• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE When opening in debug mode, my game sends me into the 2nd room, when opening normally, it sends me to the 1st room

b-wb

Hey all

This is a really weird one! I'm new to using the debugger in GMS2 so perhaps this is something that others understand and can explain to me.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.57.50 PM.png

My game starts in an initialization room where it loads everything. As you can see here, the room order shows the tutorial room second.

But for some reason... when I open my game in debug mode and ONLY in debug mode, after initialization it jumps me straight to "rm_spaceBattle2"

Interestingly, it's clearly visiting the tutorial room for a split second-- because some variables which are set by an object unique to that room are... well set.

Huh... just did some testing and discovered it seems to relate to the event "async save/load" which runs from an object created in my very first room, rm_initialization-- that object is persistent and after save/load happens it runs "room_goto_next". If I change that to "room_goto(rm_tutorial)", I don't have a problem, but I am still curious about this behaviour. Why does running the game in debug mode made save/load happen twice?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That sounds like a bug... The behaviour should be the same whether in debug mode or not. Please file a bug report and include a link to the project for the devs to look at. Thanks!

b-wb

That sounds like a bug... The behaviour should be the same whether in debug mode or not. Please file a bug report and include a link to the project for the devs to look at. Thanks!
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do just that.