• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion When is 2.1.4 going to be released? (Mac OSX IAP fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ggd07

The answer to your question is simple. I work on GameMaker since 2004, when Markus Overmars was in charge of it. You are eager to learn why if I had bad experience with GMS1, I would purchase GMS2.

I am now getting paid to do a good job on GMS. Money is needed not only for the GameMaker license but for resources: art, sounds and etc etc. We are a team that work on project, one of which we want to commercially release.

I have the GameMaker Studio 1 Master Edition. The problems I had with GMS1 were exactly the same as the OPs at the moment. I always had troubles releasing content on iOS and using IAP features as well as advertising. I had content on iOS being removed/rejected because of the way it was built. I had SOO much IDE problems, I had to wait months for a simple update from these people so that I can even begin to experiment running a game on Apple. And to compare with Unity and Unreal, from what I've read, they always provide updates in these situations.

They advertise GMS2 as rewritten from scratch - not having the same IDE issues, and being regularly supported. They even announced they are dropping GMS1 support in June or July (I dont remember), which means that if you have GMS1 products on Android or iOS, they will be rejected soon, and you will just be left out with a "Buy GMS2 or go away" - why isn't anyone saying anything about that?

GMS2 not only is broken to an extend, but also lacks features from the previous IDE. Yeah yeah sure, you can definitely drag and drop all day long and waste time to do something so simple as to position a sprite or an object or a group of those in your resource tree, because someone in YoYoGames was incompetent enough to test dragging and dropping resources.

I do not think like you, though. I don't think that if you buy something, and it sucks, the next version of it will be 100% awful. I think that people can learn from their mistakes and can fix them and make it all better - of course, if they want to.

I guess I was wrong about the YoYoGames people though.. it seems, was I?

Let's say the Xmas excuse you gave for them is true. Its now almost April. Now its going to be easter.. Then it is going to be another Holiday, and another Holiday. We can use excuses for Holidays all the time. So when do we get updates? Summer? But summer they are going to have a summer vacation - then I suppose they will need rest from the summer vacation? Alrighty..

I don't understand why YoYoGames do not start updating their software and fixing CRITICAL bugs such as these WEEKLY. Even MONTHLY is better than every half a year or every year.

Before December, they had updates in October 2017 and in August 2017, which was fine. Why did that stop? Ohhh.. that's right, you said christmas.. which was 3 months ago.

You are going to make me lurk the Legacy Forums for posts/replies that were most likely moderated, deleted and wiped, so that I can show you that I am not overreacting. You have no reason to believe me YoYoStaff was rude to customers, but over the years I have seen these things happen in this forum. People asking technical, marketing, or any other questions related directly to the company, and they got shut down immediately, whether they received warnings/bans, got their posts removed or being told they are wrong and that this and this should be like this. Of course they are also YoYo customers that defend them all the way up.

I remember a couple of weeks ago I searched Google for a way to make GMS2 be organized like GMS1. Resources on the left, and other windows on the right. I remember the thread I read, some moderator or staff member just shut down the guy by saying he is wrong to want that and that they want to keep going forward not backwards, and that is never going to happen - instead he could've just explained how he can make it look more like GMS1 by customizing the IDE Layout. I found that to be very rude. Unfortunately I cannot find the thread now but I will try. It is just clear to me that they do not want to help but want to push their agenda on People - and that is what I despise in addition to the other things that render your project, time, money and work useless.

By the way, you asked me in your last post if I report issues I find to YoYoGames. I did try to do so in the past and there was no result at all. I also think that testing things related to any Software is not up for the user, but is up to the developer of said software. You can't ask so much money for something, just to have it broken and then be expected to do work for them by reporting bugs and crashes that are not going to be even fixed after reported.

They should hire Quality Assurance people to deal with this, not ask us to do this for them. This service is actually paid. Companies have Q&A departments, but I am sure you are very aware of that.

With that said, I would try to report anything in the future, but I still believe it won't be noticed nor fixed. You said it yourself, the resource tree bug is well known, why is it not fixed then for THREE WHOLE MONTHS - oh yeah Xmas- forgot.

Cheers man. I hope these things get patched, and GMS2 starts being the product they advertise it to be - with regular monthly/weekly updates, however at this point, I lost that hope. And no, I am not sorry I bought GMS2, I am sorry GMS2 is handled in such a poor manner, and if continues to be handled the way GMS1 was handled, well, you know. You and I and everyone that devoted time from his live to this software is going to suffer, and all of this because someone at a company is incompetent :)

rIKmAN

The Xmas thing isn't an excuse - most companies take 2 weeks off over Xmas, no need to take it to the extreme with Easter holidays and Summer holidays etc. :D
Also GDC is real, and YYG staff are there so again it's not an excuse.

Believe me I understand your frustration and there have been a lot of conversations about sunsetting 1.4 (search the forum), and also a lot of notice that it was going to happen.
Companies need to make money to survive, and progress stops for nothing - things need to move on and evolve, as rocky as that path may be at the start.

GMS 1.x is what - 8-10yrs old now or there about?
That's a pretty good shelf life for development software considering all the various exports it supports and features contained within the engine, it's not like it lasted 2yrs and they took it to the bike sheds to put a bullet through it's head.

They are even going to release a final update for 1.4 before the sunset to try prolong it's life as long as possible, which they don't really have to do and more than likely wouldn't if you claims are true of them not caring, trying a cash grab, being arrogant etc etc.

As a dev you know how tricky it can be finding bugs, fixing issues with your code - and that's using GMS.
Now imagine you are working on the engine which has to support Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, HTML5, UWP, XB1, PS4 and now Switch all using various different languages.
Then make sure you are doing that for both engines: 1.4 and 2.x, which have different codebases.

Is it not reasonable to think that there are going to be bugs and they things are stretched in terms of manpower?
You just have to give the situation some context.

My own personal opinion is that I can't wait for 1.4 to be sunsetted, because it will free up a whole load of manpower and resources to be directed at improving and updating GMS2 more frequently, rather than band aiding an old creaking 1.4 anymore.

I'm going to see how things are at the end of the year, 6mths after sunset etc and see how the the development of GMS2 is coming along then.
If it's no better and affecting me personally then I would have to start looking at other engines, there would be no other choice.

Bugs and issues slip through in any software, just look at Windows - it's updated all the time to fix things.
The difference is that MS have hundreds if not thousands of employees which mean they can release weekly/monthly patches and updates much the same way that Unity and Unreal can simply because of the size of their staff and companies.

I have been critical of QA myself in the past, and I do agree that some of the things that get through QA really shouldn't even with basic testing, so I am not going to defend that, but to use the word incompetent is pretty harsh. I would say most if not all of the programmers on the YYG team are better coders and more knowledgeable than you, me and 99% of the users on the forum will ever be. As I said - things slip through.

You should ALWAYS report bugs, even small ones.
There was a post recently where some font bug was moaned about for 4yrs because it was never reported, once it was reported it was fixed in the next update.
I regularly report documentation errors, because if they aren't reported how will anyone ever know they exist?

No need to drag up legacy forum threads, you feel how you feel - my point was that ranting in the way you were isn't the best way to go about things.
The only thing I can think of that I dislike regarding the attitudes of staff on here is when we are told it's an "unofficial" forum, but the staff are allowed to close and lock threads that they don't like for whatever reason. It should be either official, or not - not some hybrid middle ground.

At the end of the day though we should be grateful that YYG staff make posts and reply to users on here.
They don't have to, and often are doing it in their own time outside of work, so whether you agree with what they are saying or not you have to respect the fact they take to time to interact with users in that way.

If you are having problems that are really affecting your revenues, get in touch with YYG directly, they may be able to help you.
Try Tweeting them, the support account or one of the staff members to try and get eyes on your bug report or an issue on Mantis as a priority without having to wait for the email / ticket support staff to get back to you. What's to lose?

If the IAP has been broken for 6mths on Mac then that is pretty unacceptable and should be a priority.
Is it on Mantis and do you have a Bug Report number?

C

Cappa Games

@Ggd07 " By the way, you asked me in your last post if I report issues I find to YoYoGames. I did try to do so in the past and there was no result at all. I also think that testing things related to any Software is not up for the user, but is up to the developer of said software. You can't ask so much money for something, just to have it broken and then be expected to do work for them by reporting bugs and crashes that are not going to be even fixed after reported. "

@rIKmAN " Bugs and issues slip through in any software, just look at Windows - it's updated all the time to fix things.
The difference is that MS have hundreds if not thousands of employees which mean they can release weekly/monthly patches and updates much the same way that Unity and Unreal can simply because of the size of their staff and companies."

Now let me show you a quote from rwkay in my original forum post about this.

"We have not had an IAP project on Mac for some time so there may be issues - please file a bug if you find issues"

Sounds like they don't take the Mac Platform very seriously. If you look at my original post there's even more problems with Mac than just IAP.

They did the same thing with the Tizen plaform, which of course is now removed from GMS2. There was an error that made it impossible for me to publish games and to be honest, I don't know if it was ever fixed. Post is here.

I had an app that was number 1 overall on the Windows Phone and Windows 8 app store. There was a bug using the ads for the Windows 8 version in which it froze the screen, resulting in negative reviews, which resulted in my app falling off the charts. I was ignored. Cost me thousands of dollars and a relationship with Microsoft (They came to me after the games success). I had a post about it, but can't find it on the legacy forums.

I had problems with UWP at the same time I was having problems with Mac IAP. I'll give rwkay and Mike credit, they did try to help me, but when nothing worked, I had to file a bug and of course, no help on that either. Luckily I had a Windows Phone and exporting and testing worked for me that way.

So as you can see, this isn't the first time this thing has happened and I feel like I've been patient enough and have every right to be pissed now. I stuck with GMS1 all these years thinking "All the bugs will finally be worked out and we won't have these type of problems anymore". But it was a mirage in the distance that we never seem to get to. GMS2 is here and the same problems are happening. I'm sick of it. Game Maker needs to fix these thing or I have no choice, but to move on to Unity. How am I expected to invest years of time into a game and thousands of dollars in Art, Marketing, etc. just to be stopped in my tracks by these bugs that make it IMPOSSIBLE to move forward until THEY fix it! It's hard enough being an indie. It's takes enough courage to even try to be successful as an indie and being held back by things that are out of my control isn't healthy for an indie games morale. This is absolutely unacceptable!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, topic closed. Things are going way off topic here and I don't think that a lot of what's being said is particularly helpful or objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.