Where to start??

Vxss57

I have been brainstorming ideas for my game, and I am getting to a stage where I can begin working on the actual game, but this is probably the hardest part. Im simply clueless where to begin. So many questions, isometric, top down, 45deg, tiled or not, and so on. Hardest part is probably Im not a coder, but being an artist, I have decided to just work on assets. That raised more questions, painted or pixel? I havent done much pixel art, so had some practice.
If anyone needs some light help with their games, please let me know. Im free but I just want to work on assets, I don't want to promise anything I cant deliver, so no animations or anything major (for now)
Thanks

Attachments

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Hi mate! I advise you to make a portifolio and show it on the Collaboration section of this forum. People looks for artists there.

If you want to make a game, well, roll up your sleves and do some tutorials and try to make prototypes and simple tiny games at first. There is a bunch of videos on youtube and people here on the forum are very helpful. Just address your question here with as much detail as you can and post your code.

If you don't want to code, team up with someone that does. I, for one, am abismal in art, but I do love to code games. Usually I hire people from the collab section.

Cheers! =]

Toque

Coding isn’t for everyone. I agree. Try a small game and just see if you like it. Follow a few tutorials.

lots of people code but can’t do art. I’m not good at either so your at least half way there. Could collaborate with someone.

pixeltroid

I have been brainstorming ideas for my game, and I am getting to a stage where I can begin working on the actual game, but this is probably the hardest part. Im simply clueless where to begin. So many questions, isometric, top down, 45deg, tiled or not, and so on. Hardest part is probably Im not a coder, but being an artist, I have decided to just work on assets. That raised more questions, painted or pixel? I havent done much pixel art, so had some practice.
Thanks
If you're an artist and not a coder, then keep in mind that coding games will be an uphill task. I know this because I'm also an artist with very minimal coding skills. Having art skills is great and all but to make games that work and fun to play, you need code.

Whether your game has to be isometric or top down or whatever, you need to decide. Just settle on a genre and start making your first game using placeholder art, and add the real thing only when you're sure everything is mostly sorted out from a coding perspective. Don't fine tune your art until then.

Make sure your first project is SMALL...like, as small as the first level in Super Mario bros. That way you can figure out all your game's mechanics and control.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If I were in your shoes, I'd do something like this:
  1. Brainstorm a bunch of things you feel like doing
  2. Sort them in order of how complicated they seem at first glance
  3. Try them out and see if they were that complicated
  4. If they were harder than they seemed, scrap them and move on to the next thing on the list. Otherwise, make the thing.
  5. When you get enough things done, stick them together and call it gameplay.
  6. Repeat until you get bored of the project (this will happen)
  7. Polish it up and release it before you lose all motivation

AriesGames

Bruh, I'm like 3-4 years into delay time on my game. Burn-out is water gun for me. I am not qualified to response to this thread.

Listen to this guys in this forum. Don't overscope is what I find the most important indie dev rule.

How to come out with ideas? Brainstorm and then analyze those concepts on how difficult is the development complexity for each.