• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Where is 'Create Textures On Demand' for Windows?

T

Tankwars

In GMS1, you could prevent all textures from loading into memory at once by a check box in the global game settings for the Window platform.

To quote the manual, it says it exists in GMS2:
It is worth noting that by default on the Windows platforms (YYC and standard) all textures will always be loaded into memory on start-up. If you are making a cross platform game, then you can leave this function in your code for the Windows target as it will not give any error and just not do anything. However you can also force the Windows target to not load any textures on startup and so use the flush and prefetch functions as you would on all other platforms (the setting can be found in the Windows Options window).
But I can't find it anywhere in Game Options for Windows. Where is it exactly, hasn't it been added in yet? I would rather not have every single texture load into memory if they don't need to be.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
It appears in the English language localization file, ready for the options panel. I presume it hasn't been implemented yet.

T

Tankwars

I ran a quick test with some large surfaces to see if they would increase the memory usage value in debug mode compared to if they weren't created. They didn't appear to, which matches the behaviour I expected. :)

I will say though, that in GMS1, you had to set a font asset while 'Create Textures on Demand' was active, otherwise you would get a 'blocky' output when drawing text. Doesn't happen in GMS2.