• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What's the difference between Scaling?

E

Edmanbosch

Scaling->Keep aspect ratio and Scaling->Full Scale give the same result.
Nothing changes.
Keep aspect ratio

Full Scale

PS
Yes i know about
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...d-aspect-ratio-management-for-gms1-gms2.7106/
But i want to see black bars or or some difference...
Scaling working or it bugged?
Is the size of your window the same ratio as your game? If it is, that's why there is no difference. Respect Aspect Ratio tries to keep the same ratio when scaling, and adds black bars if the size does not have the correct ratio. Full Scale does not do this, and instead would just scale the game to any size, even if it is an incorrect ratio for your game. This would result in stretching for incorrect ratios, which looks really bad(at least for 2D games).

RangerX

Keep Aspect Ratio
- GameMaker scales up your game at the biggest size possible while respecting screen ratio. This also mean it will automatically letterbox your game when the display you're using is not the same screen ratio as your view size.

FullScale
- GameMaker scales up your game at the biggest size possible and that's all. This also means stretching will happen when your game's resolution and the display resolution is at odd.

Right now you don't see any difference because your view size/port size/application surface vs your monitor's resolution is all 16:9 of screen ratio.

U

User

Thank you. I understood.
But still it's a strange option. Full scale in most cases distorts the graphics.

D

dannyjenn

Full Scale option is indeed useless. I dunno why they though they should include it.
Just a guess, but maybe full scale is slightly less intense on the GPU?

Or it could just be a remnant from the really old versions of GameMaker. Back in those days most screens were 4:3 and the default view size was 4:3 (I think), so it wasn't even really an issue. No idea why they would have carried this feature over into Studio though.

Or perhaps some people just like the stretched out look for some reason? I remember the Game Boy Advance had this feature. Some emulators do it too. And some TVs do it. No idea why. Maybe the empty space just annoys some people, so they'd rather the entire screen be filled even if it means making the graphics look bad?
(Though with the Game Boy Advance, and emulators, and TVs, you at least get the choice to use it or not use it. With GameMaker you have to go along with whatever the game's designer set it to...)

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

Yeah I guess its "options for options", the likes of they want GMS to be able to do it if someone makes a use of it.
Stretching a media should be illegal and a crime though. :p