• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows When could i pay for the "Desktop" version?

T

TonyChan

I want to transfer my project to gms2. But there is a limit for the beta version.

hippyman

How am I going to import an RPG into a beta that let's me use like five objects?! :p
Limitations

*Fifteen objects..... But I am also curious when the Windows export beta is planned and how that is all going to happen. Will they just update the software we have when the export betas are ready or will it be a similar process of signing up for different each individual beta, or are all the export betas closed?

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
For now, we are at, if i'm reading right, Q4 2016 - Public Beta
Then we'll go to, Desktop Beta: Q4 2016. So somewhere in december I guess.
Then Q1 2017: Launch
So between January 1 and March 31.

I think that Desktop beta will permit more resources and export to .exe. (I hope)

Reactions: 607
B

Bert Byfield

GameMaker 1 is terminal. GameMaker 2 is crippled. So my project came to a screeching halt today. I'm looking into Unity and VB.NET while I wait...

A

Ariak

As a hobbyist myself I completely agree with the general sentiment. Limited ressources allows testing of the new features. Yet, creating new projects for every feature in order to keep it ready for when the restriction are lifted is quite exhausting.
I'm still in the early stages of creating a game. Seeing as e.g. tile system in GMS2 is vastly superior to that of GMS1.x I'm very reluctant to invest any time in creating a "world" for my game. Instead, I'm skirting around the issue by developing systems that going to be largely unaffected when porting to GMS2. All of that is good, but not very fun. I'd rather dive headlong into all the new features and see how they interact with what i've got currently set up, but i can't becasue of the ressource limit. It just creates lethargy.

Despite all this, I support YoYo's position! They are essentially handing out free copies of GMS2.
The ressource restriction is, amongst other thing, likely driven by financial reasoning. Testers get to see all the features, but still have an incentive to buy the product when it releases. Seeing as YoYo put in an enormous amount of work by recreating everything from scratch I cannot fault them at all. To this point, requesting paid beta access sounds appealing, but is unlikely to happen. A paid product would impose certain contractual obligations on YoYo games, such as to deliver a working product. As this is a beta they cannot - and should not - guarantee this. By providing everyone with free beta access YoYo invites testers from all skill levels/demographics. This is great for product development, and ultimatelty we all stand to benefit from this.

@Juju : Patience is truly a virtue. You already have (mostly?) unresticted access to GMS2 though. A little ironic ;)

Edit: i was wrong :D Hurray!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cpaz

For now, we are at, if i'm reading right, Q4 2016 - Public Beta
Then we'll go to, Desktop Beta: Q4 2016. So somewhere in december I guess.
Then Q1 2017: Launch
So between January 1 and March 31.

I think that Desktop beta will permit more resources and export to .exe. (I hope)
Here's the issue with that. Yoyogames is making this. Have you seen previous promised dates? *COUGH*thenewforums*COUGH* *COUGHCOUGH*MARKETPLACE*COUGHCOUGH*.
Though, if it does come out on time will will be pleased (as will literally everyone else waiting).

EDIT: Welp. They did it! Good job Yoyogames! Here's hoping that this is a sign of things to come!

Last edited:
N

NPT

Should YYGs start selling the Beta product now, they will be heavily critisized for precisely that selling a Beta product. No matter how much they inform people that it is a Beta product, and may contain bugs people won't accept that so long as they paid for it.

Cripes, there's people in other topics who are complaining because they're "stuck" because they've hit the resource liitations and can't convert back to Studio 1.

gnysek

They are fixing all bugs we reported in open beta - as soon as they fix the most important ones, I think they will release paid beta. Or, they gonna release next limited beta this week, and then full desktop beta in mid December. (but not in a week before Christmas, as who want to spend Christmas fixing fatal bugs?).
Even if IDE have no fatal bugs inside, there are some bugs in runner (which is shared with 1.4), so they need to fix it for both GameMakers, that's why it takes so much time.