Discussion What's your favorite Linux distro?

• Thread starter Sam (Deleted User)
  • Start date
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Mine is Kubuntu. It uses KDE as its Desktop Environment and it overall is a beautiful experience. Since it is basically the same thing as plain old Ubuntu, except using KDE instead of GTK+, it can run most GMStudio Linux-targeted games without much trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

O.Stogden

I usually use Linux on low powered devices, so a light weight distro that's still got good support is what I go for.

Lubuntu and Xubuntu are ones I've used

dapper

Ubuntu- I've liked Mint in the past, but that was primarily for Cinnamon being built-in.

Ubuntu is stable and it's popular enough to have widespread support and use outside of hobbies- and that's all I'm really looking for in an OS.

Ihato

Apparently, I'm the most experienced user in this thread so far considering I use a tiling window manager :cool:.

I have no favorite (I'm currently on Debian though) but I'll just throw it out that I hate DEs that try to turn GNU/Linux into Windows (like KDE) or OS X (like GNOME). Simply because tutorials on how to do anything using a GUI are absolutely abysmal to follow.

Jabbers

I haven't used Linux for years, but I used to have openSUSE installed, and I was interested in Arch as well. I had Xubuntu on an old iBook for a while, but I never really used it.

Mercerenies

Nice to see some Ubuntu love here. It's what I'm running currently. Although I can't speak for a "favorite", as no other distro seems to run on my hardware. Still, I'm happy enough with it.

Cameron

Quite a hoot. What's your favorite cereal, is it sausage?

As for me, in regards to this thread, I can't say I'm too picky, as long as they aren't too strange a variant. I like linux mint which is based on debian and ubuntu according to the website, but I also have an nvidia jetson nano that is based off ubuntu and some raspberry pi's (3b+, pi zero, pi zero w) that use raspbian which is Debian based. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the ubuntu and debian slants, they all seem to take the same commands in the command line. Then again, I'm relatively new to the linux world so I'm by no means a pro.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I've switched to KDE neon (again) and I think I've decided I like it better than Kubuntu at this stage, because it comes packaged with newer stuff from KDE than Kubuntu, and there's less software bloat of things I don't want/need installed on a fresh Linux distro installation. Also, GM games run out of the box on KDE neon, without needing to install any packages from the terminal, because it's based on the same LTS version of Ubuntu currently supported by GMS2. It only gets LTS release updates, iirc, so that's a plus in my book. I prefer having a Linux OS that is as stable as it can be, and KDE neon is pretty solid.

And for all the Canonical and Microsoft haters out there, KDE neon, just like Linux Mint, is completely detached from direct association with and influence from Canonical and Microsoft, despite both KDE neon and Linux Mint being based on Ubuntu, they are in no way affiliated with these two companies you might be worried about. It's a win/win for GM users looking for a vanilla KDE experience, while having a Linux OS that will support your GM games as-is. Linux Mint dropped KDE support, so KDE neon could not be a better option for those of you who fit this particular audience. I'm still saving up to get the KDE Slimbook.

https://neon.kde.org/

These screenshots aren't much to look at, but I find there is beauty in its simplicity.

However, KDE neon is anything but lightweight, much like any other distro running the K Desktop Environment, and thus I would steer clear of trying to install it on older machines, especially if there is data on your older machine that can't be replaced and you don't care to back up. I've almost corrupted my Windows install on one of my older computers, just trying to install KDE neon as a dual boot with Windows 7 64-bit. KDE neon also has no 32-bit version, as it aims to have the latest KDE technology.

That said, if your machine is particularly old or slow, with terribly outdated specs, I'd recommend installing something a bit faster and more light-weight like XFCE as your desktop environment. Xubuntu has a very bland interface. I'd go with Manjaro XFCE personally, but because it is based on Arch Linux, it won't necessarily be guaranteed to run your GMS2 games out of the box without a visit from your Manjaro package manager. XFCE is pretty well known for being a desktop environment that can make the most out of your machine's hardware and specs, with the best performance, and very little resource usage. But if you want your GMS2 games to run then use Xubuntu.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Just installed KaOS, which is like KDE neon visually because of the same Desktop Environment (KDE) and Window Manager (KWin) but it uses the pacman Package Manager similar to Arch Linux and is a bit more lightweight, but still looks very nice. I prefer this one over KDE neon partially because it is shipped with more themes to customize it with, but I really do not like the package manager so I'm probably going to switch back to neon at some point.

Coded Games

I primarily use Ubuntu for my desktop Linux needs. I don't know if it's my favorite, I'm not the biggest fan of it's interface. Raspbian and Debian for Pi stuff like PiHole, OpenMediaVault and OctoPrint.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
I use Ubuntu because it has the best compatibility with my laptop.
It just gets things done the quickest because many people have it.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

So... I just made a "linux distro"... if that's even something to call it. It's a copy of my current configurations in the form of an iso file. If you go through the trouble of burning it to a DVD, it's nothing more than a temporary session and has no way to install it on your system permanently, but that may change in a future version. lel

GM-made linux games will work on it out-of-the-box since it is Ubuntu-based. Download. Password for login is "password". I might make a topic about this.