GameMaker When to use physics?

G

Gronbal

Hey!
So I started creating my 2d top down RPG style pixel art game by following a tutorial on youtube. In this tutorial the creator set the physics option for the game to be true. But after finishing the tutorial, and spending quite a lot more time creating my own elements/assets for the game, I wonder if enabling physics was the right choice to begin with. My game isn't relying on the physics engine, and most of the time I find, that I would be able to code the same elements of my game with or without the physic attributes.

So my questions are:
Should I keep physics in my game, or should I remove it now?
What is the pros and cons of the physics engine in a top down RPG style game?
Does the physics engine require more computer power to run, and thereby slowing down my game?

I am greatful for any advise :)

Regards Gronbal.

W

warbo

If you think you can do the same without physics then do it, but does the game you are making need physics as a feature? Are you going to be moving things around with the player or other objects etc?

Physics can make games look nice and feel intractable but i also do believe that having many objects with physics enabled can put a heavy load on the CPU.

I have just started to mess around with physics and its is also a TDS so i will know for myself if the effects will be costly in the long run xD

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If that tutorial happens to be HeartBeast's RPG tutorial, no. It's definitely not the right choice, and you saw for yourself why. I am so tired of cleaning up after rookies following his advice that I have an entire article dedicated to when NOT to use the physics system.

G

Gronbal

If that tutorial happens to be HeartBeast's RPG tutorial, no. It's definitely not the right choice, and you saw for yourself why. I am so tired of cleaning up after rookies following his advice that I have an entire article dedicated to when NOT to use the physics system.
Thats the one :p I think the tutorial is good, but I can see that adding physics might have been a wrong choice from his side.
Thanks for the help!