GML Where can I find an Air Hockey Tut?

B

BBTP

Hello!

I am interested in learning how to code an Air Hockey game that is not DnD, where can I find a good tutorial for one?

S

spoonsinbunnies

I mean if you want to make an air hockey game I would look into pool tutorials, when you want to make something breaking it into smaller things you know or can figure out helps, air hockeys main mechanics would be

*something that you can move with WASD or the mouse, this can be learned with any tutorial

*making a puck that bounces off anything(bouncing is really the hard part of what your asking at least for me, pool games handle bouncing off of round objects fine though so any tutorial for that should help you there)

*and finally having the puck speed up if the paddle that it bounces off of is moving in any direction past parrallel to the puck, then slow down to its original speed, this is essentially just friction with a clamp on speed.

that's everything you need to make air hockey, I doubt you'll find a game specific turtorial for it because outside of touchscreen it doesn't apply well too mouse or keyboard controls in general, however if you can figure out these principles, you can make an air hockey game quite easily. this also seems like a game that would benefit greatly from the physics engine if one can turn the built in friction off for the puck.

B

BBTP

I mean if you want to make an air hockey game I would look into pool tutorials, when you want to make something breaking it into smaller things you know or can figure out helps, air hockeys main mechanics would be

*something that you can move with WASD or the mouse, this can be learned with any tutorial

*making a puck that bounces off anything(bouncing is really the hard part of what your asking at least for me, pool games handle bouncing off of round objects fine though so any tutorial for that should help you there)

*and finally having the puck speed up if the paddle that it bounces off of is moving in any direction past parrallel to the puck, then slow down to its original speed, this is essentially just friction with a clamp on speed.

that's everything you need to make air hockey, I doubt you'll find a game specific turtorial for it because outside of touchscreen it doesn't apply well too mouse or keyboard controls in general, however if you can figure out these principles, you can make an air hockey game quite easily. this also seems like a game that would benefit greatly from the physics engine if one can turn the built in friction off for the puck.
Ok, thanks I'll look into it

S

spoonsinbunnies

I was gonna say, he should just learn to make "pong". It is essentially the exact same concepts just with a 1D paddle movement instead of 2D.
well and the paddle in air hockey can give momentum to the puck, isn't the ball speed in classic pongs speed constant?

Binsk

well and the paddle in air hockey can give momentum to the puck, isn't the ball speed in classic pongs speed constant?
You can't run before you can walk. Design a pong game since that gets all the base elements out of the way. Once you have this add on to it one element at a time to make air hockey.

That is how most programming goes, anyway.