• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows White screen of death

Wilbo21

Today I was working on a project when randomly it started refusing to open when I try to run the game. I was editing some variables in a room that doesn't open on start-up, and I would think has no impact on me trying to run the game, and now whenever I try to launch (debugger or regular mode) it opens a white screen which doesn't respond.

here is my output message:

"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0299274s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 06/29/2021 12:59:26
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\61435\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0301466s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\61435\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 06/29/2021 12:59:26
"cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.2.426"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0168142s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.2.426" started at 06/29/2021 12:59:26
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.2.426/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\61435\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Import_BCABB360\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\william.egan_262871\local_settings.json
Failed to load Options from C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\william.egan_262871\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Import_BCABB360\targetoptions.json
Setting up the Asset compiler
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /mv=1 /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Import" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Import_BCABB360" /zpuf="C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\william.egan_262871" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="Default" /o="Y:/Import_51DFE327_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Import_51DFE327_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Drive\GMS2\Projects\Import\Import.yyp" /preprocess="Z:/Import_BCABB360"
We have a Zeus Project!
Found Project Format 2
ProjectFileWatcher:StartWatching:C:\Drive\GMS2\Projects\Import
Started: 29/06/2021 12:59:27 PM
Finished: 29/06/2021 12:59:27 PM
Diff: 00:00:00.3202360
Loaded Project: Import
finished.
Release build
Options: Z:/Import_BCABB360\ExtensionOptions.json
OptionsIni
Options: Z:/Import_BCABB360\PlatformOptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /mv=1 /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Import" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Import_BCABB360" /zpuf="C:\Users\61435\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\william.egan_262871" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="Default" /o="Y:/Import_51DFE327_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Import_51DFE327_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Drive\GMS2\Projects\Import\Import.yyp" /bt=run /rt=vm /64bitgame=false
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... Y:/Import_51DFE327_VM\Import.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ACRV
Writing Chunk... SEQN
Writing Chunk... TAGS
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... DFNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=620.3305
Stats : GMA : sp=6,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=4,sh=0,fo=1,tl=0,ob=24,ro=6,da=0,ex=0,ma=8,fm=0x1000A21C6BFF2020
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Import_BCABB360\MainOptions.json
X://windows/Runner.exe -game "Y:/Import_51DFE327_VM\Import.win"
Setting scheduler resolution to 1
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device
Collision Event time(microsecs)=3

X://windows/Runner.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:01:19.9099053s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.2.426/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\61435\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 06/29/2021 12:59:26
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0201585s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 06/29/2021 13:00:46
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0328643s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 06/29/2021 13:00:46
"cmd" /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0170077s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 06/29/2021 13:00:46
FAILED: Run Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.

The Compile Errors has nothing to show and the only way I can shutdown the game maker client is with the task manager.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thankyou.

rIKmAN

Have you tried clearing the cache?

If the only thing you changed made the game go to a white screen then I would definitely double check whatever it was you changed and possibly comment it out / change it back to see if did actually have an effect.

Also some information on what you exactly changed would help as there are some things that are processed at startup before anything else regardless of what room / object the code is in.

Wilbo21

Thanks for your reply!

I tried commenting everything I had recently edited and it did not fix my issue. The code I was working on was just some variables that assigned x and y coords to some sprites.

I did manage to fix it though! I made a copy of my project and deleted everything item by item and it turned out to be a script that had no code in it. I had made a script and then changed my mind and decided I didn't need it but its mere existence somehow crippled my game. Now it is gone and my game runs smooth. Ty for your suggestion about the cache, I have never cleared it before but I will be when I run into more issues in the future.

rIKmAN

Thanks for your reply!

I tried commenting everything I had recently edited and it did not fix my issue. The code I was working on was just some variables that assigned x and y coords to some sprites.

I did manage to fix it though! I made a copy of my project and deleted everything item by item and it turned out to be a script that had no code in it. I had made a script and then changed my mind and decided I didn't need it but its mere existence somehow crippled my game. Now it is gone and my game runs smooth. Ty for your suggestion about the cache, I have never cleared it before but I will be when I run into more issues in the future.
Glad you fixed it!

Nice troubleshooting steps using a copy of your project and working backwards deleting things until you found the culprit, I wish more people had that initiative when trying to find bugs and troubleshoot what the problem with their project is.

If you ever get any weird problems like garbled graphics or unexpected errors etc the first thing you should always do is clear the cache and try again.
It's the GMS2 equivalent of restarting your PC to fix something weird happening and can solve a lot of issues - it's the little broom icon at the top of the IDE.

Happy coding!