Game Mechanics what's the relation of the sprite size with the tile size?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Sevorih, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Sevorih

Sevorih Member

Hi, I've been new to this journey of making games. But in some tutorials on the internet I've heard some people talk superficially about this topic, when they always have their player sprite in the same size as their tiles. Is there any specific reason for that? Can I make a diferent size tileset from my player sprite size in a easy way?
    Really curious about the answers, thanks in advance for whoever tackle this topic!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Greenwitch

Greenwitch Member

Well, it all depends what you wanna do with it. Generally, it doesn't matter. Maybe you wanna make a rogue-like dungeon crawler where your sprites have to sit perfectly within each square? In that case, why the heck not. It's all back to however you see it fit.

But in terms of other things, no, it's irrelevant. You can make your sprite any size you want as well as your tileset.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sevorih like this.
  3. JackTurbo

JackTurbo Member

Also depends largely on your art style and perspective. In my game for example most my characters are around 1 tile wide but between 1.5 and 2 tiles tall (although their collision masks are just slightly smaller than one tile).

But then I'm not using grid based movement or anything.

Like most things in game dev there are multiple approaches and which is best will largely depend on the specifics of your own project

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

There's plenty of reasons:
    • Having characters take up roughly 1-2 tiles makes collision checking much easier, since you can get away with checking just their corners for collision with the tiles most of the time. Characters that are much bigger than a tile easily can get a tile stuck inside them if you just do this, on the other hand.
    • This also applies to secondary uses of collisions, like pathfinding and finding valid positions to spawn randomly-spawned objects.
    • Having tile sizes be pretty big means you can more easily measure distances in the level editor, instantly seeing if a jump is possible or not just by counting how many tiles big it is.
    • Having tile and sprite sizes correspond to each other makes it easier to have a consistent graphical style among all your assets.

5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84 Firehammer Games

Besides the above mentioned things, I just want to say that you should at the least make sure that you are using the same size pixels for everything. Tile size compared to sprite size isn't near as important. This is an issue because if you are making pixel art stuff you don't want to be scaling stuff very much because having different pixel sizes clashes bad usually.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.