• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Where to set depth in GM2?

H

Hudsonius

I'm new to GM2. I used the old one a lot, but GM2 I just got two days ago. Anyways, I was wondering where you set object depth in the object's properties. I know you can just set an event saying:
depth = [your depth];
but this messes up room editing and it makes the object seem weirdly placed. If anyone can help with this simple issue, it would be great

I

icuurd12b42

You don't. the object instance is set to the depth of the layer it's added onto in the room editor

I

icuurd12b42

99% of people should find this feature much better than the old way

T

Ting_Thing

You'll also notice that instance_create is now instance_create_depth. That's a pretty significant change.

You can still set the variable depth in the create event if you want. The variable simply changes the layer that the instance is on, creating a new layer if needed. But that shouldn't be necessary anymore unless you want to override the "depth" part of instance_create_depth.