• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Where is room speed

L

lummisam

I get what it is. I want to see the number in the UI. Like where in the GM2 UI does it show room speed. Which tabs or menus do I find it on? I feel like the most basic information is being hidden from me for no good reason and it's making me crazy!

chamaeleon

And if you mean in the GMS UI while editing your game and not inside the game while it is running, you will find the location of this information in the Game Options -> Main panel, where you can change it to the value you desire it to be when the game is running.

L

lummisam

Thank you both. Isn't there an individual value for roomspeed though? such that different rooms can run at different speeds?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You can set the game's speed under Game Options -> Main > General -> Game frames per second.

Should you want to change this value at run time, there's a game_set_speed function.

Why do you want to run different rooms at different speeds, though? That sounds like it'll just lead to problems further down the road.

L

lummisam

I've got an idea for a game where the "feel" speeds up and slows down at different points; like sleepy parts and active parts. I was planning on doing this mostly with background animations, but changing roomspeed could also change how the player interacts with the game and could be a nice effect, like making the controls suddenly get sluggish. It's easy enough to write a little code that does this, but being able to see the value represented in different rooms would be nice.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I suggest implementing that via delta timing, not changing the room speed, because changing the room speed will also change the game's refresh rate and responsiveness to user input.

You can then draw this value at run time in any way you want (or the FPS via game_get_speed if you choose to go that route after all).

If we're talking about displaying this in the IDE, that's not possible as it's not possible for the IDE to know which game speed you'll have defined at which point in time, and therefore in which room.

L

lummisam

Well, I've got a long way to go before I'm ready to start working with this anyway. Thanks for your help.

JeffJ

I've made it pretty much a habit at this point to code, from scratch, everything in-game with at least one global speed modifier in mind (like, my own global.gameSpeed variable). Everything that happens, such as movement and actions can then be easily modified by multiplying it by that number, so you could set everything to double speed, or slow down everything by 90% with one line of code. It makes it a lot easier to tweak overall gamespeed / feel down the line, and it's also a very neat way of implementing bullet-time like effects, should the need arise. I recommend trying to get into this habit. The good thing is you haven't started yet, as it's a pain to do in a game that's already quite a bit along in development.