What's your favorite AAA game?

T

Tate

Just wanted to know what you guy's favorite game outside of indie was?

T

Tate

Or I guess you can post your favorite indie game too, but just wanted to know about your favorite AAA game.

H

HW.

AAA game i am currently playing and so addicted to it is "Clash Royale" by Supercell. (Android)

Why i like Clash Royale?
- Realtime Gameplay
**Realtime** Online Multiplayer, Challenge with other players and even with teamwork 2players vs 2players in realtime, so not playing alone
- Frequent updates
Creative and not lazy developers, they are so diligent to experiment and take feedbacks from the community
- Mobile
I can play anytime, anywhere, whenever, wherever.
-Social
Can interact with people in my clan, chatting and playing together.

Outside of mobile world, on PC i also love the super AAA game: "Grand Theft Auto" series by Rockstar Games :p

Why i love GTA?
Stunning 3D Gameplay and Graphics. It is like in a real world and i can do almost anything that is so.. so.. INCREDIBLE. lol stealing cars, driving tank/airplane and exploring the world WOW it is freedom. Playing this game is like i am in "Fast and Furious" movie scenes (shooting,racing,exploding,etc). I love the part when i can collect cars and many hidden items or missions :cool::p

Last edited by a moderator:

Coded Games

I have a number of favorite games: The Last of Us, Bioshock (all the games), Nier: Automata, Rocket League, Overwatch, Dishonored, and Titanfall 2.

JackTurbo

The XCom reboots, both one and two are probably my favourite true AAA games.

My favourite big budget indie is The Banner Saga 2 though.

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
What makes a game "AAA"? Are all games from large corporate studios considered AAA?

Either way, people should say a few words about their favorite, like telling us why they enjoyed it so much. Otherwise there's not much discussion value here.

R

Rukiri

Could say CS:Go (I'm meh at it...) Battlefield(love hard mode, and when I get bored well my team dies with me :) ) Rocket League, Dark Souls, Zelda.

Favorite RPG of all time...damn it's between Chrono Trigger or Seiken Densetsu 3. Which are both from Square :p

M

MadGatsby

Kingdom Hearts 2 was, is, and probably always will be my fave game ever (AAA or otherwise). So much unadulterated epic fun in that smooth and awesome battle system. The game is too corny for it's own good but it's an absolute blast to play! And as always, gameplay is king.

Uncharted 3, Dead Space 2, Persona 4 G, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us are also all amazing AAA games

Coded Games

Is explaining why a game is good necessary? I usually find that knowing as little as possible about a game is the best way to play it. Because of this I usually avoid watching game trailers or reading detailed reviews other than their final scores.

This is how I went into playing Nier: Automata. I knew that the game had really good ratings and I knew the main character was hot; the stereotypical Japanese female protagonist. That was all, and it was absolutely the perfect way to approach this game.

This game is honestly one of the best games I have played, period. If you must know more about this game here is a really good review:

Although, if you think there is even a slight chance that you'll get this game I would suggest not watching or reading anything about it.

Z

zendraw

'An AAA game (usually pronounced "triple A game") is an informal classification used for video games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. AAA game development is associated with high economic risk, with high levels of sales required to obtain profitability.'
Thanks, WIKI. dont know bout aaa, but my all time favorites are f.e.a.r. NFSMW 2005 devil may cry 3 and unreal tournament 2004 and probably diablo 2. aand few more, actually how do you expect any1 to have only 1 favorite game?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is explaining why a game is good necessary? <snip>
In a discussion forum, I think it's a good idea. Just listing games (like the first few posts) will get this topic closed. That's why I encouraged people to say a few words about what they liked. Like your response, for example. I'm not asking anyone to reveal plot details.

Not sure if Ubisoft's Rayman Series is considered AAA (whatever that means). But those look really good. I haven't actually played them, but the video trailers and play-throughs look nice. The artwork is excellent and I was impressed by the attention to detail.

G

Guest User

my favorite games have always been the Ratchet and Clank games. i like the humor, and the stories have always been oddly detailed and satisfyingly lengthy for a game whose premise is just Shoot Things With Cool Guns.

though i've always thought the same thing about the first couple Halo games. oddly well thought out and interesting story.

JackTurbo

Kingdom Hearts 2
But that intro... What possessed them to make the into roxas section so damned long!?

I was actually working at a games retailer not long after it came out, and I can attest to the number of returned copies that intro caused!

0.Bytes

GTA, the infinite possibilities, the open world, the story, which is always good on GTA series, the game is awesome !

11clock

Ninjatown for the DS. An underrated gem with top-notch tower defense gameplay that has its own twists to keep the player engaged at all times. The game can also be very challenging, especially getting the highest rank in each level. FYI: I am not even a fan of tower defense games.

I also love its simple presentation and silly story that doesn't take itself seriously. The characters are great!

A

Alex Lyons

GTAV, it's like real life but no real consequences for your actions.

A

ajan-ko

You mean AAA with high budget games?
The first thing pop in my mind is Dragon age: origins, no, not that 3rd one.

Is dark souls AAA?
ah, I almost forgot MGS series.

K

Kuro

Morrowind. The AAA industry hasn't produced anything close to it since.

It had a beautifully immersive 3D world that drew you in with its wierdly alien landscape that made you curious to explore it more. It was good because of its complexity, although that also made it hard to get into. For example, combat during lower levels felt horrible due to lots of missing blows, making the combat feel a bit wishy washy, which was a result of the D&D inspired way in which it calculated hits. That was something that many people had trouble getting past. Later on in the game combat would start to feel more satisfying, and the complexity would lead the player to have a lot of variables they could play around with when min/maxing their character, especially thanks to the enchanting system. You could also craft your own spells as well.

Many of the spells were fun. Like water walking, levitation. Later in the game you could, if you put the effort into enchanting the right equipment, fly around almost permanently. Something that Bethesda stopped doing in their later elder scrolls games so they could have cities behind doors/loading screens for the sake of console framerates and technical limitations. But it was immensely satisfying flying around like a character out an ancient chinese myth. And like all good mythologies the game had vampires and warewolves.

There were a lot of secrets hidden in Morrowind, and there were a lot of occasions you'd stumble on treasure that wasn't the result of a quest, but the result of you going out of your way to be nosey. It was very sandboxy. Could spend hours doing things, not because an NPC told you do help them with something, but because the world had such depth that you'd inevitably come up with goals of your very own. It's a sublime masterpiece that Bethesda will never be able to top. And all their games since have been but mere shadows of Morrowind. It was all the rough edges that made Morrowind so great, and today's games can't come close becasue they have all these sharp corners sanded down so noone can hurt themselves.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
The best AAA is probably the one I played the most. Back in my youth... Rainbow six: Ravenshield. In coop with my friend, we played countless hours challenging 30 terrorists on all maps, seeking the perfect 'score'. No direct way to the goal, you can use multiple tactics. Coordinates actions with your Partner, dying in a single shot(or two). Awesome! The maps we're well made, you can approach every combat in a different way. Of course we've played the first in the serie, R6, Rogue Spear, etc...(Rogue Spear is great too) but RS is the best of my generation. (They lost me with R6 Vegas...)
A special mention to: Diablo 1 and 2, Battlefield:1942, Neverwinter night, Icewind Dale 1, Doom(dos), Duke Nukem 3d, Hitman, Mega Man 2, Zelda 1(nes) and Zelda: a link to the past(snes).

H

hrtstudios

I second Kuro mine is probably Morrowind too, there's something about that game that feels vast and mysterious. It was better than Skyrim in my opinion, maybe part of that was lack of fast travel so you actually had to go (on foot) everywhere.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

My favourite AAA game plants vs zombies garden warfare 2
Why, it has quests, 2 playable teams("1 plants","2 zombies")
It's a fusion of third person and first person shooter. It has 6 playable characters on both teams plants and zombies, it has online gameplay and a open world environment.
Indie AAA game, ancient ants made with game maker
Why, it's arcade, its action, it's real time strategy, it's 3d, it's cartoonish it's proves game maker is a powerful tool.

K

Kenjiro

Hibba dibba da dibba do.

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
This year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Goddamn what a beautiful way to introduce a new console.

Recent times: Fallout 4. I've never been so immersed in a game in my life. Everything that steered me away from Fallout 3 and New Vegas (both of which I tried to love, having loved Elder Scrolls: Oblivion* and Skyrim*) was gone, and most of the new stuff was to my taste - the weapon and armour customisation and particularly settlement construction were both features that I loved, the latter sucking up probably 100 hours of my playtime overall.

All time: Bully. Of all of the games I've ever played, Bully has been the closest to perfection. Everything - the map size, the missions, the side missions, the things to do outside of those - has a perfect quantity, never outstaying its welcome and always being enjoyable. The game is like Grand Theft Auto with less malice, less death, and honed and refined so there's no excessively large areas on the map, no single difficulty-spike missions, no overlong side quests - even the weakest bits of Bully required to hit 100% (the arcade games and the shooting range in the carnival) are done quickly enough that they're not too problematic.

Other notable games - Minecraft would likely be my most-played game, Pokémon Yellow would be the game I have most nostalgia for that I can no longer enjoy very much (too slow, too buggy, mer), Super Mario Odyssey is my most anticipated, and Spyro the Dragon 1-3 on PS1 would be most influential - they're the reason I took such a vivid interest in the idea of making games.

*to provide a counterpoint to the person above stating Morrowind as their favourite game, I actually really disliked Morrowind, where Oblivion finally sold me on Elder Scrolls. While it was a shame that some of Morrowind's more outrageous possibilities were toned down or removed in Oblivion, Morrowind was way too much of a stat-juggler for me. Luck especially did my nut in - when I visibly watch as my sword swings through an enemy, I expect that enemy to take damage - not have some random dice roll, in a real-time RPG, tell me that I didn't hit! It's different strokes for different folks for sure, I just prefer my games with fewer things to worry about.

And I would welcome if Elder Scrolls 6 came with an option to completely 100% remove any ability to permanently balls up your progress - I still haven't got over the fact that during my first run in Skyrim, I accidentally hit a chicken in Riverwood right before the game decided to do its first autosave. The entire village went aggressive on me, including the man needed to continue playing the game. I had to redo the entire first hour of play, including the INTRODUCTION THAT TAKES A MILLION YEARS, so I could actually play the storyline. But only an option, if you're masochistic enough to like that you can obliterate an hour's gameplay by nudging a PS3's nasty squidgy R2 trigger and trigger a sword swing on Mrs Hen, Love of the Village, then you absolutely keep playing like that!

Last edited:
G

Greys0n

I am not a fan of online games. Prefer games in real life like board games or puzzle games. Not so long ago I had a great experience in LA escape rooms. I and my friends were in “Impossible Mission” room, https://thequestfactory.com/escape-rooms/mission-impossible/ . Smart high-tech puzzles and great story line. One word AWESOME!

Yokcos

Nier: Automata has the greatest mackerel in all of videogames.

anyway my fave is Team Fortress 2. There's so much mechanical skill there, it's exactly what I play videogames for. Give you an example: rocket jumping. Done well you can get across the map in half the time it would take you to walk, sometimes quicker depending on the map. If you can rjump well you can seize the high ground in any engagement, you can chase down any enemy, you can escape any battle. But it's dang hard to do and if you lack skill getting yourself killed it just as likely as the intended result. This kind of "difficult to execute but highly rewarding" skill is so very prevalent in this game and only set to increase with coming updates.

S

Storyteller

Metroid II and Super Metroid, the GBA Metroid games.
The ability to explore, alter the game world, interact with things set the stage for many games that came later, defining the term 'genre-defining'.
Metroid II especially with the way both the Metroid enemies and the world kept changing as you went forward, through earthquakes and floods.

Final Fantasy 5.
While FF3 also had a job system (actually FF 1 did, but I digress) FF5 brought it out into the light. There are nuances of play in FF5 that lead it to be a very in depth game. While the graphics are dated now, they are very beautiful and readable. The storyline is intriguing and in many places, unexpected. While 6, 7 and 8 were much darker in tone, FF5 is just a really 'feel good' game. It has tons of replay value and a variety of side missions and locations to explore.

Soul Caliber II (PS2)
incredibly responsive gameplay, very customizable and fairly balanced once you learn each character. SCIII was a let down for me and I havent played one since.

Xenogears
unique gameplay in both world map and combat, a blend of 2d and 3d unmatched for its era, one of the best soundtracks and storylines for a game ever made. While a LONG game, it held one's interest with constantly escalating power, continual exposition of the underlying world/setting/storyline, philosophical preponderances and a cast of characters, playable and NPC that had depth and development. While there are a few things Idve done differently, this is one the games that has driven me here.

I could name a dozen more, but these are rather 'my favorites'.
You will notice Ive not played many new games in the last 5-10 years.

Z

Ziphold

my favorite games have always been the Ratchet and Clank games. i like the humor, and the stories have always been oddly detailed and satisfyingly lengthy for a game whose premise is just Shoot Things With Cool Guns.

though i've always thought the same thing about the first couple Halo games. oddly well thought out and interesting story.
My man!

Too many games to mention I find fun to play, but here's a few off the top of my head that stood out.

New School:
Bioshock Infinite
- Awesome world design, buildings floating in the clouds, polished gameplay, and a generally fascinating story.

Relatively New School:
Just Cause 2
- The game I played a lot in recent years and keep going back to now and then is Just Cause 2.
- Open world, loads of vehicles to drive / fly / boat about in, grappling hook, endless possibilities for destruction as well as exploration. Loads of cool Easter Eggs to discover.
- I've finished all the missions and explored most of the map, and still only at around 45% completion I think!

Fallout 3
- Loved the world they built in this game. Post-Apocalyptic WasteLand. Enjoyed seeing things/buildings on the horizon, wondering what they were and journeying to them. Exploring abandoned supermarkets. Discovering all the side quests.

Note : Would probably rank Fallout 4, but haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Old School:
Civilization 1
- Spent many many hours on that one. Very re-playable. Preferred the simple map design to the sequels. Very real sense of discovery and exploration. Loved the building up of an empire over time.

G

GenaCtoto

GTA 5. I played gta series as a child and teen (Nobody cared about 18+ rate), I missed GTA 4, so the first time I launched GTA 5 I caught a fit of nostalgia.
Now I'm waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2. I've heared they gonna use such 3d scanners, so face graphic should be really realistic. HoweverI always thought that they have used them in GTA 5../

The Witcher 3. I love the universe, I love the books, I love Polish (I'm Russian, so Polish isn't difficult for me). I played first part as a kid. Second part showed me such bad gameplay, that I would never play it, if it wasn't about Geralt. But the third part. Really amazing.

L

Leafi

Probably Civilization 5. 6 is good, but feels like it needs some DLC or something.

Zelda, Mario, Metroid....basically anything by Nintendo. Secret of Mana, Soul Blazer series. Castlevania, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil. A bunch of others.

W

Wraithious

Star Ocean, any version, except the latest one, altho the graphics were top notch in the last one the storyline wasn't as good and had comparativley much shorter gameplay. The previous releases tho had everything, good graphics, solid controls, and a unique (at their first release time) skill point system that let you control the skill growth of each character apart from their leveling system, and if you did it correctly you could build skill levels quite quickly but if you did it in the wrong order you waste skill points and advance much more slowly. The story lines and alternate endings and involved side quests were pretty epic too.

I'd have to say the Wild Arms series was allmost as good, as was with Final Fantasy 7