Legacy GM Whitescreen, then switch to windowed mode

C

chaslinux

My game starts in full screen mode. When the player runs out of lives it seems to switch from full screen to windowed mode. I also think there's some kind of error since I get a white screen for a second before it switches to windowed mode.

Death happens when they player collides with another object. I have a few objects that have collision events (with instance_destroy() self and other). After 3 lives are loss the obj_deadplayer object gets called. Obj_deadplayer just changes the angle.

The collision event for each object contains the following snippet of code:
Code:
    else // this is game over
    {
        instance_create(0,0,obj_gameover);
        // the next line is a bug because it doesn't check to see if player actually
        // got a high score ...
        global.name = get_string_async("Enter your name (10 characters max): ", "");

// get_name = false;
    }
At the end of the object (that the player collides with) I have an asynchronous dialog with the following code:

Code:
// listen for async dialog even from obj_player (else) where player game over is triggered

var ident = ds_map_find_value(async_load, "id");

if ident == global.name
{
    if ds_map_find_value(async_load, "status") // if ok is click on dialog box
    {
        global.name = ds_map_find_value(async_load, "result"); //get player's name

// trim the player's name to 10 characters
        if string_length(global.name) > 10
        {
            global.name = string_copy(global.name, 1, 10);
        }

// open scores.ini from fasteroids game directory
        ini_open("scores.ini")
        for (i = 0; i < 10; i++)
        {
            // populate the scores array with values from the ini file.
            global.score_array[i, 0] = ini_read_string(string(i), "Name", "Mr. Fast");
            global.score_array[i, 1] = ini_read_real(string(i), "Score", 0);
        }
        ini_close();

// Look through the array to assign the player spot
        for (i = 0; i < 10; i++)
        {
            if (global.points > global.score_array[i, 1]) // score should be player score
            {
                // Start at the last element of the array, set each to one before it
                for (tscores = 9; tscores > i; tscores--)
                {
                    global.score_array[tscores, 0] = global.score_array[tscores-1, 0];
                    global.score_array[tscores, 1] = global.score_array[tscores-1, 1];
                }
                // now set the player score in its spot
                global.score_array[i, 0] = global.name;
                global.score_array[i, 1] = global.points;
                break;
            }
        }
        // Now update the score.ini file with updated info
       ini_open("scores.ini");
       for (i = 0; i < 10; i++)
        {
            ini_write_string(string(i), "Name", global.score_array[i, 0]);
            ini_write_real(string(i), "Score", global.score_array[i, 1]);
        }
        ini_close(); // close the file

room_goto(rm_highscores);       
    }
}
I can't seem to find where it's switching from full screen to windowed mode, but I suspect this asynchronous dialog is what's causing the switch. There's nothing in rm_highscores Creation Code and it doesn't really even get that far since it asks for the player name first.

Cheers and thanks!

N

noobhere

@chaslinux Yes, same thing here. Mine was switching when show_message or show_question. I know because when I remove, it doesn't. But I also don't know how could it does the switch.

C

chaslinux

You're right there. I've been there - AFAIK your options are to live with it, or create your own input dialogue.

Hope I helped :)
This is what I ended up doing, while my input dialog looks and feels pretty terrible, it works -- kind of. There's still a bug I have to squash where it asks for a name before testing to see if the global.points is even greater than the array of high scores - in other words it just goes to the rm_nameroom regardless of whether the player got a high score or not. But that problem is easy to fix, it's just moving a bit of code around and testing before redirecting to the rm_nameroom.

Thanks Fat_Man3468800, now I just need to do a bit of beautification!