• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Who would I present a game design document too

A

Ant_Youtube

I'm going to write one but I want to know who has the logistical knowledge to guess how much it would take to create the game. Is it producers?

It's going to be a 3d story game emphasizing animation and voice acting. The animation focusing on being completely flowing and having expressive faces. The tale is about a bipolar who interacts with spirits and their tales.

A

Ant_Youtube

The plan is to find somebody who knows the logistics then start a kickstarter campaign.

gmx0

The Game Design Document is from, for, and by the Game Designer himself.

Others may reference it from time to time, but the document is for *you* (if you're the designer). The GDD is the masterplan.

Of course, apart from that, make a section in the document for the publishers, animators, etc. that will view your document.

On the other hand, you don't actually have to give producers/publishers the Game Design Document. What you can give them is the proposal or pitch. A proposal outlines what will you do with the money they give you and what milestones. A pitch says what a game is to publishers.

Yes, you can put both proposal and pitch in the Game Design Document as well, but have separate copies of it just in case.

M

MishMash

There are many levels to this, a game design "document" can consist of many different components. Inside, there would be an abstract overview of the game idea, the story, the main characters and interactions they have. But on the other hand, you may also dive into the more technical aspects, and then as gmx0 said, something that is targeted as being a resource requirement.

The issue you will have is that surface-level game design documents don't really provide the full context. Game ideas evolve over time, requirements change when you discuss things with your artist/programmers. The standard roles also vary depending on whether you are talking about an AAA game studio, or a small studio. The idea of a producer doesn't really exist in the Indie scene. There will be one or more people enacting multiple roles at the same time, in which case, you would be the one to sit in that position.

This question needs a little bit more depth as to what/how you plan to go about creating the game. If its kickstarter you are after, then the responsibility to work out how much needs to be spent is mostly on your own shoulders. People with experience may be able to give you some analysis, publishers could do this, but if you aren't at a position where you can do that, I don't really believe the role of a stand-alone producer exists for indie games, simply because it is often the job of the main game creator to do that. (Introducing more roles will often just dilute requirements further, which is why indie's tend to stick with relatively small teams of people).

Making assumptions about what you are doing, I would strongly recommend not creating a kickstarter purely based off of a game design document, you want to be able to have a playable prototype to show people. I will also say that 3D games + animation are very expensive to make. Animation is a hugely time consuming process, so unless you are the artist/animator, I would be cautious if this is your first commercial/funded project. The general truth is, in the indie scene, no one really knows how much things should cost. Its a large area of lacking experience, but unfortunately something you only learn from having experience on projects.

D

Deanaro

The plan is to find somebody who knows the logistics then start a kickstarter campaign.
the last thing we want is for every person to make a kickstarter. It would be best to stir away from it until you have a good portfolio and a good looking that will draw peoples attention demo at least.
And even then its better to stir away seeing as kickstarter projects have a reputation for being scams.