• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Why do I have to pay to upgrade my license

W

wetoded

am i missing something i thought the reason for a flat rate was so that i wouldn't have to keep dishing out money for this software yet they make an update to 2.0 and now i have to pay more money to get that update? seriously? what next will we have to pay another 200 for an android update when new OS's are released? i dont mind paying money for export options but having to pay for updates to the core software is crap.

yet they make an update to 2.0
but having to pay for updates to the core software is crap
It's not an update to the core software. It is new software written from scratch. It is not an update of 1.x to 2.0. GMS2.0 is a brand new piece of software. That is why you need to pay for it - if you want to use it. This has been talked about for months now, but remember: nobody is forcing to move from GMS1.x as it will still get bug fixes. If you don't want to buy 2.0 then don't, simple as that.

L

Lerner

am i missing something i thought the reason for a flat rate was so that i wouldn't have to keep dishing out money for this software yet they make an update to 2.0 and now i have to pay more money to get that update? seriously? what next will we have to pay another 200 for an android update when new OS's are released? i dont mind paying money for export options but having to pay for updates to the core software is crap.
Welcome to the real world! Programmers need to pay their bills too. And this new version is just awesome, they must have put so much effort in it. So asking for money seems legit to me.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
am i missing something i thought the reason for a flat rate was so that i wouldn't have to keep dishing out money for this software yet they make an update to 2.0 and now i have to pay more money to get that update? seriously?
When you purchased your 1.x license, it was clearly stated that all updates of version 1.x would be free. Nothing was mentioned about 2.x, which is an entirely different product, anyway.

Why did we have to buy Windows <version> when it came out even though we already had purchased Windows <the previous version> and lifetime updates for it before? Because they are different products, not just an update.

It's the same story here. You even said it in this topic's title - it's an "upgrade", not an update.

gnysek

Nobody said you "have to" pay for 2.0. You "can" if you want, but you can stay at 1.4 - it still working, and in some cases gives more possibilities (extensions on mobiles for example).

cgPixel

When you purchased your 1.x license, it was clearly stated that all updates of version 1.x would be free. Nothing was mentioned about 2.x, which is an entirely different product, anyway.
There was a time, where they clearly advertised the Master Collection with "Includes all current & future modules" on the GM:S product page.
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20140519040910/http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

A few months later, *magic time*: They changed it to "Includes all current & future modules in version 1.x"
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20140906013919/http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

This was already mentioned on the old GMC, but I can't find the thread anymore.

K

Kuro

My question is; why would you want Gamemaker to be build around an unsustainable business model?

By releasing a brand new version everyone benefits. Developers benefit; they get to eat. Old customers benefit, we have the option of upgrading and getting our hands on shiny new features. And of course new potential customers benefit; they are more likely to stumble across the software due to the increase in visibility that a new version brings. With a sustainable business model the community as a whole benefits from knowing that the platform we're using is in a good and stable place, and so is likely to continue to be around for a while.

Imho, it's much better that they are making new versions and selling them than forever iterating on an old one for free.