• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What's the best method for assigning attributes to NPC?

B

brickdish

Hi I am working on an adventure/text based/visual novel style game project and looking for some help on assigning randomly chosen attributes to NPCs.

I want the player to be in charge of a team and send them on different missions but each team member has a randomly chosen set of attributes; searching, hunting, gathering. Their "skill level" determines the outcome of their mission. For example, I send Bob on a searching mission to find a new location. He has a 4/5 searching attribute. This converts into a percentage that he has a 55% chance of finding location A (best), 30% chance of finding location B (okay), 15% chance of finding location C (worst). After he is sent on the mission, the game uses those percentages to return a location, A, B or C. Therefore allowing the story to branch off in potentially three directions.

I have done some of Shaun Spalding's tutorials and The Friendly Cosmonaut. The direction that I want to take this game in is different to the top down RPG games or 2D platformers. I have tried searching online but not really found any definitive answers.

I could keep their attributes predetermined but for the sake of replay-ability I would like to have it randomised.

All help is very welcomed.

Thanks

Nidoking

How much do you already know about variables and random functions? Because that's what you seem to be asking for.

TheouAegis

When the player selects the option to start a new game, generate a series of random values and assign them to each of the characters. This seems like a pretty basic question.