1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Question - IDE When will we have a GUI system, is it planned?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by xDGameStudios, May 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

Hi everyone :D
    This is a question/issue that lives with me for quite some time. One problem that makes me shift from GMS2 to other engines is actually the GUI support.. every time I start working on a project I approach it using GMS2 as I think it is a powerful and capable tool both for indie and profession use but I always fall in a pit when I think of implementing GUI.

It almost always starts like this
    Code:
    1) the idea is there the concept is perfect...
    2) the game systems are starting to look great
    3) playability is good... and the game plays well
    4) let's start polish.. add dialog... add menus...
    4) OMG, I'll need to implement my own GUI system!! damn!!
    and that is the time I start having seconds thoughts... maybe it's better to port this to another engine... I start using other engines (Godot/Unity) that are just so overwhelming just for the sake of GUI. So my question is, will we get a taste of GUI a system in the GMS2 IDE in the future? How far down the road is it?

Suszik-Stumpy and Kezarus like this.
  2. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

The problem is that what you see as a GUI system may be entirely different from my idea.

RPG Maker has a GUI system. And every single game made in that engine looks 'samey'. The same thing would happen to games made with GMS if such a system were put into place.

I personally think that the GUI is the easiest part to code, so it doesn't really worry me that there isn't a complete system already in place.

Nocturne and nacho_chicken like this.
  3. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

RPG Maker is exactly what I think of when this comes to mind. Every. Single. Game. The title screen looks exactly the same.
    [​IMG]

Lonewolff likes this.
  4. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

A GUI system is something like the Unity GUI / Godot GUI system / WindowsForms GUI System / MonoGUI System... You have containers, you have buttons you have, text boxes, labels... you can parent those ones inside others and drag&drop those to make your GUI.. that's what a GUI system is.. the RPG Maker one is a very limited and very focused one.

Wigfrid likes this.
  5. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

Okay then.. how easy do you think it would be to do something like this:
    [​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

6. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Not that hard really.

Take away the flashy graphics and there is not that much too it. Remember GMS doesn't give you the graphics. RPG Maker does and it gives the same pitfalls of being instantly recognisable.

More examples of the pitfalls of a pre-baked system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

Not sure you understood.. do you know what I'm talking about? Do you know Mono GUI.. for example?
    https://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/

It is completely different from what you are posting here... and it supports themes.. so you can change every element appearance.. it has ItemLists, Grids, SlideBars, NumUpDown, TextBox, Labels, Vertical and Horizontal SplitContainers...

Kezarus likes this.
  8. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

Kezarus and Lonewolff like this.
  9. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

10. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

I'm aware of all the systems there might be... and I already owe half of them. My question still stands for the ones responsible for the development of the GMS2.. For when is it planned a builtin GUI system for GMS2.. with it's own IDE editor and stuff? :D

11. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Best that you fire off a support ticket to YYG then, as this is a community forum and we can't speak on the developers behalf.

xDGameStudios likes this.
  12. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

Well... someone on the team responsible could read this and give a hint if something like this is even planned (it has happened before here in the forums) it is a technical support after all. People ask about bugs here, how payment works... compiling errors... someone has to read this.. is not the community that is fixing the bugs :)

but will do that

Kezarus likes this.
  13. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

YYG won't fix the bugs unless they are reported through the correct channels. They don't scour the forums looking for things to fix.

14. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

Yes, we ask here and for all of those things - if they are accounts, payments, and bugs in the IDE (not compile errors as those are people making their own code mistakes) the response is always to raise it with YYG support as the community cannot fix issues with accounts or with things in the IDE or runtime. So best bet is to raise it through the proper bug channels and put it as a suggestion.
    There is no guarantee that anyone from YYG will be reading the community forums on the off chance that someone posts something about a feature that they want.

15. breakmt

breakmt Member

Lack of GUI editor is GameMaker problem and disadvantage in engines competition. For simple games and games without much GUI it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise it could be reason which will lead developers to choose another engine.
    PS: examples with RPG maker are not correct at all, system in Unity/Godot is much more complicated than premade menus
    PPS: I don't think that it will be implemented in the next 2 years

Wigfrid likes this.
  16. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

I stand corrected. All RPG Maker games are very unique looking.

17. immortalx

immortalx Member

I started using ImGuiGML the other day and is absolutely awesome. It's a wrapper for the popular Dear ImGui framework that is mostly used for game-tools, but there's nothing stopping you using it for a game's GUI.

IndianaBones likes this.
  18. breakmt

breakmt Member

Probably not... but who cares about RPG maker games UI? TS asked about GUI system like in Unity/Godot

19. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

That's the thing. RPG Maker is extremely customisable. People tend to take the easiest path though. People will follow the tutorials and (assuming GM had a GUI editor) it will look samey.

Gamemaker games already look very samey for the most part.

20. JeffJ

JeffJ Member

That has absolutely nothing to do with the suggestion at all, and everything to do with how lazy users will utilize it, and is really not an argument against it.

For the record, I agree that RPG Maker or similar is a poor example. Obviously a premade GUI framework will never be able to cater to every need, but there are so many GUI elements that are just so incredibly standard now, even in games, that it would cover a huge amount of the most frequently used cases. A standard framework out of the box could cover such GUI elements as
    • Buttons
    • Radiobutton groups
    • Checkboxes
    • Sliders
    • Parent window wrappers
    - Just to name a few. They could allow for easy skinning / coloring, with some sprite input or something like that to allow for custom looks, and obviously scaling up/down. In this way, users could have all the most regularly used GUI component needs covered, without sacrificing too much aesthetic control.

There is definitely something to be said for the usefulness and value of a solid and flexible GUI framework included out of the box.

21. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Yeah, my first task in the next coming project is to make a framework for simple things like panels, buttons, sliders, etc.

If GM have this it would be great. And I don't really think it's too much to ask...

xDGameStudios likes this.