• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Why do i only see UWP?

DTheChemist

i wanted to buy the windows + Xbox one creators package so i got that but it seems doing that has been throwing me off my progress understanding what im looking at now.

when i try to follow Video tutorials to begin i see every video with a resources bar for sprite importing but i keep being shown the assets browser. why is that? I know they have Windows in the upper bar while i only can have shown the UWP. again i know i purchased that bundle but i thought i could change that by using the preferences before i begin. is that an issue? is what i have an updated version? im confused

Attachments

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Assuming you do own the actual Desktop license(the creator's one should do it, the UWP along would not), you should be able to click on the little reticle cursor thing on the right of the words "default" which will open up where you choose the platform.

DTheChemist

So help me understand better. you pretty much saying i have to purchase 2 things? I thought i only had to just buy the UWP? Thats what i thought the different choices were when initially saw it. I thought the UWP was for pc that includes the Xbox creators package thats 199. i purchased that. so i have to Buy the desktop one too??

Attachments

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
So help me understand better. you pretty much saying i have to purchase 2 things? I thought i only had to just buy the UWP? Thats what i thought the different choices were when initially saw it. I thought the UWP was for pc that includes the Xbox creators package thats 199. i purchased that. so i have to Buy the desktop one too??
As the picture you are showing there shows, they are two separate products. You drew in the two red arrows showing such. I'm not sure what the confusion is honestly. UWP(Universal Windows Platform) is not the same thing as traditional desktop licenses, which is why there is a separate product for it, which also happens to be more expensive.

If this purchase is extremely recent, you might be able to talk to support and get them to make a change, but I don't know how lucky you would be with that.

DTheChemist

Honestly i didnt know that. im fresh this. usually i deal with free engines. My confusion came from me assuming the UWP was a desktop package too that includes the Xbox creators program also. The desktop i thought if you buy that alone you cant publish your games on xbox. thats why i purchased the UWP thinking it was a combo. With just the desktop one could i still publish games on xboxone? from what im reading it at the time it didnt look like thats what i wanted

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Honestly i didnt know that. im fresh this. usually i deal with free engines. My confusion came from me assuming the UWP was a desktop package that includes the Xbox creators program also. The desktop i thought if you buy that alone you cant publish your games on xbox. thats why i purchased the UWP think it was a combo. With just the desktop one could i still publish games on xboxone? from what im reading it doesnt look like thats what i wanted
I'm not overly familiar with UWP. But I understand it is basically a platform that is specific to modern Windows AND XBOX One. With the Windows part though, it is only Windows 10, and the apps are more integrated into Windows 10 instead of working exactly like native apps(I don't know all the details honestly). It seems that WIndows 10 Mobile was also a thing, and UWP would support that. Then the XBOX side is basically like their digital store instead of native disk-based games. The actual full console development thing is much more expensive, and would have to go through quality control, etc... while the UWP side does not.

So yes, you should still be able to develop for Windows 10, but I'm not familiar with the process since you are doing it as a UWP app instead of a native one like you would get with the Desktop license. If you bought the Desktop license instead, you would have more familiar compatibility, but you would indeed lose the XBOX stuff. You might be better of trying to see if support will allow you to change your license or something since you seem unfamiliar with the whole thing, and paying more for a console export you know nothing about is not a good thing. I'm just not sure what the policy would be for such a request as I've never ran across a need.

DTheChemist

Ah ok. thanks for trying to help me understand that part. I appreciate it. ill try to contact support and ask them some questions for more clarification

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
As has been mentioned, the UWP export is only for exporting UWP packages. These packages are only valid for the MS store and Windows devices, which does include the XBox. However, the NATIVE UWP export only has limited XBox support and you need to become a licenced XBox dev through their Creators program before you can use the full range of XBox functions for UWP: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program/ The UWP licence does NOT include access to this program, however. It simply gives you the means to publish games through that program. Note that there is an additional cost of about $20 to register with MS as a creator, but that's a one-time-fee and after that setting up the account and actually publishing is pretty straightforward.

DTheChemist

Yeah i did the devs program first when i got an Xbox series S (messing around dumping in emulators for fun). For some reason it sparked everything to want to try to create now and test it on there. So yeah i got the license for that first and early lol. ive been dancing around different programs to create on for 5 months and now Game maker has been the next one im testing waters in for what im trying for a 2D platformer to do so thats why i was so focused on the UWP initially