• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion When is 2.1.4 going to be released? (Mac OSX IAP fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cappa Games

When is 2.1.4 coming out? I was told after submitting a bug report in September that IAP in Mac OSX would be fixed in this version. Has it already been fixed or do I need to wait for this version? I've been dealing with this problem for nearly 6 months. The games complete and I can't do anything until this is fixed. Please give me an update. I'm literally learning Unity out of necessity because I've been put into a position where I'm helpless. I've spent years learning Game Maker so I'd prefer to stick with it, but I'm really being forced here. Please give me an update on this.

F

FormalCloud

Last update was December, you can find the release notes here.
Next update doesn't have a release date yet but can be expected soon.

Since your're asking if it's been fixed already - have you tried to see if it's been fixed? Can you link to the bug in the tracker?

G

greenystone

Please first check your issue status on bugs tracker (if you have reported it by the official way): https://bugs.yoyogames.com/main_page.php

Also please note that filling bug doesn’t mean it will be solved in next release. Some may take some time or has lower priority. Better to contact yoyo staff directly.

Z

Zeralith

I think the last update was 93 days ago, which is the longest period of time we've had to wait for an update to happen, since the release of the product.

I'm sure they're working as hard as humanly possible to get us a super good, stable, and bug-free as possible product.

Maybe their QA Team is just doing too good of a job for 2.1.4 :)

rIKmAN

While I'm as frustrated as the next guy waiting for an update, I'd much rather they take a little longer and bring out a solid release than get it out ASAP and it have bugs in there that shouldn't have made it through QA.

Yes, I'm looking at you resource tree bug... (I wish they had hotfixed this!)

H

HW.

And.............., don't forget

game_end() on Android!

https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=28925

In the meantime i will sing a song :oops:

2.1.4 game_end... Android yooo... ♪
yoo.. Android game_end Android.. ♪♪
yooo.. tobe.. included onnnn...♬
G..M...S... two.. one.. four... ♬

yoooo.. my users can exit too.. ♩
no trap... ☠ inside a lil game yoo.. ♩
all happy tralalalala... ♬

REFF:
2.1.4 game_end... Android yooo... ♪♬
2.1.4 game_end... Android yooo... ♪♬

auoooo.. all happy tralalalala... ♬
woooo....yihaaaa ♩♪♬ :rolleyes:

G

@HW. I'm trying to think of an app that has an exit button and coming up blank. What motivated you to have an exit option in Android?

H

HW.

@HW. I'm trying to think of an app that has an exit button and coming up blank. What motivated you to have an exit option in Android?
From what i know almost 95% of mobile games by Top AAA devs and also indies on Android, when pressing physical "back" button on device, it will let the users exit the app (or at least send it to the background). Not be trapped inside.

This is NOT about "an GUI button that appears on the screen". No, i never have a gui button for that function.

I set the function on backspace key press which is equivalent of tapping "Back" physical button on android device. If it is now (since 1788) ignored, so how do the players go back to homescreen by tapping the "back" button to get out?

More details are on bugs report link regarding what the problem is.

C

Cappa Games

While I'm as frustrated as the next guy waiting for an update, I'd much rather they take a little longer and bring out a solid release than get it out ASAP and it have bugs in there that shouldn't have made it through QA.

Yes, I'm looking at you resource tree bug... (I wish they had hotfixed this!)
I agree they should make sure the release is solid, but I've been waiting nearly 6 months for a solution to IAP. Like, how are you supposed to run a business like that? I'm helpless.

rIKmAN

I agree they should make sure the release is solid, but I've been waiting nearly 6 months for a solution to IAP. Like, how are you supposed to run a business like that? I'm helpless.
Did it used to work, or has it never worked?
No chance of going back to and older release in the meantime?

C

Cappa Games

Did it used to work, or has it never worked?
No chance of going back to and older release in the meantime?
This is the first time I tried doing IAP for Mac, but the code I used worked on Android...thats the other thing that bothers me though, the documentation is lacking...wish they had more info on doing things with the mac

Stuff like this makes me want to roll my own engine, or at least use an engine that's open source. Being screwed like this because of bugs that are completely out of your control sucks. ):

OSX IAP being broken sounds like a HUGE problem for an engine that's supposed to support multiple platforms, too. Being stuck for six months because of this sounds insane. Pretty worrying when I'm planning on using GM for console releases. Blah.

Edit: The bug is marked as fixed/resolved, with the person who was assigned to it saying they *think* it's fixed, like four months ago. Might want to resubmit that bug or something, @Cappa Games.

Last edited:

Ruimm

What is the problem with IAPs? I've been testing a mobile game for some months now and never had an issue with IAPs. The game is not yet released but I tried with a couple test accounts and everything seemed to work

Ednei

I wonder if the creation of the MAC version of GM2 would not be delaying also the updates of the PC version of GM2.

In my view with the existence of GM2 for two different platforms at least doubled the number of existing bugs that the yoyogames team needs to correct. Right?

But has the yoyogames team been upgraded to keep up with this demand?

Also, it is natural that yoyogames want to release at the same time the same versions for the different platforms, do you agree?

Therefore, if the team is busy fixing many bugs of the MAC version, users of the PC version will have to wait for the release of both platforms, even if the PC version is already ready.

It seems to me that it was not a good move to create the Mac version.

What do you think?

I personally am very grateful for a Mac version. It means not having to setup a connection between a PC and a Mac to build the final app among other things. Makes life a lot easier.

While there may be an increase in the number of bugs, I can't imagine they would have doubled, as quite a few bugs would be common to the runtime being used. Only IDE / Interface bugs would possibly be different between the Mac/PC versions.

But definitely there are/have been a number of Mac specific bugs that obviously increases the total number of bugs to be solved.

So while from my perspective I still think it was a good move to have a Mac version, it is reasonable to assume an increased number of bugs and time to resolve said bugs before releasing a new version, due to additional Q and A.

Therefore you are quite possibly correct. Assuming their team size remained the same, it would take longer to resolve the bugs across both platforms.

Ultimately it would have/should have boiled down to a business decision. YoYo Games would have evaluated the benefits/costs of an increased userbase and increased revenue versus increased time/costs of creating a Mac version, and that would have driven the decision to create it.

However, this can all only be speculation on my part.

@Cappa Games Best thing to do might be to keep prodding the helpdesk / bug report system every couple of weeks if the problem is still persisting for such a long time. Or also contacting @Ruimm who seems to be having no issues with IAP and find out what they're doing to make it work.

C

Cappa Games

What is the problem with IAPs? I've been testing a mobile game for some months now and never had an issue with IAPs. The game is not yet released but I tried with a couple test accounts and everything seemed to work
I have a problem specifically with the Mac App Store IAP. Do you have Mac IAP working?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruimm

I have a problem specifically with the Mac App Store IAP. Do you have Mac IAP working?
sorry, my game is mobile only. I thought you meant IAPs for iOS. (I know it says in the title its for Mac OSX, I just thought you meant the Mac version of GM)

Dog Slobber

I wonder if the creation of the MAC version of GM2 would not be delaying also the updates of the PC version of GM2.

In my view with the existence of GM2 for two different platforms at least doubled the number of existing bugs that the yoyogames team needs to correct. Right?

But has the yoyogames team been upgraded to keep up with this demand?

Also, it is natural that yoyogames want to release at the same time the same versions for the different platforms, do you agree?

Therefore, if the team is busy fixing many bugs of the MAC version, users of the PC version will have to wait for the release of both platforms, even if the PC version is already ready.

What do you think?
I think you're completely speculating on how many bugs are Mac based and drawing conclusions based on pure speculation.

Glancing through the Mantis Bug Database and Release Note doesn't support your claim.

But for the sake of argument lets assume your claim has merrit. Then it should also be true that:
  • The Linux runner has increased the number of bugs and therefore the update delay time. Let's dump it.
  • The HTML5 runner has increased the bugs and update delay. Dump it.
  • The iOS, Android and Fire runners has increased the bugs and update delay. Dump them.
  • UWP, X-Box, PS4 and Switch consoles have increased the bugs and update delay. Dump them.
  • YYC has increased the bugs and increased the bugs and update delay. Dump it.
Welcome to GameMaker 8.2.

Last edited:

Mick

I think you're completely speculating on how many bugs are Mac based and drawing conclusions based on pure speculation.

Glancing through the Mantis Bug Database and Release Note doesn't support your claim.

But for the sake of argument lets assume your claim has merrit. Then it should also be true that:
  • The Linux runner has increased the number of bugs and therefore the update delay time. Let's dump it.
  • The iOS, Android and Fire runners has increased the bugs and update delay. Dump them.
  • UWP, X-Box, PS4 and Switch consoles have increased the bugs and update delay. Dump them.
@Ednei is, as I understand, talking about the Mac version if the IDE, not the runner. The Mac version didn't probably double the number of bugs, but it certainly increased the scope for the product, there's nowhere around that.

Ednei

You are right. It's pure speculation. I'm sorry if you eventually felt offended by my conclusions.

However I am speculating from the point of view of a person who owns a PC and a Mac, who has spent considerable money by purchasing a GMS Master Collection, upgraded to GM2 and is trying to make a game using the Android and IOS module.

I did not get a chance to try Game Maker 8, but I do not remember seeing so many people complaining about the instability of this version.

Yes, it seemed to me that it was not a good move for Yoyogames to release a version for MAC even with the existence of a PC version as unstable as the current one (IDE v2.1.3.273 Runtime v2.1.3 189).

Personally, I would find it more practical to resolve most of the bugs in the PC version and all of its modules, and then invest in the MAC version.

Of course I exaggerated in stating that it doubled the amount of bugs for the yoyogames team to resolve.

But do you agree that it has increased the wait time for new updates and bug fixes?

Oops, sorry, I speculated again ......

Ednei

@Ednei is, as I understand, talking about the Mac version if the IDE, not the runner. The Mac version didn't probably double the number of bugs, but it certainly increased the scope for the product, there's nowhere around that.
I certainly exaggerated my conclusions. I understand that first of all Yoyogames is a business enterprise and has to generate profit.

Personally, I hope to be successful, because we can certainly count on a more motivated team of developers and consequently we will have a better product.

I have identified a lot with Game Maker and hope the software has a long life. But I confess that lately I am worried about the future of GM2.

In my country (Brazil), for example, I am not noticing an increase in interest in the tool. I do not know if the cause would be the price of the license or the GML learning curve that would be hampering the popularization of the tool. Perhaps the lack of translation of the IDE into my native language (Portuguese) is a factor.

Creating a version for MAC may be a good strategy to increase the scope of the product. But presenting a solid and stable version of the tool is a better strategy yet.

I really want Yoyogames to succeed in this endeavor.

Dog Slobber

You are right. It's pure speculation. I'm sorry if you eventually felt offended by my conclusions.
Why are you suggesting I'm offended?

I merely pointed out the problem of drawing conclusions based on speculation, argumentum ad speculum.

I did not get a chance to try Game Maker 8, but I do not remember seeing so many people complaining about the instability of this version.
[Sigh] - Thus my analogy.

Pre-Studio versions were not nerely as complex. Of course there were a lot less bugs. And yes, there were complaints about bugs as well as complaints about wanting to port to other platforms. In fact YYGs wasted a tremendous amount of resources creating "Play Now" an active-X control where games could be played on the web.

Yes, it seemed to me that it was not a good move for Yoyogames to release a version for MAC even with the existence of a PC version as unstable as the current one (IDE v2.1.3.273 Runtime v2.1.3 189).

Personally, I would find it more practical to resolve most of the bugs in the PC version and all of its modules, and then invest in the MAC version.
Sounds to me like what you want is for YYGs to devote resources solely to the platforms that are important to you without concern for needs of others.

Of course I exaggerated in stating that it doubled the amount of bugs for the yoyogames team to resolve.

But do you agree that it has increased the wait time for new updates and bug fixes?
I have no idea if and how much the Mac IDE is responsible for delays. But, like I said in my previous post, judging from the Mantis and Release notes it doesn't seem to be much more than other of the complex features.

I also have no idea how much resources YYGs has devoted to Mac IDE development, nor do I know the costs of those resurces relative to the financial benefits.

Neither do you.

Ednei

Sounds to me like what you want is for YYGs to devote resources solely to the platforms that are important to you without concern for needs of others.
As I mentioned in my previous post I own PC and MAC. I believe that many GM2 users working with mobile modules (Android and IOS) also have this profile.

By no means am I trying to disqualify MAC users. I just expressed my opinion on the subject.

It is sad that someone who does not personally know me personally label me as a selfish person when in fact I want to be offered a 100% functional and stable tool.

What's the use of offering new platform options and new features if the current platform does not work properly?

But each person interprets in the way that suits him.

This discussion does not seem to me to be useful, so I'll stop here.

Thank you.

All you've done is put the responsbility of delayed updates on the Mac IDE.
Macs are twelve percent of the marketshare. I think it's safe to assume that game devs are more likely to have a PC than the average person, since a lot of tools are PC only (including GM until recently). I think "why are over 90% (99.9%? how many game devs really can't access a PC?) of us waiting on bugs for an IDE almost nobody needs?" is a fair question, no matter how much you dislike it. :p

Dog Slobber

Macs are twelve percent of the marketshare. I think it's safe to assume that game devs are more likely to have a PC than the average person, since a lot of tools are PC only (including GM until recently). I think "why are over 90% (99.9%? how many game devs really can't access a PC?) of us waiting on bugs for an IDE almost nobody needs?" is a fair question, no matter how much you dislike it. :p
Given that you, nor Ednei have not demonstrated that we are waiting on bugs for the Mac IDE, then no, it's not a fair question.

But please, go ahead share with us your data, the bugs, and how long the Mac IDE has slowed down releases.

Given that you, nor Ednei have not demonstrated that we are waiting on bugs for the Mac IDE, then no, it's not a fair question.

But please, go ahead share with us your data, the bugs, and how long the Mac IDE has slowed down releases.
Like you said, we were assuming his idea had merit for the sake of the argument. I'm addressing your "you're so selfishhhh!" spiel, not arguing whether or not the Mac IDE actually holds anything up for the rest of us. ;)

Dog Slobber

Like you said, we were assuming his idea had merit for the sake of the argument. I'm addressing your "you're so selfishhhh!" spiel, not arguing whether or not the Mac IDE actually holds anything up for the rest of us. ;)
So you're addressing my "you're so selfishhhhh" spiel, by quoting a line from a completely different post, while claiming the context of an analogy made in a third post.

Are you serious?

Assumptions about when releases are coming out and why they're delayed, based on speculation is silly.

Last edited:

Ednei

Well, I just made my point about it.

I have no interest in proving that my theory is right, as foolish as it may seem. But I'd like to make sure I'm completely wrong.

It does not make sense for me to continue discussing this subject without the manifestation of someone from the yoyogames development team.

So folks, let's relax.;)

rIKmAN

I think whilst it's fair to say that the Mac IDE must add some extra work to the list, I definitely don't think it's the sole cause of delayed GMS2 updates.

Nobody seems to have thought about the bigger picture here and what work might actually be being done inside YYG.

1) 1.4 sunsetting, which means a big final push to clear as many bugs as possible, update all the exports so they are working (iOS, Android, consoles etc) and I believe there is going to be a big final update for it before the sunset date to try and leave it in the best possible condition for all those users who still want to use it (until it dies).

2) Nintendo Switch Export - this has obviously taken a long time to be announced, but it hasn't happened overnight and they've held onto the news - it's taken work behind the scenes, work that takes manpower from pure GMS2 coding time. There will be people working now on this export so it's ready for summer.

3) GMS2 features from the roadmap - these don't come out of thin air either, and all take time and manpower to implement, that's before we talk about QA.

4) GMS2 features we don't even know about, such as the recent Facebook Instant Games extension and support which came out of nowhere and is a nice surprise (even if it is missing monetisation support at the moment)

5) A fair few of YYG are at GDC this week, and before that we had a Xmas break.

I'm not going to on, but there are are a myriad of reasons as to why GMS2 updates might have slowed down, and I feel the Mac IDE whilst probably contributing is almost certainly not the major reason for it.

Mike says pretty much the same thing as I've just said in this post.

Last edited:

Ruimm

also let me add that the Mac version seems necessary for an engine that exports to Mac OS and iOS. Having to work on Windows and then needing an extra computer just so you could export to those platforms was not a good workflow. I love having the Mac version and probably would not be using GM as much as I do if it wasn't for it

C

Cappa Games

I think you guys are missing the point. These things like IAP not working and there being no documentation on GMS2 are things that should have been completed 2 years ago! I paid a lot of money upfront for Game Maker so I wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing, I wanted things to be EASIER. Then I look at Unity and it's FREE! And there's so many tutorials, ebooks, etc...and then you look at GMS2 and it lacks BASIC documentation. And then they got rid of the legacy forums filled with so much knowledge, and on top of that, they splintered the market by dividing the product into GMS1 and GMS2. So good luck finding information specifically on GMS2. Like, the whole point of Game Maker is it's supposed to be easier to use, but now it's IMPOSSIBLE to use!

These things like IAP not working and there being no documentation on GMS2 are things that should have been completed 2 years ago!
If you have a problem with any of the documentation then raise it with Nocturne - he deals with everything in the manual. Did you also raise the incorrect documentation as a bug report?

and then you look at GMS2 and it lacks BASIC documentation.
Again, raise it with Nocturne for anything that you think the manual is missing or is incorrect.

And then they got rid of the legacy forums filled with so much knowledge
The legacy forum still exists. It's at the bottom of the main forum page - the section called Legacy GMC Archive. Unless you are talking about another legacy forum?

Like, the whole point of Game Maker is it's supposed to be easier to use, but now it's IMPOSSIBLE to use!
Not really. It's just as easy as it used to be once you get used to the layout of things. If it was impossible to use then I doubt we would be seeing all of the games in the WIP and Completed Games sections that have been done with GMS2. ;)

C

Cappa Games

If you have a problem with any of the documentation then raise it with Nocturne - he deals with everything in the manual. Did you also raise the incorrect documentation as a bug report?

Again, raise it with Nocturne for anything that you think the manual is missing or is incorrect.

The legacy forum still exists. It's at the bottom of the main forum page - the section called Legacy GMC Archive. Unless you are talking about another legacy forum?

Not really. It's just as easy as it used to be once you get used to the layout of things. If it was impossible to use then I doubt we would be seeing all of the games in the WIP and Completed Games sections that have been done with GMS2. ;)
It's impossible if your trying to use IAP on Mac, that's what I'm referring to. I like Game Maker 2, that's why I bought it. I have no problem using it. I'm upset because IAP for Mac don't work and I'm just left hanging for nearly 6 months. The lack of support is what REALLY bothers me.

JeffJ

When the move from GM Legacy to Studio was made, the emphasis was from day 1 heavily on cross platform, and one of the very heavily promoted features were monetization via methods like ads and IAP.

To this day, IAP is apparently still troubled even in GMS2 - and not even supported on something as exciting as Facebook Instant Games:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/facebook-instant-games.44425/#post-274034

I honestly don't get it. Sometimes I'd prefer that YoYoGames made a hard choice between either supporting features fully and stable, or not do them at all - these half measures seem to be present across the board, and IAP is pretty vital to some games. Also, when I read about Instant Games, I was really excited - until I discovered that, of course, monetization isn't supported. This is exactly why I stick to desktop and console titles in GameMaker - because you simply can't steadily rely on IAP support. This was the case in GMS1, and it's sad to see that it is still the case in GMS2. Why not just drop it altogether at this point and focus on other features?

Hyomoto

From what i know almost 95% of mobile games by Top AAA devs and also indies on Android, when pressing physical "back" button on device, it will let the users exit the app (or at least send it to the background). Not be trapped inside.

This is NOT about "an GUI button that appears on the screen". No, i never have a gui button for that function.

I set the function on backspace key press which is equivalent of tapping "Back" physical button on android device. If it is now (since 1788) ignored, so how do the players go back to homescreen by tapping the "back" button to get out?

More details are on bugs report link regarding what the problem is.
I'm not so sure on this. I suppose it often does from the menu, but typically the back button going back to the home screen is a nuisance since that's what the 'home' button is for. As an example, my messager has the phenomenal idea to return to the home screen sometimes, and return to the message list sometime. The whole point of having that back button should be so I don't have to reach to the upper left hand corner and hit a back arrow.

Modern conventions aside the buttons should be used in a way that is convenient to the user and reflects actual use cases. Who cares what 'almost all' developers are doing? Most developers are using advertising and in-app purchases to make easy money by exploiting uninformed consumers. Google still places the menu button in the upper left hand part of the screen, and if your phone has grown like many smartphones have, this is literally the furthest point away from your thumb possible. Apple got rid of the headphone jack because apparently headphones was on the list of things people wanted to charge every day. None of these things benefit the consumer in their day to day use of their phones and yet, here we are! Every one of them is a paradigm for one company or another.

What you believe is up to you, I'm just saying that when the iPhone first launched it was revolutionary and did not reflect what 95% of phone makers were doing. The status quo isn't a bad starting point, but it's also not something to blindly follow especially when it comes to games. People aren't interested in playing a clone of the game they already play, but they might be interested in a better version if it actually addresses things they don't like about the one they do. But usually players are drawn to 'the next big thing'. Ask every MMO that competed with World of Warcraft how copying their formula worked out, let's check in with the countless Minecraft clones and see how well that worked out for them. What happened to Law Breakers and Paragon? The gaming graveyards are overflowing with me too cash-ins. If you want to chase trends, you'd better get to the front of the pack is all I'm saying.

L

Lonewolff

The Linux runner has increased the number of bugs and therefore the update delay time. Let's dump it.
Agreed. You are talking maybe 2% market share now. Dump it.

UWP, X-Box, PS4 and Switch consoles have increased the bugs and update delay. Dump them.
Agreed also. I don't know about the consoles. But UWP has never worked well. You still can't even set the size of the window. My prediction is that it will be dumped at some point soon.

rIKmAN

I honestly don't get it. Sometimes I'd prefer that YoYoGames made a hard choice between either supporting features fully and stable, or not do them at all - these half measures seem to be present across the board, and IAP is pretty vital to some games. Also, when I read about Instant Games, I was really excited - until I discovered that, of course, monetization isn't supported.
I agree, when I saw Instant Games was supported I also got a bit excited and then like you once I found out monetization wasn't supported I kinda thought "Well what's the point in that?"

I'm hoping that YYG wanted to get the extension "out there" to allow devs to get a handle on the process and using the FB backend etc, whilst they added the monetization support pretty swiftly afterwards to make the extension the complete package, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until Nocturne comes back with a definitive answer.

If they aren't going to bother adding it then yeah it seems a bit pointless and they might as well have just left it for one of the extension writers to wrap and offer on the marketplace as an all in one solution, rather than spending time with a token gesture where for it to be of any value to anyone someone else is gonna have to write the ad integration stuff anyway.

Fingers crossed Noc comes back with good news!

You still can't even set the size of the window. My prediction is that it will be dumped at some point soon.
Have they fixed the cursor issue on XB1 yet - it was marked as fixed but I've read it's still an issue?
Are they both logged on Mantis?

H

HW.

@Hyomoto Thanks for your long reply. I appreciate it. I still believe what i said because I just want to please my game players on Android and i know for sure what they want (from feedbacks and lots of Android gamers that i know). And that is also what i want actually (exit if gaming session ends), including as a game player of other Android game titles made by other devs too. That's the true case. And the case has finally been resolved with a solution. Thanks YoYo team, so cheers! :D

p.s. i've never bought an iOS device in my life so far, not because i hate it. But i prefer the "affordable" one, Android, which apple fan might regard it as a clone? :p However, i am still happy now that last year i decided to buy GMS2 mobile module that bundles Android with iOS, though i don't need one of it and must pay it too. aah..nevermind i might develop a game on the exclusive platform in the future (that means at that time i already have one and enjoy it, last but not least also able to afford the whole budget too :p)

I hope all other bug fixes will get fixed too on all supported platform (modules) of GMS 2.1.4 including what TS posted here. But i prefer they release a stable version of 2.1 (and it is apparently this 2.1.4) before they jump to next 2.2 version with much more features added (based on what i read on GMS2 roadmap).

G

Ggd07

@Cappa Games, hey mate, if you are struggling with something for six months and you believe it is because of the software, then the software you purchased is broken.

Maybe try to ask for a refund?

YoYoGames always have been like that. They are in for the Cash Grab, but when it comes to helping customers they just act arrogant and disrespectful to them. Say something negative in a constructive way, they will come after you.

It's just how corporations work after being purchased by other corporations. Their humanity is sucked out of them and they care only about money.

Why do you think they still use this pathetic business model of asking you to fork out 800$ for a module. Look at Unity and UnrealEngine.

Seriously man, step up, request either a refund immediately full price, or for your problem to be resolved.

It is not right to pay money to a corporation to be able to do something, and not be able to do the thing they promise you you can do.

And for YoYoGames, people never change. I Guess GMS2 will be the same buggy mess like GMS1, with outdated documentation filled with typos and technical mistakes.

Maybe they need more cash? Hurry ,throw a bunch of cash at them because they want you to!

rIKmAN

YoYoGames always have been like that. They are in for the Cash Grab, but when it comes to helping customers they just act arrogant and disrespectful to them. Say something negative in a constructive way, they will come after you.
I'm not a fan of how slow things move at YYG in terms of features, updates and support response, and I've been vocal about many things I've been unhappy or disagreed with but nobody associated with YYG has ever been disrespectul, arrogant or "come after me".

YYG aren't Tony Soprano, calm down Mr Dramatic.

@Cappa Games - when did you report Mac IAP not working to YYG?
If it has been reported and acknowledged as a bug on Mantis and 6mths later you are still none the wiser then yeah that is unnacceptable and you are completely justified to be pissed off.

IAP not working at all on a platform (if that is the case) should be addressed as quickly as possible and if it has been 6mths then there have been updates released in that period which could/should have fixed it.

Have you tried hitting up YYG / YYG Support or any of the staff on Twitter to try and get a quicker response and get eyes on the issue than you would waiting for a reply from email support?
Why do you think they still use this pathetic business model of asking you to fork out 800$ for a module. Look at Unity and UnrealEngine.
Unreal require you to purchase a Pro Licence for $125 per month once you hit a $100k revenue threshold, and Unreal requires 5% of gross revenue after you make $3000 (this 5% is also before any platform holders such as Apple / Steam take their cuts).

If you have a successful game then using either of those engine is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than a $800 yearly fee.

If you don't have a successful game that might reach those thresholds, then what are you doing buying a console module in the first place?
They are the only modules that cost $800, which is peanuts in terms of the money needed to get on them, and that can be made back in sales on the console platforms.
And for YoYoGames, people never change. I Guess GMS2 will be the same buggy mess like GMS1, with outdated documentation filled with typos and technical mistakes.
If you thought this about GMS1 then why have you bought GMS2 and the Mobile licence?
I don't understand the logic.

I agree the documentation could be improved and Nocturne has acknowledged this himself.
Many errors I have reported with the manual have been fixed, or will be in the following update.

When you spot bugs and errors in the manual do you report them so they can be fixed, or just leave them so you have something to moan about?
Documentation errors are just like other things - if they never get reported they might never get fixed.
Maybe they need more cash? Hurry ,throw a bunch of cash at them because they want you to!
Isn't this exactly what you just did yourself when you you bought the Mobile licence and then started moaning that the resource tree can't be sorted as though you never even used it before?

Did you not think to test and use the Desktop version (or free trial) before dropping for the Mobile licence and being unhappy about it?

I agree there are LOTS of improvements that can be made to both the software and documentation but ranting like an idiot and throwing insults and accusations around isn't the way to get them heard or resolved.

Last edited:
G

Ggd07

Oh that is such a DeJavu. One of YoYo's minions coming in for you.

Yeah, I was wrong about that one. Not only YoYoGames staff acted rude to customers in the past, but minions like you also do. You talk about logic but your logic and post is about defending the company without any arguments, instead of acknowledging that problems like the OP's problem exist and should be rectified immediately. This happened in the past so much it pains me. And it's always been related to publishing on MacOS or iOS.

So you see, lets say you are developing something alone for an year. You pay artists for resources and you build something. You fork out 800$ for GM and a module you want and then funamental things do not work.

You come to the forum to be butchered by people like you, who defend corporations and their money, and even throw their money at them.

Look at the last update:
Release Notes: v2.1.3.273 - (13 Dec 2017)

Three months and nothing, and there are things that are broken and not working for people.

And yes, the resource tree is pretty retarded and it is not user friendly. Thanks for stalking my forum account by the way, to be able to throw in a couple of more rude and antagonizing sentences that will not help anyone. It just goes to show what kind of person you are. And yes, I did get the Mobile Module, as well as the GMS2 Desktop long ago. I would NEVER EVER give full price for this alpha product.

Woah, and you just compared the one time price for GM to the business models of Unity and Unreal Engine, which you can start using immediately and pretty much have access to everything they have to offer (except their subscription service addons like drag and drop and other tools that make development easier for people that do not know what they are doing), which you do not need at this point. The point is, you can just download Unity and Unreal and use them without any Trial Limitations. In case you are going to jump at me with "Then why you buy GM and why you don't go Unity". That's simple, we have a couple of project that need to be finished using GM.

You say I am ranting like an idiot and throwing insults, but what are you doing my friend? You are just blindly defending a corporation that does not care about you or the problems you might be having with their product. It just goes to show that no body wants to help anybody.

Yes, btw, I have a problem with the resource tree and I explained it. No body responded. This is a problem for me and it is pretty hilarious how such a simple feature does not work on their new rewritten IDE that all the fuzz was about, after abandoning GMS1 for GMS2 - because look at us, we rewrote the IDE, now give us more cash.

Six months to not be able to use IAPs for the project you've been working on is pretty serious to be honest. Now why would I want to create a game and not be able to use certain important monetization features that are promised to me when I purchased GMS?

Seriously, what exactly is your goal with your rude post? You say I am moaning because I purchased something and it is not working. What should I do then ? Should I contact them so that they can say they don't have this problem in their office and they wont fix anything? Or should I just keep my mouth shut because that is what you and YoYo wants.

YoYo's responses on criticizing have always been negative. They always always always jump at you without looking at the big picture, and what you did is exactly the same. You stalked my forum profile to be able to throw some rude comments that sound ridiculous.

I seriously hope you hit a wall and realize how defending this company is not the right thing to do, but they fixing the problem and providing monthly/weekly updates IS THE RIGHT THING.

Three months without any updates. Same old same old game maker.

Jumping it at people who paid good money for something that is not working as promised is not professional and IT IS a terrible practice.

Regards,
Mr. Rude Moaning Person that want's the product he bought to work the way it says on the publisher's web site.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Oh that is such a DeJavu. One of YoYo's minions coming in for you.

Yeah, I was wrong about that one. Not only YoYoGames staff acted rude to customers in the past, but minions like you also do. You talk about logic but your logic and post is about defending the company without any arguments, instead of acknowledging that problems like the OP's problem exist and should be rectified immediately. This happened in the past so much it pains me. And it's always been related to publishing on MacOS or iOS.
"Minion" LOL! :D
Check my post history, I'm far from a "minion" and have been very critical of YYG in the past without them ever "coming after me" or being rude and arrogant, even when I pushed the boundaries with my own attitude at times.

If you read my full post you would have seen I wrote a paragraph to the OP pointing out that IAP not working for 6mths is a big problem and should have been fixed in that timescale. Obviously in your eagerness to type out another rant you missed it.
You come to the forum to be butchered by people like you, who defend corporations and their money, and even throw their money at them.
I didn't butcher you, I pointed out that you were being silly: ranting and making accusations that from my own experiences clearly aren't true.
As I said I've been very critical of YYG and various features (or missing features) of GMS2 and never once experienced anything like arrogance, rudeness or "being come after" - what does that even mean btw?
Look at the last update:
Release Notes: v2.1.3.273 - (13 Dec 2017)

Three months and nothing, and there are things that are broken and not working for people.
And yes, the resource tree is pretty retarded and it is not user friendly.
Yeah I agree it's been a long time and we are all in the same boat waiting for the next update, and the resource tree bug is very annoying and something which I wish would have been patched with a hotfix as it's quite integral to the usage of GMS2.

It isn't a "showstopper" though, you just have to remember to drag the items around and drop them in a certain way (on the bottom half of the destination item) so can be worked around in the meantime.

However - looking at the bigger picture shows that since the last update there has been a 2wk Xmas break, a Switch module announcement which would have been being worked on already, and staff are at GDC this week too - all of which eats into manpower, and that's before you mention any roadmap features, other bug fixes and QA.

Not saying I agree or am happy with the wait since the last update, but I'm reasonable enough to understand why it may be happening and that YYG have much smaller teams than Unity and Unreal and so can't be compared in any way in terms of release regularity.
Thanks for stalking my forum account by the way, to be able to throw in a couple of more rude and antagonizing sentences that will not help anyone.
It's not stalking when you've made 6 posts dude, it's literally 2 mouse clicks.
Woah, and you just compared the one time price for GM to the business models of Unity and Unreal Engine, which you can start using immediately and pretty much have access to everything they have to offer
I replied to you comparing the GMS2 model with Unity and Unreal.
The point is, you can just download Unity and Unreal and use them without any Trial Limitations. In case you are going to jump at me with "Then why you buy GM and why you don't go Unity". That's simple, we have a couple of project that need to be finished using GM.
Yeah you can, but as I pointed out if you make a successful game with Unity or Unreal you will end up paying far more than $800 in royalties.
It's different business models and you have your choice of which one suits your usage and better.

If you are just tinkering around to make games for you and your family / friends then it's probably best to get a $39 Creators Licence or a $99 Desktop Licence unless you have to to be on mobile can justify spending $400 on a Mobile Licence just for a hobby.

If you can't justify that cost for hobby and have to be on mobile then Unity or Unreal may be a better option for you to get things onto your devices without any up front costs or any risk of making anything that would put you near the thresholds for royalty payments to kick in.
You say I am ranting like an idiot and throwing insults, but what are you doing my friend? You are just blindly defending a corporation that does not care about you or the problems you might be having with their product. It just goes to show that no body wants to help anybody.
I'm pointing out that you are ranting like an idiot and throwing around accusations and generally coming across badly.

I'm not blindly defending them, as I said I've been and am critical of some things but being rude and insulting isn't the way to go about getting your problems looked at and resolved. Who would you listen to if you had to choose between the person asking normally and being polite and the one calling you names, shouting his head off and accusing you of things that he really has no idea about?
Yes, btw, I have a problem with the resource tree and I explained it. No body responded.
Nobody on the forum, or nobody from YYG?
The issue is quite well known so I assume it's already logged in Mantis and fixed or due to be fixed in the next update.
Seriously, what exactly is your goal with your rude post? You say I am moaning because I purchased something and it is not working. What should I do then ? Should I contact them so that they can say they don't have this problem in their office and they wont fix anything? Or should I just keep my mouth shut because that is what you and YoYo wants.
Pot, kettle, black.
Of course you should contact them - and why would I want you to keep your mouth shut, that doesn't even make sense LOL!

Any bugs you file that get fixed benefit me (and other users) and vice versa, but the way to go about getting things fixed and improved isn't by never reporting bugs, ranting about your issues on an unofficial forum and getting defensive when someone challenges your poor attitude.
YoYo's responses on criticizing have always been negative. They always always always jump at you without looking at the big picture, and what you did is exactly the same. You stalked my forum profile to be able to throw some rude comments that sound ridiculous.
Got any examples of YYG "jumping at you" or "coming after you"?
I would stalk your profile again to see how badly you've been treated but as I said you only have 6 posts so it's kinda hard.
I seriously hope you hit a wall and realize how defending this company is not the right thing to do, but they fixing the problem and providing monthly/weekly updates IS THE RIGHT THING.
I hit a wall early on with regards to Spine support.
Instead of ranting and calling them names I did my best to try get things improved by trying to get YYG and Esoteric talking to each other and in the end had to leave it in the hands of YYG to move forward with the information I had been able to add to the conversation we were having.

I was frustrated by the answers I got from them, but at no point were they rude, arrogant or any of the other things you describe despite me pushing the issue multiple times and them having every right to be annoyed by me.

I assume you want to keep using GMS2 and for it to be as good as it possibly can be, the same way we all do, and that your frustration is coming from a good place where you just wish the product was better than it currently is - that's where I was with Spine support.

But venting it in the way you are by name calling, accusing and bagging on the product isn't going to get you very far - that's all I'm saying.
Three months without any updates. Same old same old game maker.
Then I ask again, if you had this experience with GMS1 then why did you buy GMS2?
If I bought something that I thought was a pile of garbage, whether it be software, a car, a game - anything - I can guarantee you I wouldn't be buying V2 of the same product when they released it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.