• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

When should i publish my Game?

Neraxa

Hey there!

I have currently worked on a dungeon-crawler project for some years now. Its not done though, since it consists of 3 zones/areas, and I have only made one and a half zone. Development is getting pretty slow and I could really use a kick of motivation to keep going at a decent pase.
So i wanted to ask, is it smart to publish a free version of the game where you can only play in the 1. zone? It takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. Its a rouge-like, so you will (hopefully) die a bit before making it to the first boss.

I think growing a small community of testers could be very motivational since the only testers I have had so far are friends and family.

What do you think? Because im all lost here haha

• Wow
Reactions: Mut

pixeltroid

So i wanted to ask, is it smart to publish a free version of the game where you can only play in the 1. zone? It takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. Its a rouge-like, so you will (hopefully) die a bit before making it to the first boss.
Absolutely. You should release a small demo. If what you have right now takes 20 minutes to complete, it's perfect for a demo that you can release on itch.io.

Releasing a Demo has many benefits:

1. You can learn a lot about game marketing and what it takes to get your game seen.
2. Get feedback from players.
3. Establish awareness that your game exists.
4. Maybe even gain some fans.

Then you can fine tune your game and release the full version on steam.

Neraxa

aah awesome! Thank you so much for the quick reply! I will definently make a demo of it as soon as possible :D