• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Where can I find old GM versions?

Kyrieru

I have a finished game that I need to revise for release on Steam. However it was made with an old version of GM and I don't know which it was. I think it had a repeating number like .355 at the end. Maybe 1.355?

The versions don't seem to go back as they used to. Does anybody have that particular version?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
We probably don't, and even if we do, it's not possible to register cleanly. The registration servers have moved several times already. The versions you can no longer get from the GMS 1.4 Release Notes are that way because of this.

Besides, what do you specifically need from that old version that newer versions don't? And if you don't want to be caught off-guard against Steam-side policy/API changes that could kick your product off the shelves, you probably want to port that project to GMS 2 as soon as you can.

Kyrieru

We probably don't, and even if we do, it's not possible to register cleanly. The registration servers have moved several times already. The versions you can no longer get from the GMS 1.4 Release Notes are that way because of this.

Besides, what do you specifically need from that old version that newer versions don't? And if you don't want to be caught off-guard against Steam-side policy/API changes that could kick your product off the shelves, you probably want to port that project to GMS 2 as soon as you can.
I don't need anything from it, but it was made in the older version, which means dozens of things are broken, and there's no real reason to spend a day fixing them if I don't need to.
The game does not have achievements or any steam integration.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
As far as I know, there's not even any legal way to get Studio 1 these days (unless you already own a license).

The conversion route is a bit messy, but there's workarounds for most stuff...
  • execute_string is removed --> put all your strings into scripts (if you used it for NPCs and such) and script_execute instead
  • sleep is removed --> rework into step/alarm-based approaches
  • array handling is tightened up a ton, globalvar is removed --> I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, because it can lead to all sorts of bugs where the code compiles cleanly but doesn't do what it's supposed to do anymore. Your project is probably dead if you relied on those two a lot.
  • sound system is different --> search-replace everything, make a custom "play background music" function that stops all audio before playing the new song (music doesn't have special "one at a time" treatment anymore)
  • depth is different --> this just looks ugly and usually doesn't break existing games. Mostly annoying is that more recent instances aren't guaranteed to be on top anymore, and depths outside +/- 16,000 are invalid. There's a function to force-draw stuff at any depth, though.

If you still have Studio 1.x around, you should at least upgrade to 1.4. 1.4.9999 has some bugs, I prefer 1.4.1773 for overall stability.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
  • execute_string is removed --> put all your strings into scripts (if you used it for NPCs and such) and script_execute instead
  • sleep is removed --> rework into step/alarm-based approaches
  • array handling is tightened up a ton, globalvar is removed --> I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, because it can lead to all sorts of bugs where the code compiles cleanly but doesn't do what it's supposed to do anymore. Your project is probably dead if you relied on those two a lot.
  • sound system is different --> search-replace everything, make a custom "play background music" function that stops all audio before playing the new song (music doesn't have special "one at a time" treatment anymore)
These are 8.1 to GMS, not GMS to GMS2, unless the topic author meant 8.1;
there are multiple extensions that can aid with executing strings now.
sleep can be replaced with a busy-loop in majority of cases.
globalvar is still around even in GMS2, ideally replaced with macros.

Reactions: Yal

Kyrieru

There were a few reasons back in the day that I did not update.

1. Older versions had weird origin or image_xscale differences (cant remember which) that made updating annoying at the time.
2. Back then I used the sprite editor as my primary way of creating sprites, and newer versions broke the sprite editor for about 3 years straight (Every version after that had broken lines in the sprite editor when drawing with the pencil.)

I don't know if it's been fixed now, but it resulted in me not upgrading for years. Any new projects were made on Studio 2, and all old projects remained on the older Studio version since I saw no practical reason to upgrade.

And yeah, I do have a License for studio 1.

Edit: I looked up an email where I asked them about the editor problem, the version was
1.99.355 EA

Also I just noticed that I can't even try older 1.4 downloads? What's up with that?
It's not uncommon to stay on an old version of software until a project is done and shipped, so it kinda seems like that decision is going to screw over a lot of people with existing projects. It's not just a matter of getting updated features.

Last edited:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Also I just noticed that I can't even try older 1.4 downloads? What's up with that?
It's not uncommon to stay on an old version of software until a project is done and shipped, so it kinda seems like that decision is going to screw over a lot of people with existing projects. It's not just a matter of getting updated features.
You can still access them via web.archive.org. Perhaps something to do with web side of things slowly decaying for 1.4, as is evident by IDE throwing up a few errors on startup

Kyrieru

You can still access them via web.archive.org. Perhaps something to do with web side of things slowly decaying for 1.4, as is evident by IDE throwing up a few errors on startup
Thanks.

Luckily it seems like some of the older versions there give me less problems to fix than the current 1.4.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
2. Back then I used the sprite editor as my primary way of creating sprites, and newer versions broke the sprite editor for about 3 years straight (Every version after that had broken lines in the sprite editor when drawing with the pencil.)
This is still around (and highly annoying). Also the sprite editor ignores alpha values when copy-pasting from an external program like GIMP.
At some point during 1.4 the audio engine was replaced due to licensing issues, the new audio engine has some bugs still in 1.4.9999. I recommend a version from before this transition if possible (at least if you can hear distortion / audio glitches in your project).

(Converting to GMS2 if possible would probably be the best option, though)

globalvar is still around even in GMS2, ideally replaced with macros.
Didn't know that, I thought it was slated for deprecation since GM8 and just was carried over to GMS1.x as a compatibility measure! Maybe there's still hope in getting some of my oldest projects to work after all...

Kyrieru

This is still around (and highly annoying). Also the sprite editor ignores alpha values when copy-pasting from an external program like GIMP.
At some point during 1.4 the audio engine was replaced due to licensing issues, the new audio engine has some bugs still in 1.4.9999. I recommend a version from before this transition if possible (at least if you can hear distortion / audio glitches in your project).

(Converting to GMS2 if possible would probably be the best option, though)

Didn't know that, I thought it was slated for deprecation since GM8 and just was carried over to GMS1.x as a compatibility measure! Maybe there's still hope in getting some of my oldest projects to work after all...
Sad thing is that they knew about the line problem. At the time they told me "Well, GM has always had bad tablet support. You will have to wait until 2x"
Seemed uninformed seeing as how it worked before. I wouldn't complain as much if they still offered the old version.

Though I guess it was for the best to make the switch to Aseprite. GM2's image editor far, far worse. The fact that you can't copy images from it is a joke, and the stupid brush system every time you paste is horrid. You couldn't pay me $5000 to use it for a year.