise... lets say gaps and oddities in GML as an experienced coder familiar with other languages...
    but in doing so you're really missing the point.

The original vision for GM (Overmars era) was to make game creation possible for non-coders and to introduce them to basic coding concepts.
    Early YoYo era broadened that vision a lot and gave a lot of creative / non-coder types the chance to become indie superstars.
    Supporting them directly, promoting them at events, adding more exports and powerful features etc.
    (Imo, this was GMs "Golden Era".)
    Now, I feel, with the march of time (into the current PlayTech era) that original vision has been somewhat diluted (GMS2 in particular seems more targeted at coders, educational settings and professionals - and in doing so has actually taken a few steps back in terms of intuitivity/ creative type appeal)...
    *but* it's *still* to this day the easiest, most flexible and fastest way to go from "idea" to "playable game".

It's a fantastic tool for rapid prototyping.
    That's maybe it's greatest strength.
    And the ability to (easily) export to just about every relevant platform is really nice.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Misty

Misty Member

I have a relatively large monitor but even I don't have a big enough screen. I think you need 3 monitors or IMAX to use Gm studio 2 as it was intended. The amount of the population with screens that big is very few. I think Playtech's business model was to focus on getting rich people to buy Game Maker. But I think they'd make more money if more poor people bought GM. However, there is an important problem. If a large volume of people buy Game Maker, that means more competition for indie devs and more spam and low quality games. Thus there is a crisis, I call it the game maker paradox.

dadio likes this.
  6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I agree with @dadio's point about rapid prototyping being a huge strength for GMS, and with the GML improvements coming in Q4 hopefully it will become a lot easier to develop and maintain larger projects using it too.

I also think the pricing is one of it's strengths, and although I might be in the minority here I think a licence that starts at just $39 is exceptional value for what the software offers, and that scales upwards to the various platforms as you get more experienced and serious about making money from your games to recoup the cost. Also no royalties.

It's not about the size of your screen it's about the resolution and screen real estate, it's no good having a 32" screen if it's max resolution is 1280x1024.

To your point - the IDE does feel much nicer on a 4K screen there's no doubt about that, but I feel like that's the same with any application really. I actually size my GMS2 window to around the size of a 1440p screen and have no issues when using it with other stuff open around it on a 4K screen.

I just wish it would remember it's size and position like other apps instead of opening full screen and having to resize and reposition it every time I open it, but I filed that and it's going being added at some point.

I didn't personally have many issues when using it on a 1080p screen either but I didn't use 1.4 for long and so don't miss anything about it, but I understand other users got so used to it that GMS2 feels wrong to them.

I'd guess most of the people struggling with the IDE are using laptops where a common resolution is 1366x768, so I could see that being a problem - but I think that'd be a struggle for anything other than basic web browsing and general use too.

Have you tried GMEdit to see if that might feel a bit better for you?
    YYG - targettng "rich people" with their $39 Creator Licences since 2017! :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Nocturne likes this.
  7. Kirbyrocket

Kirbyrocket Member

Honestly, there wasn't really anything that got me into it except the fact that I found out almost all my favorite games were made in GameMaker and all my least favorite games were made in alternative engines. At that point, I just assumed as a child that GameMaker was just the objectively superior option.

8. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

To be completely honest, up until a certain point, GameMaker was objectively the superior option in nearly all respects. That's why I picked up GM in the first place. The other engines were - by design - very restrictive in the types of games you could realistically make.

9. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

This is a topic about what you LOVE about GameMaker, and yet certain people seem determined to steer it in a more negative direction... we have enough of that elsewhere on the forums, so I'd appreciate it if we could keep just this one topic positive and uplifting, and so I've tidied the topic (again, that's twice now). Please, lets make this a positive discourse about what GameMaker has given you, and in turn you'll all give me a happy place to come to when everywhere else is going to hell. :)

PS: And on topic... I love GameMaker because it got me back into programming without the need for text books or going back to school, and in doing so opened doors for me that I never even knew existed. I remembered making games with BASIC on the Spectrum when I was a kid, and plugged "Making Games" into Google over 10 years ago and up popped "GameMaker". So I got it and was blown away by just how simple it was to get really small and fun stuff happening. In the space of a couple of years I'd made 3/4 games and then joined the GMC, where I met some amazing people (Xot, FredFredrickson, Sinaz, Icuurd, GearGod... ah, nostalgia!) and where I was eventually made a moderator and where YYG saw how active and enthusiastic I was and offered me a job. Then here I am today, still here on the forums (admin now), still working with YYG and still loving every second of using GameMaker.

10. Luigi1000

Luigi1000 Member

Probably that because it is relatively simple to make what you want and also learn how to use. My self already having both self taught and formal education in multiple programming languages helped hit the ground running and even join another project to help grow it.

11. Bitl

Bitl Member

I love the ease of use when it comes to level design and object creation. I also like that you can use DnD and GML at the same time in a game, or settle on one only.

SilentxxBunny likes this.
  12. JJohnson

JJohnson Member

It's a good beginner's program I think

13. R69NIX

R69NIX Member

The HUGE community.

The HUGE amount of documentation, books, tutorials, video guides etc. etc.

The HUGE and impressive and inspiring catalogue of games that were made with GameMaker.

That’s my take from a perspective of what attracts new non programmers who want to learn and choose GM to try and created their first game.

14. Azure Knight

Azure Knight Member

I personally enjoy using game maker simply because it allows me to make almost any 2D game Id like to make. Platformer, RPG, and Top Downs are typically my favorite. . . and the games I make are normally like tech demos or me fooling around. I don't actually make many full games in game maker mainly because it's easy to get lost in it. Maybe next time I'll have a full plan to using game maker to its fullest!

15. RefresherTowel

RefresherTowel Member

The ephemeral dream ;)

16. tsm

tsm Member

I like Game Maker because I don't actually know how to program. I like designing games, but the actual task of coding them is honestly very tedious to me. GML is the only language I've ever tried to learn that allows me to be half-assed about how I approach my coding.

I'm not saying it's a good reason to like Game Maker, but at least it's truthful. ;)

Edit: Should add that I've been using it on and off since I was 10 years old (17 years ago, yikes), so it'd be honestly a little weird to try using anything else at this point.

17. rongcongame

rongcongame Member

simple and effective. GML is the most easier language code in the world.

18. Desert Dog

Desert Dog Member

Nostalgia.

19. Khao

Khao Member

I've been using Game Maker since GM6, so the biggest deal for me is how much I know about this thing and how it works. At this point, it feels as if I can very easily create anything I can imagine in a relatively short amount of time. If I understand how it works on an abstract level, I can make it happen. Game Maker is the only software I can use to this level, and I'd say that reaching that level is far easier than in countless other engines out there. And hey, while there are limitations, in most cases they're irrelevant for the kind of games I'm interested in making.

If I ever feel the need to create a 3D game, though, I'll throw GM out of the window before even trying. I know there's 3D functionality (I've even used it for kicks and giggles a few times), but it's not worth the effort imo. For nearly everything 2D, though, Game Maker is simply the most effective engine out there. It just takes little effort to do exactly what you want, and everything in the program is perfectly set up for you to just start making **** as soon as possible. If you have a simple idea, you can prototype it in mere minutes.

IndianaBones and SilentxxBunny like this.
  20. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

I love GameMaker because I was able to successfully design my first computer game in the fourth grade (something that I'd always been told would take a college degree, a large team, and millions of dollars to do.) I've been in love ever since. :D

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  21. LesbianJellyfish

LesbianJellyfish Member

To me, it's because of the knowledge of working with the same engine as my favourite indie games like Nidhog, Katana Zero, freaking Undertale (my fav game ever!) but it's mostly because I don't want to be a coder I just wanna make games and spew them out and see what the public likes. Which idea that I have can make other people happy, and then I put it in the game. Plus most game maker games I've seen are either gorgeous and visually beautiful or have an interesting story. I love games that have artistic value and Gamemaker along with RPG maker can make a creator just create without a second thought. All you have to do is learn key commands and chains and it's smooth sailing especially if you know how to manage your own time.