• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Why am I getting 2,500 "fps real" but only 45-47 fps with room speed of 60?!

Okay, my game isn't that big at all, and I am beyond frustrated.

This makes NO sense at all.

when I run my game and display my FPS REAL and FPS updated 3 times per second.. I'm getting 2,400+ fps real but with a room speed of 60, I'm on getting 45-47 fps. What the heck is this nonsense and how do I fix this?

Also, my character is set to a constant movement speed of 8 in a room speed of 60. sometimes while playing the game just speeds up to lightning speeds and for a few seconds he will move almost twice as fast.

So confused, please help!

Microsoft changed a setting in windows 10 to do with the way that software sleeps, which breaks a lot of things, including game maker 1.4 games.

Here's a relevant section from my tutorial that should fix this issue.
As game maker 1.4 is quite old, there are some things that don't work anymore and need to be fixed.

Performance issues
Microsoft changed the way sleep margins work by default for all apps, and it causes all GM1.4 compiled games to run at 66% speed. See Windows 10 Scheduler slowdown bug.

Download and import this GMS extension to your project (drag the gmez over your project, or right click the extensions folder in the resource tree and select "add extension").
Full documentation here.

To use, just call this at the start of your game.
gmsched_init();
scheduler_resolution_set(scheduler_resolution_get_min());

You can also fix already compiled games by placing this DLL next to the .exe.
But if the game uses the self extractor, i.e. they selected "Single runtime executable (.exe)" when the game was initially compiled, you must extract out all the files from the exe first. This can be done using software winrar or z7ip.