GameMaker Where i can get basic interface elements (simple IDE)?

U

User

I understand that GMS2 is not IDE like Qt or RAD Studio.
But in my game i need basic interface elements (Basic GUI).
I need label (text label) to write (and change from programm/code) some text.
And need input for user login/password etc. I need dropbox.

I searched for a long time and understood that there is no IDE in GMS2, but i can buy/download asset (marketplace). It's right?

I download Hanif Flat UI (https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4789/hanif-flat-ui). It look good, but it for studio 1.4. How i can install it in GMS 2? Or maybe this is a bad idea.
And i dont see any menu item/button like install asset. Marketplace->My Library no any buttons or options for installing assets.

sylvain_l

you can import any GMS1.4 asset into GMS2, it will add the compatibility script required for the asset to run. (the success of the import vary. But hanif import and run; just seams having issue with memory, at leat for me the last time I tested it; on long run it memory usage for the demo grows it seam slowly but surely - note sure if it Hnif or a GMS2 issue)

there is a demo in the package that showcase all the UI element it offers, just see how it's used.

it's more a programming UI lib. To give you a glimpse of how it's used in the demo:
Code:
///Instance controls

//Normal button
button0 = ui_button_create(32, 192, 389, 48, "NORMAL BUTTON");

//Flat button
button1 = ui_button_create(448, 192, 389, 48, "FLAT BUTTON");
ui_button_set_flat(button1, true);
ui_set_foreground_colour(button1, ui_black);

//Disabled button
button2 = ui_button_create(858, 192, 389, 48, "DISABLED BUTTON");
ui_set_enable(button2, false);

//Colouring button
button3 = ui_button_create(32, 256, 288, 48, "COLOURING BUTTON");
ui_set_background_colour(button3, ui_red);
button4 = ui_button_create(340, 256, 288, 48, "COLOURING BUTTON");
ui_set_background_colour(button4, ui_orange);
button5 = ui_button_create(648, 256, 288, 48, "COLOURING BUTTON");
ui_set_background_colour(button5, ui_green);
button6 = ui_button_create(956, 256, 288, 48, "COLOURING BUTTON");
ui_set_background_colour(button6, ui_brown);
of course you could extend it to work more like a visual one^^

GMS2 is an IDE^^ for game creation, not app. which means that there is no UI editor.
That doesn't prevent you from creating button or any UI element. (you can use the room editor as an UI editor for you app/game)

if you are looking for a visual UI extension (using the room editor as UI editor), you should use another extension.

p.s.
once you purchased assets sometime you need to restart GMS for it to refresh the list in "my library": there you need to download first the extension on your HDD; than you'll import the extension into your project (or in a fresh project)

sylvain_l

^^ you should have a better look at the demo examples.

they use an object in the room that act as controller (so more how I tried to use the extension)
-> create event: you define your ui elements
-> draw event: or you use ui_draw_all, or if you want more control you can draw them individually with the corresponding ui_draw_* function
-> step event for interaction handling with things like if(ui_button_clicked(button123)){ //do something ;}

p.s.
generally speaking; any drawing must be done in one of the draw event family. you can't do it in room creation event which is only called once (when room is created !)