Where is that "Free Version"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AkiraPhnx

So i've been pretty much killed over once by every single 💩💩💩💩ing person that i tell i would use their thing or something if it wasnt on FORKING GAMEMAKER and guess what
In the process of pretty much killing me from telling me that there is a "Free Version"* of GameMaker wich tooootally exists and toootally isn't clickbait.
If that is so, (That there "exists" a free version) THEN WHY CAN'T I FIND IT ANYWHERE
Don't come up with your TRIAL AND LITE VERSION BULLSHIRU because both the Trial is limited as 💩💩💩💩 and the Lite version dosen't count as a free version, but rather SUPPOSED software that pretty much dosen't exist or perfectly working software but with a LOT of ads.
So, that's both my rage being spilled out and my question about the supposed "Free Version" of GameMaker.

PS: the trial : that's the definition of lite versions, at least to me. I don't really count lite versions because they're either filled up to the mouth with ads or they just are hard to get and have little limitations (or big limitations)
Stil, i'm sorry for the swear words.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
GameMaker: Studio 1.4 used to have a free version. It was discontinued on the release of Studio 2.
It was available for years, and was taken down sometime last year I believe.

There is a trial for Studio 2 that has resource restrictions and some gml restrictions, it's for testing to see if you like the software.
YoYo is a company, and companies need to make money, the free version didn't make money, so it was phased out.

andev

If you can't find it on a mirror somewhere, try the release notes page, which has all the installers. The big green "Version 1.4.X" at the top of each section is a direct download for the installer. I can't remember when they phased it out but if in doubt, start with one of the very first ones and work forwards (unless you're happy with a really old version, in which case just stick to the first one that works).

You will know it works because when you've installed it, one of the 3 options on the launch screen (I think it's the first?) will be the option to use the free version without a license. It's been ages since I used the free version, so forgive me if this method does not work anymore.

NOTE: Make sure you perform the install with your wifi off, otherwise it might try to update to a version where it's been removed.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
You can get the trial version of GM: S just fine, but it has restrictions.
That's not the free license.
The free license isn't available anymore, so the only way to get one is aftermarket, which isn't supported by YoYo.

rIKmAN

So i've been pretty much killed over once by every single ****ing person that i tell i would use their thing or something if it wasnt on FORKING GAMEMAKER and guess what
In the process of pretty much killing me from telling me that there is a "Free Version"* of GameMaker wich tooootally exists and toootally isn't clickbait.
If that is so, (That there "exists" a free version) THEN WHY CAN'T I FIND IT ANYWHERE
Don't come up with your TRIAL AND LITE VERSION BULLSHIRU because both the Trial is limited as **** and the Lite version dosen't count as a free version, but rather SUPPOSED software that pretty much dosen't exist or perfectly working software but with a LOT of ads.
Great first post, you sound like you are going to be a credit to the community. :rolleyes:

You can get Creators Edition for $39, I don't understand why people are complaining so much about the price when there are options to suit every budget. But yeah let's have everything for free so then you can moan some more when YYG go bust due to lack of income and there is no more GMS at all...

@andev
I believe the version you install is irrelevant now, they changed the licencing when GMS2 came out of beta so if you hadn't already signed up for a free licence before that date then you are now unable to sign up for one.
Will the Free version still be available?

When GameMaker Studio 2 leaves Beta, you will no longer be able to register a new free license for GameMaker: Studio Standard. However those people who have registered the Free version with their YoYo Account before this point will be able to continue using it without issues.
Source: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235626968-GM-S-1-X-Sale-To-Be-Discontinued-FAQ

andev

if you hadn't already signed up for a free licence before that date then you are now unable to sign up for one.
Yeah but I'm referring to a really early version where you didn't need to sign up, like in the screenshot above. You just clicked the "use free edition" button and it worked. But yeah, it's restricted so that's probably not what you want.

XanthorXIII

The trial is just that, a trial. You don’t need to come on here and yell at us. That doesn’t help your position. $39 or $100 for great software is a great deal. I honestly think the mods should just start locking these threads.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
As has been said, there is no "free" version, only trial versions. You can still do a lot with the trial version, except make an EXE to distribute. 1.x is no longer distributed or sold.

Creators edition retails at $39, while desktop is $99.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.