• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Which to start with first when making an rpg.

F

Fanifacation

Heya, im begining work on an rpg and am learning game maker. I want to know which i should work on first, overworld movement and interactions, or the battle system?
Thanks in advance
-Parker

NicoDT

There's not really a proper or more convenient way to start. Just start with the one you feel more comfortable with.

What you should do before starting is planning. If you know exactly what you want, and have an idea of how to do it, it will be much easier.

good luck!

I think the battle system will be the toughest thing you mentioned, especially if you're learning. So I'd suggest starting with the overworld/town movement and see how you go.

Genetix

The inventory and menu systems will definitely be the hardest thing to do - and sadly you need to get them up and running before you can work on much else. It is easy to lose motivation when working system stuff, so it is good to take a break every so often and spend a little time on art, music, and designing the levels and environments.

Every attempt I've made to create an RPG has always started with map movement, then NPC interface, then menus and systems, and finally battle system. Just seem to be the logical order to me.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm with the others - start with the overworld system. If you fail at making the battle system and other things, at least you can salvage the overworld system and use in many other game types than RPGs, so it's a sound investment. Doing overworld stuff should ease you into using data structures and things like that which makes making menus and battle systems and such easier.

Also, I've made a bunch of resources you might find interesting:
NPC/simple menu system: https://yaru.itch.io/yaru-npc-engine
Complex mouse-based inventory system: https://yaru.itch.io/yarumenuengine

F

Fanifacation

Thanks alot everyone. Ive got basic movement with a still sprite, screen size, and moving the screen with the sprite down now. Ill work on changing sprites while moving next.

D

danzibr

Whoa, awesome, more stuff from Benjamin! Love that guy, took two of his Udemy courses.

Anyway, I'm in the process of making an RPG. I'm doing it in order: first the menu screen, then the party create screen, then overworld movement, and so on. Working well so far (not that I'm very far in...).