Discussion When application meets gaming

J

jb skaggs

most of my programming ideas tend to be a blend of application plus game mechanics. Which turns out to be more difficult for me than you would think.

As how do you integrate one into the other?

Write the application then add gaming elements?

Or vice versa?

Would you try and write it all in Gamemaker? Or maybe write in the application in visual form designer (like qtdesigner), and embed a gamemaker window, or just write it all in qt?

Previously when I did this on LINUX I used a language called GAMBAS, and I ended up calling existing programs and embedding them rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Linux users tended to be more flexible about prerequisites etc.

Where as windows users when they download they want it to just work not extra libraries or dependencies etc.

your thoughts?

JB

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
As how do you integrate one into the other?
Depends what you want to create. Are you creating apps / utilities that behave like games -- i.e., have game-like features?

Or are you embedding a game into the app, like an "easter egg" for example?

J

jb skaggs

I tend to create applications for writers. But I like them to behave more like games in their presentation.

Solid multi line text editing boxes, but graphic timers, animated characters, splashes, sfx, mapmaker, award badges, drag and drop of items etc.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I tend to create applications for writers. But I like them to behave more like games in their presentation.

Solid multi line text editing boxes, but graphic timers, animated characters, splashes, sfx, mapmaker, award badges, drag and drop of items etc.
The notion of animated characters in word processing software reeks of the detestable Microsoft "clippy". Not trying to discourage you from writing apps, but I'm not convinced game elements have much place in them.

On the other hand, I think there's a place for "gamification" in learning software.

EDIT: less wishy washy

Last edited:
J

jb skaggs

The notion of animated characters in word processing software reeks of the detestable Microsoft "clippy".
No not like that. Not that kind of character. The character isnt involved in the word processing. The character is involved in setting tasks and giving rewards for achieving tasks. The tasks are related to the output of the word processor.

So would you embed the word processor into a game, or the game into the word processor?

JB