• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Which version of Game Maker Studio should I get?

krb

Once upon a time, I had a copy of Game Maker when it was free.

I might try using it again, but which version is good for a beginner who may create a few commercial projects?

I've been looking at the personal license, but does it come with full functionality and the ability to publish completed games?

BiTrunade

I've been looking at the personal license, but does it come with full functionality and the ability to publish completed games?
If you are referring to the "Creator License" then yes. It comes with full functionality and the ability to export to Windows or Mac depending on your license.

You can purchase the creator license for $39 for a year and get a 30% discount on the lifetime desktop license, or you can directly buy the desktop license.

As for Mobile and HTML5, it all boils down to your intentions to release on those platforms. If you are a mobile developer, then it goes without saying to buy the mobile license, the same logic applies to other platforms.

I personally use GameMaker for freelance work, therefore I am very much okay with my $39 annual subscription to GMS2.

krb

Do they still have the helpful step-by-step tutorials for making different types of games in GML?

Last edited:

BiTrunade

Do they still have the helpful step-by-step tutorials for making different types of games in GML?
Of course, right on the start-up page.

1605085563500.png

GMS2.3 is fancy, you can always buy the $39 license and see for yourself, I myself took that route, no regrets whatsoever. And once you get the $39 license you receive a 30% discount on the Desktop license, which is great given you already have paid 39% of the price already with the $39 license.

It is really up to you to decide which license to buy, but at the end of the day, they are the same software, only different exports.