• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What's your favourite video game music?

O.Stogden

Couple more that I've come across:

Nice mash-up of the best songs in Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.

Really enjoyed Dual Destinies actually, more than any other Ace Attorney game I've played. I played it back in 2014 on the iPad and forgot about it haha.

And then, of course, the best song to ever feature in a video game:

Lukasmah

Oh, there's too much good game music for me to pick a favourite, but here's an obscure gem I think more people should know about. Obviously inspired by Ennio Morricone and such.

S

Sybok

Some of my favourites of all time have gotta be the Ocean tape loaders on the Commodore 64.

O.Stogden

Going back to Transistor songs, as I've recently been compiling a playlist of songs to listen to as I program.

And

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
Really enjoyed Dual Destinies actually, more than any other Ace Attorney game I've played. I played it back in 2014 on the iPad and forgot about it haha.
That kinda goes against it, if it's so forgettable. I mean yeah, it's good. I feel like it's the weakest I've played from the series though. The cases weren't too interesting except the last one. I even bought the DLC and thought it was just fine. I just felt like it didn't bring a lot of new things to the table, and going into 3D animation just kinda set it back in character expressions. YOu just can't translate the over-the-top expressions from the old games to new ones. At least not easily. But yeah, Justice For All is where it's at.

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
One surprising game with an incredible soundtrack which often slips under the radar (probably because most of the best tracks don't actually feature in the game) is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I didn't realise it even had a soundtrack while playing it, because 95% of what you hear is ambience, but I stumbled across the official soundtrack on Spotify and there are some absolute gems.
Brennenburg Theme, Lux Tenebras and Theme for Unknown are probably my favourites, but they are all great. Mikko Tarmia who scored the game also did SOMA which came out much more recently, and that also has some beautiful music, albeit with more of a sci-fi flair. In any case, all the tracks make great background music for DnD campaigns as I've discovered!

Rayek

The very first game that sported music which made me want to play the game more was Snafu on the Intellivision. Back in 1981!

Rayek

Music from game music composer Chris Huelsbeck I still listen to. Apidya, Turrican,...

Shadowfire's C64 game tune still rocks.