• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Why are hex colours #BBGGRR instead of #RRGGBB?

B

Big_Macca_101

Just curious as to why GMS uses hexadecimal colours in the format of Blue/Green/Red rather than Red/Green/Blue like most other programs and languages use?

Its just a bit confusing to me and to other's I would imagine.

Because colors are stored in little endian. draw_set_color() takes only one argument, which is color. You'll notice that make_color_rgb() is in the standard format, and this outputs a little endian color value.

As far as what "little endian" means, that's a complicated subject and a totally different question. If you want to learn a bit more, this is a good place to start.

B

Big_Macca_101

Because colors are stored in little endian. draw_set_color() takes only one argument, which is color. You'll notice that make_color_rgb() is in the standard format, and this outputs a little endian color value.

As far as what "little endian" means, that's a complicated subject and a totally different question. If you want to learn a bit more, this is a good place to start.
Awesome thankyou, I'll look into this, might just write a script to convert an RGB hex format to GMS colour.

EDIT: Use gnysek's script below instead.

I was bored and also wanted to write my colors as RGB so I just wrote up this simple RGB to BGR script. Feel free to use it.

Code:
///convert_color_endianness(val)
//Converts a color from RGB to the little endian BGR and vice versa
var rgb = argument[0],
    bgr = 0,   //Output
    bsh = $10; //Number of bits to shift

bgr = (rgb & $FF) << bsh;      //Blue
bgr += (rgb & $FF00);          //Green
bgr += (rgb & $FF0000) >> bsh; //Red

return bgr;
Also feel free to change the name. It's pretty long and I didn't put much thought into it.

Last edited:

gnysek

I was bored and also wanted to write my colors as RGB so I just wrote up this simple RGB to BGR script. Feel free to use it.

Code:
///convert_color_endianness(val)
//Converts a color from RGB to the little endian BGR and vice versa
var rgb = argument[0],
    bgr = 0,   //Output
    bsh = $10; //Number of bits to shift

bgr = (rgb & $FF) << bsh;      //Blue
bgr += (rgb & $FF00);          //Green
bgr += (rgb & $FF0000) >> bsh; //Red

return bgr;
Also feel free to change the name. It's pretty long and I didn't put much thought into it.

Code:
/// @desc rgb_to_bgr - converts RGB int/hex to BGR real
/// @param rgb_color {real} example: $00BBFF or 48127

return (argument0 & $FF) << 16 | (argument0 & $FF00) | (argument0 & $FF0000) >> 16;
I love one liners <3 !

Code:
/// @desc rgb_to_bgr - converts RGB int/hex to BGR real
/// @param rgb_color {real} example: $00BBFF or 48127

return (argument0 & $FF) << 16 | (argument0 & $FF00) | (argument0 & $FF0000) >> 16;
I love one liners <3 !
I knew I was forgetting something. I even normally do that with 16-bit ints. It's too late for me to code, haha.

S

Storyteller

there really seems to be no reason to keep things this way. being compatible with other languages, libraries and standards of practice is a good thing. all the oddities that remain for backwards compatibility are part of what keeps GM from reaching its potential. there is no good reason to keep this non-standard practice.