Graphics Which kind of assets are needed for a game like Archero ?

A

Antera

Hello,

I make a simple game, inspired by Archero, without 3D

I have experience in flat web programming but I'm terrible at orientation and dimensions, and struggling to get the right words to describe what I need

Could you confirm or correct this ?

Floor is "top down", flat ?
Decorations are "isometric" "top down" ?
Characters are 3D, but I can make something similar with "isometric" "top down" ?

I browsed dozens of game assets websites, but can't find more than a few characters in this view with up down left right

Many thanks for your insights

Attachments

Rayek

The background and objects are both rendered in an oblique top-down perspective. As are the characters, btw. All is top-down oblique. With one of the angles 90 degrees, it becomes an oblique viewpoint (see bottom row below).

What is called 'isometric' in games is often not quite 'real' isometric, btw. In older 8bit games the angle was defined by doubling pixels (Knightlore is the most famous example) or use 2:1 pixels (Amstrad Crafton & Xunk). Later with higher resolutions and anti-aliasing used for edges (as well as 3d rendered images) it became a matter of taste.

The correct term would be an axonometric view point for what many call 'isometric' games.

The simplest way of creating 2d graphics in this style is to render to an oblique camera in a 3d application. Same for the animations.
2d games utilizing an oblique view may have flat top-down floor graphics, and the walls, objects, and characters drawn in true oblique style.

As long as it looks good.

Last edited:
A

Antera

The background and objects are both rendered in an oblique top-down perspective. As are the characters, btw. All is top-down oblique. With one of the angles 90 degrees, it becomes an oblique viewpoint (see bottom row below).

What is called 'isometric' in games is often not quite 'real' isometric, btw. In older 8bit games the angle was defined by doubling pixels (Knightlore is the most famous example) or use 2:1 pixels (Amstrad Crafton & Xunk). Later with higher resolutions and anti-aliasing used for edges (as well as 3d rendered images) it became a matter of taste.

The correct term would be an axonometric view point for what many call 'isometric' games.
Wow many thanks Rayek. So top down oblique it is :)

Not many "top down oblique game assets" available :-(

Rayek

I've amended my post: the simplest method to create similar style graphics is to render 3d models in an oblique view. For example, Blender. It is also possible to use Blender to create simplified versions, and then overpaint them in a graphics editor/digital painting app.

NightFrost

I would think that top-down oblique were the most common 2D art resource style around. Most commercial 2D RPGs and many dungeon crawlers are made with that view (with another common one for dungeon crawlers being platformer style side view). Maybe you need to refine your search words, like look for "RPG tilesets."

Rayek

A

Antera

Wow it's awesome, many thanks, it's exactly what I needed.

For my 1st game, I think I will do like many do in a casual restaurant when choosing wine : not the cheapest, but the second on the list.
Top with a little twist of fake 3d in the sprites to approach top down oblique
Without sprite scaling