• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

When working on a group project, does everyone need to own GM2?

C

Connor Denney

Hello,

As the title suggests, i want to work on a game with friends. I plan to buy the $99 version of GM2 for use on the project. However, if we were going to publish the game, would they need to have the $99 GM2 as well, or could they work on it with the trial version, and then publish it with my GM2 licensed version? None of my friends would probably ever use GM2 again so they would never agree to buying a license.

Thanks!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I moved your topic here, so official YoYo staff would more likely see it.

I'm not YYG staff, but I'll offer my opinion. If your friends are contributing resources like art and music, concept design, or story-boarding, they shouldn't be expected to purchase a license. If they are contributing code, however, they should have the appropriate licensed version of Studio.

The reason is more practical than legal. The free version of Studio can't import and export archive files (.yyz). And it can't use source control. It is also limited to small numbers of resources. Once your project exceeds those limits, your teammates won't be able to open the project file.

Details about those limits are here.

Legally, just remember that you aren't permitted to export projects given to you by a third party, so they can avoid the license cost. That is strictly forbidden by the license agreement (emphasis mine):
3.3. Other Uses of Publisher Property. IF you hold the appropriate level of GameMaker licence, you may export your content to third party platforms such as iOS and Ubuntu as permitted by us <snip>. In no circumstances are you permitted to, at the request of a third party, export that third party's content. Nor can you request a third party who holds an appropriate level of GameMaker license to carry out such activities on your behalf.
In your situation the content is your own, so this doesn't strictly apply. Nevertheless, it's still more practical for all code contributors to have a licensed version.

sylvain_l

@chance
Silly question but,

What about 3rd party GML code editor?
what if they use GMedit to code and contribute GML code and @Connor Denney as lead dev build the final game ? Does it break yoyogames license.
(I know teammates can't share the same license. Also here it's not really 3rd party - at least as how I understand the part of the license you quote - as they are a team)

Also I don't feel like anyone who published an extension in the marketplace had to own all the licenses for all target that said extension could be used for.
So doesn't feel wrong for me to use a 3rd party GML code editor to contribute to a project.

XanthorXIII

This is where I’d almost like to have some collaborative version of GMS2 for Artists that would load parts of the game that the Artists need to work on the game. For example the Object Properties where you can tweak objects in the level without having to get into the code is a good example of such need. They can pull in via git the game to their editor but can only manipulate levels etc

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
<snip>
...what if they use GMedit to code and contribute GML code and @Connor Denney as lead dev build the final game ? Does it break yoyogames license.
(I know teammates can't share the same license. Also here it's not really 3rd party - at least as how I understand the part of the license you quote - as they are a team)
<snip>
As you'd expect, the license segment I quoted is aimed at people offering "export services" to users who don't want to buy their own license. This deprives YYG of sales. Ultimately, YoYoGames just wants to be treated fairly.

As for the editor (GMEdit), it doesn't violate the license agreement IMO. Obviously YoYoGames isn't concerned, since @YellowAfterlife advertises his tool here on the GMC forum. But as I said above, the bigger issue is practicality. It's just more practical for all members of the code team to share project files, even if they're using external editors like GMEdit. That's why I recommended all team members purchase a license.

But that's up to you.