• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM when will the gms 1.4 marketplace assets die?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

yoyogames announced when support for gms 1.4 will be dropped. will gms 1.4 assets die at the same or a later date?

as in 1) when you will no longer be able to publish 1.4 assets and 2) when existing 1.4 assets will be removed from the store for not working in 2.x.

Will there be the option to refund if the assets you bought were removed from the store due to these changes?

would really like to know, thanks.

acidemic

I don't think that would happen as many of assets made for 1.x can be easily converted for 2.x, if you know GML but they don't exist in the 2.x format as many of their developers already dropped their support. So they are some kind of "unique" assets. Hope they will leave there "forever".

Some 1.x assets can be used in 2.x even without any changes in the code. You can even manually unpack them and add to your 2.x project by copy-pasting the code as they are in the 7-Zip format just different extension (.gmz, .gmez, .gmx) which you can rename to .7z and extract.

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yeah by assets I meant mainly extensions and due to how much worse GMS 2 interacts with external libraries it practically kills most extensions that worked in 1.4, causing them to crash in 2.x, which is due to bugs with the extension system that are only present in 2.x, and there are no workarounds to prevent these crashes from what I can tell, other than just dealing with the fact a lot of extensions that should by all rights still work, just won't work anymore, for no apparent reason. :(

TL;DR the ability to call external libraries (DLL's/DYLIB's/SO's etc.) is much more of a broken feature in 2.x than 1.4. YoYoGames broke a lot of extensions with no workarounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

klys

I hope this really donst happen since Game Maker Studio 1 will continue been using by many users around the world, so stoping supporting it is totally stupid.

RangerX

I for one if someone who will not change to GMS2 until its absolutely necessary. I mean, you can't expect users to change products all the time and that's why some engines out there exists since decades with only "updates". (Hammer, Unreal, Unity, etc)

S

SSJCoder

I mean, you can't expect users to change products all the time and that's why some engines out there exists since decades with only "updates". (Hammer, Unreal, Unity, etc)
Can one build a castle on sand? does GM:Studio have a foundation?

RangerX

It think it was necessary to go from GM8 to GMS. It was a needed rebuilding of the whole thing, a true new generation. Now what happened with GMS2 doesn't feel the same. The company changed and its like felt a new rebuilding was necessary but am not sure. I mean, what has been so wrong about GMS that couldn't be updated? And now did they future proof their game this type of we'll be changing to GMS3 in 1 or 2 years again?

Anyhow, this is a whole story for another topic. We are side-stepping here.

S

SSJCoder

"It think it was necessary to go from GM8 to GMS"

I don't necessarily agree with GM8, neither do I think there are many alternatives to GM:Studio.

"Now what happened with GMS2 doesn't feel the same. The company changed and its like felt a new rebuilding was necessary but am not sure."
As far as I can see, the reason they keep making new versions:

[1]. It's a business, businesses are here to make money
[2]. If the foundation isn't there, you can't build on it for long before start to break, or it isn't able to hold the load, and you'll need a new foundation
[3]. Too many changes, again, this has to do with foundation, if your vision isn't there from the start, you will be all over the place

I'm not providing a solution, I'm just merely pointing out the obvious, that GM:Studio is hard to maintain. Hence the new versions and whatnot.